It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Urgent: need advice regarding stopping Opana ER

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
PainInOK
(male)

PainInOK HB User
Urgent: need advice regarding stopping Opana ER

Hello,

I've been on Opana ER 10mg for two weeks now. I'm having some horrible side affects to this med, typical of what others have already mentioned. I called my PM doc today and their office said stop immediately. I also take 10/325 hydrocodone for breakthrough.

I told the nurse that it's too dangerous to stop immediately especially since I cannot exceed 4 hydro's a day. She said that there was nothing they could do due to the laws here in FL (we moved here recently) and I would have to wait to get adjustments made. I'm scared to stop abruptly as I believe this could be dangerous, could it not? My appointment is in 8 days, but if I try to compensate with the hydro's I'll be out before I'm supposed to be.
What should I do? I'm already feeling the affects of stopping the first Opana today and feeling sick from it. Please advise me.

I also am on 0.5 Xanax (4-5 daily) and 0.5 Clonazepam (2 daily). I ran out of Clonazepam a few days ago but I thought if I took a couple more Xanax that should take care of it. I wonder if the reason I'm feeling so bad is due to abruptly stopping Clonazepam? I take about 6 Xanax throughout the day but they aren't doing much for me. Could this be what's causing my problems? Seems as long as I add a couple more Xanax a day it would make up, or compensate, for the two Clonazepam's I was taking, no? In FL you have to get these two drugs from a psychiatrist. In OK I could get them from my GP. I have an appointment in about 12 days with a psychiatrist.

Anyway, I'm a real mess right now and am worried about how my body is going to respond to abruptly stopping 10mg of Opana ER that I've been on for two weeks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what would be a good pain med to discuss with the doctor about getting? I already get hydro 10/325 for breakthrough pain. I really don't want another drug that similar to Opana ER at all. It's horrible stuff and really messed up my stomach and head big time.

Thanks ahead for any advice you can offer me.

PainInOK (now in FL)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
katlin09
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Urgent: need advice regarding stopping Opana ER

Wow! Umm..okay, first off stopping that dose of Opana, isn't dangerous. You have hydro in your system all day, your body won't go in to shock from lack of narcotic. It'll be uncomfortable because of the drop in amount of Narcotic, but not dangerous.

Klonopin and Xanax huh? Your being double dosed on Benzo's and at a pretty high dose at that.... You definitely shouldn't take any more Xanax to make up for the missing Klonopin, there the same drug....your body won't miss or wd from the Klonopin because it still has the Xanax....Xanax is just a stronger version of benzo than Klonopin is. Don't be shocked if the Psychiatrist you see doesn't continue prescribing both of those drugs in the amount your family Dr. back in OK was giving you. There's a reason some states require a Pdoc (psychiatrist) to RX psych meds, because M.D.'s and PCP's don't specialize in those kinds of meds and they end up doing dangerous things like double dosing patients.

For the next 8 days you'll probably have some withdrawal symptoms from the lack of Opana that can include: stomach upset/diarrhea, sweats/chills, trouble sleeping, irritability, lack of energy, increased body aches and pains, RLS, brain zaps, etc. It will be uncomfortable but it won't kill you.

The amount of Xanax your on will cover some of that and the Hydro will keep the wd symptoms down quite a bit.

As for a new LA med, you didn't say if you'd tried any others, but there's Morphine, Oxycontin, Hydromorphone, Fentanyl patches....those are your main choices....Morphine (MS Contin) or Oxycontin would be the 2 obvious choices.

Take care,

Kat

Last edited by katlin09; 06-05-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: forgot something

Old 06-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
Isotope
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

I would agree with Kat. Zanax AND Klonopin? Hmmm?

You should have no problem stopping your 10mg of Opana. I stopped cold turkey taking the equivalent of 20-25mg of Opana a day and had an okay time of it for a few days, not great -but not even close to some of the horror stories. Sorry you had problems with it. For me - Oxymorphone/Opana are the most most benign and easiest to tolerate of the available pain meds out there.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:43 AM   #4
PainInOK
(male)

PainInOK HB User

Kat, thanks for your input. I appreciate it as it gives me some peace knowing that I should be OK stopping this so abruptly. I had a horrible night last night but made it thorough. So very nauseated and shaky right now. Seeing the PM doctor this morning. Do you have any suggestions as to what I might take to replace the Opana?

