It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Urine tests for PM Dr.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
    Kerrysqueaky
    (female)

Kerrysqueaky HB User
    Urine tests for PM Dr.

My last PM Dr never tested me but my new one does for every visit. I had a cold this weekend and took some nyquil so I didn't take my Norco because I don't like to mix. I will be taking one the morning of my Monday appointment though. Will the nyquil be a problem and do they test for too little norco in your system? I didn't realize they could stop treating me if I test off. Mine is as needed though.

Just curious what they are testing for and what other experiences are. I don't do any drugs besides what's prescribed or drink. But I am all paranoid now!! Eek!!

Will the one norco 10 be sufficient for that test or should I take some tomorrow to be safe?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
    Re: Urine tests for PM Dr.

The nyquil won't show up on a UA. It depends on how your Norco is dosed. How many are you supposed to take a day at what intervals?

Yes they do test for too little meds in your system, as well as too much, or meds that aren't supposed to be there. The reasoning behind checking for too little amount of meds is that addicts and dealers do go to PM docs to get prescriptions for meds that they turn around and sell. If you go to a PM doc complaining of Pain and they RX you meds at so many per so many hours a day, they expect you to take the meds as they prescribe them. If your not taking them, they either figure you don't need them, or can red-flag you as an abuser and that can get you dismissed from Pain Management with a note in your records.

Kat

Old 06-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

I agree with Kat. What level they are looking for depends on if you are supposed to be taking it around the clock or as needed. If as needed, they will ask when the last time you took it. A med like that will be out of your system very fast. For the future, you may want to choose a different cold med. I'd consult your doctor about what can be appropriate to take with your pain meds so you don't need to stop taking them (assuming you are taking them around the clock). You are right that its not a good idea to mix something sedating with a pain med (unless directed by your doctor).

What cold symptoms were you trying to treat? A lot of the combo cold meds have ingredients that everyone doesn't need. Nyquil has Tylenol, cough suppressant, and an antihistamine (which is sedating for some people). I like to choose ingredients individually--most often Sudafed for congestion, cough drops for a sore throat, etc. I don't find I need the cough suppressant, Tylenol, etc. Best wishes.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
    Kerrysqueaky
    (female)

Kerrysqueaky HB User

The usual runny nose, cough, achy, sore throat symptoms. And thank you for understanding why I would not be uncomfortable mixing. Yes mine is as needed for the Norco but I Do take it every day, three times a day. And I called my Dr's office three times a few weeks ago about the pain I was in(that was my very bad week) and no one ever called me back so I figured on a Saturday I would for sure not get any answers on mixing cold meds and my meds. And I will for sure bring it up to him Monday. I've haven't been sick yet while on my medication so It's never been something I thought to question. My reasoning may not make sense to some people but I am extra careful with any of the meds I am taking and with combining too many at one time.

Thank you for the response!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Honestly,
    I am glad your new DR is more responsible than the other one. Many years ago, my first PM DR never done it either and could RX them to you over the phone. This is why his nurses constantly complained about CP people who become addicts under his care. If DR would be more responsible and monitored them well, they could be in a better place now.

My resent PM is very responsible and I love this. He trusts his patients but tells you right the way: one time you betray his trust, he dismisses you as his patient. Hundreds of people trying to have him as their doctor, but he cant take new patients anymore. So he knows if one goes, he gets another patient same day, he doesn't need to deal with irresponsible people, right?

They check your urine and sometimes even blood to make sure about levels of opiates in your system. If it too low, it means one doesn't take them and not in pain he/she saying they are. It means they may get drugs for selling or someone else. Or if it too high - than the person over abuses them.
    I am not sure about your relationships with your PM, I hope he knows you by now and trusts you (so important), but he is human. If you never had previous problems with any other doctors (they check people on opiates through their medical/pharmaceutical special line), he may understand where you are coming from.
    But for the future, to avoid situation like this one, if you concern that some meds may interact with the other, call your Pharmacist or your Drs office. This way you have prove why you done it, your PM will appreciate the fact that you let him know why you stop it. Just think about, in his mind he may think if you can live without pain meds for some period of time, it means you may not be as bad as you say... I am sorry for saying this, this may not be the fact, but being so long under PM care, you learn...

