It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Fentanyl Patch Questions, Doubts and Observations

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #61
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
    Re: Fentanyl Patch Questions, Doubts and Observations

Sorry you had to deal with that. Some folks have more of the med in their system after removing the patch than others. Another good way to look at it is that you didn't OD from adding the Opana to the fentanyl. I hope the Opana starts to help you more. Its great you can see your doctor again this week, as its normal to need dose adjustments for a new med. I once looked at a rating scale for how bad a patient's opiate withdrawal was, and it gets pretty scary. What I've had by accident made me feel miserable, and it was still only considered mild. Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #62
    ttomtom
    (female)

ttomtom HB User

Thanks! I'm headed to his office tomorrow. The wd symptoms are subsiding more and more each day, but my pain is getting worse, and I had a pain attack an hour ago that almost dropped me to the floor. The EMG we did Tuesday also showed that I have more nerve damage in my c8-T1 (which is most likely c6/7) within the last 6 weeks. And it is effecting my right thumb, which makes so much sense, because I have been mistyping when I have been texting lately, and couldn't figure it out for the life of me...and my handwriting has been getting messy. Lame. Anyways, I ended up taking a second Opana tonight, and it fixed the pain, even though it did make me a tad groggy the first 30 min or so, but it was that or the ER. I'd rather not do the ER, since he will most likely up my dose tomorrow anyways.

Fentynal so far has been the nastiest medicine to come off of for me. But then again, I haven't stopped oxycodone for two years. I have a sinking feeling that one is going to be difficult along with the Opana. :/

Old 08-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #63
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Yes there is probably quite a bit of room for dose increase on the opana, especially considering you need to replace some oxycodone too, but better safe then dead. At least the wd is subsiding. For some reason when I was trying the fentanyl I couldn't kick the withdrawal from my previous meds even though I was supposedly on much more than equivalent...I'm used to dealing with the pain though. I'm doing much better back on the methadone (almost double what I was on before seeing this new doctor).

Hope you can get to a good place soon too. So the Opana is tolerable so far (besides some grogginess with the higher dose)? For some reason that med just didn't do much for me. I had my primary doctor prescribing it awhile back and I now know that he as clueless on doses...he was letting me take 60mg (6 of the 10mg pills as that was the highest IR dose) at one time, because that is what it took to do anything for my breakthrough pain. Best wishes.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #64
    ttomtom
    (female)

ttomtom HB User

It seems to be working OK. Not as well as the fentynal did for the pain though. I saw my doc today and he bumped me up to 30mg Opana ER, 2x day and Oxycodone 15mg 3x day as needed for BT, even though I wasn't feeling the grogginess anymore on 40mg. I think he just didn't want me on so much so soon, and also I could have residual pain since I had a pain/spasm attack last night. So he gave me flexiril to take if needed for that. I'm also going to be having surgery scheduled soon, so less is better, cause I'm just going to have to come off this anyways, and my regimen will change after that if we do decide to fuse three discs. Bleh.

I've heard that the new formulation to keep the Opana abuse/crush-proof keeps it from getting completely absorbed in your body, as the plastic-like coating is hard to digest in some patients' systems, so that could be why it didn't work as well. I have noticed definite digestive problems, but that could still be withdrawal related. Luckily, that is getting better each day. I actually have a date tomorrow, so I'm hoping I will feel up to it.

All this and single too! Lol. I find the worse I feel, the more I dress up when I venture out, the compliments make you feel better. Now if I could just wear my heels, cause this guy is 6'5". Have a good night!

Closed Thread