PIOK

Last edited by PainInOK; 06-05-2012 at 03:52 AM.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
PainInOK
(male)

PainInOK HB User

Isotope,

Thanks for your reply. It definitely helps me knowing that someone else was able to stop cold turkey and not have too bad of a time with it. This stuff tastes so horrible in my mouth and the stench of it just makes me sick to my stomach. Since I've been taking it my appetite has disappeared and since stopping it I haven't been able to eat. This medicine did help with the pain, but not for the full 12 hours it's supposed to last. More like 6 hours for me. I don't do well with morphine. Anyway, I see the PM doctor today. Any suggestions as to what I might ask her about to replace Opana?

Thanks again for replying. It really helped put my mind at ease knowing someone else did get off of it without too much difficulty. I survived last night but still nauseated and shaking this morning.

Thanks!

PIOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope View Post
I would agree with Kat. Zanax AND Klonopin? Hmmm?

You should have no problem stopping your 10mg of Opana. I stopped cold turkey taking the equivalent of 20-25mg of Opana a day and had an okay time of it for a few days, not great -but not even close to some of the horror stories. Sorry you had problems with it. For me - Oxymorphone/Opana are the most most benign and easiest to tolerate of the available pain meds out there.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
PainInOK
(male)

PainInOK HB User

Kat,

Sorry, didn't see your suggestions when I first read your post. I can't do morphine, I told the doctor that in her office but she said lets try this. It worked OK at first then it started making me very sick. Patches didn't work for me either, too inconsistent and the heat messed with them. I'll check out the other ones you mentioned. Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated!

PIOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
Wow! Umm..okay, first off stopping that dose of Opana, isn't dangerous. You have hydro in your system all day, your body won't go in to shock from lack of narcotic. It'll be uncomfortable because of the drop in amount of Narcotic, but not dangerous.

Klonopin and Xanax huh? Your being double dosed on Benzo's and at a pretty high dose at that.... You definitely shouldn't take any more Xanax to make up for the missing Klonopin, there the same drug....your body won't miss or wd from the Klonopin because it still has the Xanax....Xanax is just a stronger version of benzo than Klonopin is. Don't be shocked if the Psychiatrist you see doesn't continue prescribing both of those drugs in the amount your family Dr. back in OK was giving you. There's a reason some states require a Pdoc (psychiatrist) to RX psych meds, because M.D.'s and PCP's don't specialize in those kinds of meds and they end up doing dangerous things like double dosing patients.

For the next 8 days you'll probably have some withdrawal symptoms from the lack of Opana that can include: stomach upset/diarrhea, sweats/chills, trouble sleeping, irritability, lack of energy, increased body aches and pains, RLS, brain zaps, etc. It will be uncomfortable but it won't kill you.

The amount of Xanax your on will cover some of that and the Hydro will keep the wd symptoms down quite a bit.

As for a new LA med, you didn't say if you'd tried any others, but there's Morphine, Oxycontin, Hydromorphone, Fentanyl patches....those are your main choices....Morphine (MS Contin) or Oxycontin would be the 2 obvious choices.

Take care,

Kat

Old 06-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
Whoopee
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

Much of your trouble with the Opana ER is the new formulation (I'm assuming that's what you're taking since the old ones are almost impossible to fine). I too have had trouble with my stomach for almost an hour or so after taking it. Personally, I think it's my body trying to disgest plastic!

These drug companies are doing us CP'ers no favors with their reformulations. I had an equally tough time when they did the same to Oxycontin. Doesn't the DEA realize that addicts will "always" find a way to abuse whatever is out there and if it's not Oxt or Opana, it'll be something else. You just can't make the legit patients suffer for the sake of trying to beat the abusers. You can't beat them! Oh well, that's our system isn't it, make the 99% suffer for the 1% bad. OK, I'm done ranting. Good Luck with things in the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to Whoopee For This Useful Post:
PainInOK (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
PainInOK
(male)

PainInOK HB User

Whoopee, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Terrible stuff! Any suggestions as to what I might ask the PM doctor to consider giving me?

PIOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
Much of your trouble with the Opana ER is the new formulation (I'm assuming that's what you're taking since the old ones are almost impossible to fine). I too have had trouble with my stomach for almost an hour or so after taking it. Personally, I think it's my body trying to disgest plastic!

These drug companies are doing us CP'ers no favors with their reformulations. I had an equally tough time when they did the same to Oxycontin. Doesn't the DEA realize that addicts will "always" find a way to abuse whatever is out there and if it's not Oxt or Opana, it'll be something else. You just can't make the legit patients suffer for the sake of trying to beat the abusers. You can't beat them! Oh well, that's our system isn't it, make the 99% suffer for the 1% bad. OK, I'm done ranting. Good Luck with things in the future.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
katlin09
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I was wondering how your Dr. appointment went?

Kat

Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
PainInOK
(male)

PainInOK HB User

Kat,

The doctor switched me to Oxytocin. I read the new formula ingredients in it and I know it will not work for me. I'm too sensitive to the toxins that they put into the new formula extended release drugs, resin being among them. She was able to give me an Rx for it even though I still had two weeks of Opana ER left. She flushed them down the toilet while forcing me to watch her so that I could witness this in the event that she's ever questioned about it. I'm curious if the Pharmacist it really going to fill this.

She gave me an Rx more of the hydrocodone and was able to make it "part 2" of the first prescription she gave me two weeks ago. I asked if this was going to be a problem since FL is really strict about refilling before 28 days. She said not the way she wrote the Rx. So, we'll find out today if it's going to work or not. She said it will work and if the Pharmacist has any questions he/she call her. Sure hope she's right about this.

So, that's the latest with me. I'm going to get off these things as I've been on them too many years and the benefits are not as effective as they used to be. I will just have to figure out a way to use more natural products to help me endure the pain I have with Lyme Disease. God willing, I will be off these soon and hoping to be able to manage the pain without them.

I'm still a bit shaky from being off them but it's probably from being off the other stuff too. My stomach is better but if I eat it becomes a bit queasy, but it's improving. I'm not planning to get any more of the Clonazepam, just gonna keep Xanax for awhile and see if I can find something natural to replace that too.

Thanks for your help and checking up on me.

Have a great day.

PIOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
I was wondering how your Dr. appointment went?

Kat

Old 06-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
katlin09
Inactive
(female)

I'm sorry, I had to giggle...umm..Oxytocin, is used to induce Labor in pregnant women...she gave you Oxycontin.

Yes with the new formulation they have pretty much the same "plastic" type coating as the Opana does now....and they don't last nearly as long as they used to. I quit using Oxycontin because of the new formulation a few years ago.

If you're serious about getting off of the meds, I wouldn't even start the Oxy...you're already into the withdrawal phase from the Opana....I'd make do with the Hydro, let the LA med clear your system and then in a couple of weeks taper off the Hydro...but that's just my opinion.

If you do decide to get off the pain meds, the Xanax will help with some of the WD symptoms. One thing you should know, Xanax itself is a pretty hardcore "monster". If you ever decide to drop it, don't do it cold turkey, it will be worse than the narcotics with the amount you've been taking. You'll have to do that with a very slow taper or the psychological wd factor will wipe you out.

Sorry the Dr. wasn't able to be of more help to you. Hopefully the pharmacist is able to fill your Hydro script without any difficulties.

Hang in there, we're always around if you need to vent!

Kat

Old 06-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #12
Boxerluver
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Don't mean to giggle as well but I picked up on the samething. I'm sorry you are having trouble with the new formularies, but you are not alone. Most are not finding the same kind of pain relief. I am lucky in that I have been on the patch forever and from day 1 have had immediate relief.

I wish you well in finding a different route. These meds are great when they work and everything is OK, but with the new laws and issues, they can be a real problem. Hope you got everything filled OK.

Closed Thread