I am pretty sure you worry for nothing, but next time just protect yourself from worrying and do the right way.

Smile, you will be just fine!
    Moldova

The Following User Says Thank You to Moldova For This Useful Post:
    Kerrysqueaky (06-04-2012)
    Old 06-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
    Kerrysqueaky
    (female)

Kerrysqueaky HB User

I have read up on what some of the pain management Drs have been through and it just sounds horrible. I feel for both sides. I am sure I am worrying for nothing. I read up on their terms and it just says they test at first visit then randomnly. But even then I am very upfront about the fact that I am sober and very honest with my Drs. I wouldn't even take nyquil or use Listerine for my first six years of sobriety or even a sleep aid because I have to always make sure I am taking meds for the right reasons. As far as me needing around the clock pain meds, I unfortunately do especially if I don't want to lay down all day or be distracted by the neck pain and headaches all day. There is pain that constantly puts you on edge and then there is debilitating pain. I have the first one. So yeah I can go one day without medicine but it sucks and I am miserable. But I will do it if it makes me feel better about what I am doing. So until my issues get dealt with and I really need this Dr to help me, I will do whatever I need to in order to ensure I get the care I need while still protecting my sobriety. Leaving a message anyways is a great idea so then it's at least recorded. I will speak with him tomorrow about what to do in this situation again and about my messages that were not responded to. I honestly dont mind the tests, I just got all super paranoid after reading some of the stories on here and I didn't want to jeopardize my care by either having Nyquil show up as something I am not supposed to be taking or having my opiates be too low, although it says the test for it just being in your system. I am just new to this way of doing things and thought this was a safe place to ask my questions with people that may have been in a similar situation. And I asked about something for breakthrough pain on the really bad days because I would assume they would rather give you less than raise your dosage all together. And I dont need to raise it all together, there are just some days where my meds havent helped with the pain by evening time and I am miserable. But I will bring all of this up to him tomorrow and again I appreciate the responses.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
    Kerrysqueaky
    (female)

Kerrysqueaky HB User

So I wanted to update and of course I have another question. And y'all were right I was being dumb. He said the cold medicine is fine and they only test every three months. BUT I am still very relieved that I know what to expect now and that I took care in my medications. Ok so here's the thing, my head "bursts" as I call them are from the rfa. I guess he hit some nerves that go into your head. The new Dr said it SHOULD eventually go away but until then gave me Gabapentin. I didn't think to ask about the side effects but upon reading up this med it concerns me. I am very sensitive to anything that might effect my mood. I chose to get fixed solely so I wouldn't have to be on birth control or anything hormonal. I know I should just call him and get reassured but I really just don't want to risk it. has anyone taken this and did it effect you in any negative ways? These head tinges are getting worse (which I hope means my nerves are healing) so I do need to take something for the bad days but do I need to take it every day for it to work or is it something I can only take when I am having a really bad head day?

Thanks again to everyone for all your help

Old 06-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
    Daffydolphin
    (male)

Daffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB User
    Rx'd Gabapenten for Shingles...

...two years ago. I spent two very sick weeks working up to target dose. Then 4 weeks trying to adjust to it before being tapered off it over another two weeks. Almost constant nausea, dizziness, hard time speaking clearly, very drugged feeling, wildly fluctuating BP and pulse rate. Three weeks later I ended up in the hospital for the cardiac issues including irregular EKG. After full cardiac testing showed no heart based problem I was discharged and referred to a Neurologist and more inconclusive testing. About 10 weeks after stopping Gabapenten all cardiac issues and side effects had cleared up. Cardiologist and Neurologist both concluded the problems were caused by the Gabapenten and told me never to take it again. I won't. I'm 64. My research revealed that those 55+ have a much higher rate of problems with Gabapentin than the general population.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
    Kerrysqueaky
    (female)

Kerrysqueaky HB User

I got high blood pressure form Naproxen and heart palpitations from tramadol or who knows maybe it was from the Naproxen since I realized that was the problem a few months later. Yea. I'm not sure I will start taking this one but I will put a call into my Dr tomorrow just to be sure he understands my concerns and why I am hesitant. Thank you for sharing your experience with it and how scary and awful!

Old 06-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
    Jackson56
    (female)

Jackson56 HB User

I got a u.a the other day and the Dr. wouldn't let me see the results. He then asked me if I was selling them. I am NOT. We have never had a good Dr. patient relationship. I thought they had to show it to you. He then Handed me a paper and sign it took it back before I could read it. He never gives out two scripts at once, makes you come back every month for them. This time he gave me two of them and sent me on my way. I think I will be getting a letter stating I am dismissed and will no longer be seen there. So now I'm feeling scared and wondering if I should start looking for another DR. now instead of waiting. He didn't even ask me when I took my last pain pill. If your body eats them up quicker then the test doesn't show the correct amount. Depending on time taken also makes a difference. I have kissed his *** for six years, would like to find a different DR. I know it's not going to be easy. They don't need a reason, they can let you go at any time they feel like it. Give you a months worth and send you on your way to hell.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
    Daffydolphin
    (male)

Daffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB User
    NSAIDS and High Blood Pressure

For A couple years I used 3-4 OTC Naproxens a day for my base pain level and hyrocodone several pills a week only for breakthrough pain. I've taken meds for BP for decades. As regular high NSAID use developed I was having to take higher and higher levels of BP meds. Cardiologist and PCP doc said that NSAIDs can significantly impair the effectiveness of a lot of BP meds. Both wanted me to stop all NSAID use. So now have have to use hyrocodone daily for pain control plus breaththrough. But my BP is at a very good level again on 75% less BP meds. I was having palpitations and irregular heart beat while taking multiple Naproxens every day. Tried tramadol for 6 months for base pain, found it less effective than Naproxen and I had extreme dry mouth, throat, and dry eye.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Gabapentin of course is an anti-seizure med...they can have a host of side-effects, this doesn't mean you'll have them, you just have to be aware and watch out for them. Majority of folks do fine on anti-seizure meds and generally have only the "sleepy" side effect.

Anti-seizure meds are not PRN medications, you have to take them as prescribed by your Dr. each day. They work on certain chemicals and firing points in the brain and need to have a steady presence in your system.

When you say "head bursts" are you talking about "brain zaps"? Does it feel like you get an electric charge to your brain for a few seconds and then it stops?

Anti-seizure meds can effect your mood, they are frequently used to treat mood disorders....although Gabapentin is not one that is normally used for such.

Generally if your Dr. thinks this med will help your pain, it's best to try it and see, rather than refuse it based on what you've read or what other people say. Everyone reacts to theses meds differently, you can't really go on how other people react to a med.

Oh yeah, and I don't think anyone really thought you were dumb, misinformed perhaps, but not dumb. Pain Management is an ever changing journey, the more you learn about your journey and the more research you do, the better equipped you are to handle it.

Take care,

Kat

Old 06-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
    Kerrysqueaky
    (female)

Kerrysqueaky HB User

Yes he said it was for the nerve damage that is going to my head. Thanks again for the info. I am just so wary of new drugs in general. It's not just what I read but also the pharmacist conversation I had. But I still will call him about if I need to take it every night as directed for it to be effective or if I can only take it when in really bad pain.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #14
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

There've been several folks through this board that have used Gabapentin for nerve pain and they've done pretty well with it. It's not a high side effect med.

If he tells you that you can use it "as needed", that's his perogative of course.....but having been a "Seizure Disorder" patient for the last 12 years and taking various different Seizure meds throughout that time, I can assure you, Anti-Seizure meds are not designed to work as a PRN medication.

So, if you try it on an "as needed" basis and you don't get relief from it, you might want to change to daily use and see how that does before you give up on it.

Take care,

Kat

Old 06-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
    Kerrysqueaky
    (female)

Kerrysqueaky HB User

Thanks Kat! And the head stuff is not in my head as much as on the skin. It's always tender like I can't brush that side of my hair or lay on it but the bad days it feels like someone stuck a bunch on pins in my head in one spot and it radiates. It's definitely nerve damage vs a seizure or inside thing. It's mostly manageable with the norco though. Thanks for the reassurance on the new medicine

Closed Thread