It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Rib and chest pain

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
sandiemas
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User
Rib and chest pain

Has anyone had severe pain in ribcage on leftside to mid chest/mid back, between shoulder blades. It is a 8 on the 1-10 scale with my pain medication. I have several ddd issues through spine. Amongst other things, but the chest pain is severe and I am just trying to compare notes on expeiences and pain, symptoms. My words are confused, speech slurred, hands and feet tingly but mid back, ribs, and chest pain is the worse. I know noone can give medical advise but if someone out there has similar issues I would love to hear about them. Sorry if this is rambled but my thoughts aren't coming out clear it is like I have severe brain fog. Thanks for reading.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
marbelmo
(male)

marbelmo HB User
Re: Rib and chest pain

I can relate.
Have you had any cervical / thorasic imaging done?
That's a good place to start.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
sandiemas
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbelmo View Post
I can relate.
Have you had any cervical / thorasic imaging done?
That's a good place to start.
yes I have a cervical mri that showed some arthritis and other things and some lesions on my t2 and t5 but I don't know that lesions cause any pain I think they're just like bruises. no herniated disc in the area.

I had a fusion on my c 6 c 7and have never been the same. No new herniations but some cord flattening and bone spurs. Not sure if that would cause this type of thing or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Old 07-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
marbelmo
(male)

marbelmo HB User

Well, C6-7 (where I also have issues but no fusion yet), is a prime spot for referred intrascapular pain.
Theoretically, if you're fused, there should no longer be any nerve impingement there.
It's really hard tosay about the lesions.
I guess all I can offer is my sympathy and support.
I know the pain you speak of all too well.

The Following User Says Thank You to marbelmo For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
RPM12
(female)

RPM12 HB UserRPM12 HB UserRPM12 HB User

Hi Sandy,

I don't know if this is anything like what you are having or not. I had severe, severe pain in my back between my shoulder blades. I couldn't lie down, or sit back in a chair. I kept almost passing out from the pain.

My family Doctor said it was tendonitis. Pain pills didn't help.

I finally went to a chiro. Now, I'm not necessarily an advocate of chiros, but he knew right away it was an inflamed muscle pushing on a nerve. The nerve was in the chest area, and I felt like I was having a heart attack. He gave me some stretching exercises and it soon went away. One of the exercises I know helped was to roll my head towards my chest, and then roll my shoulders down. Every time I feel it tighten up I do the exercises. Thank heavens they work, as I could never have tolerated that pain long term.

I know there's a name for this condition, and I can't think of it, but maybe run this by your Doctor?

The Following User Says Thank You to RPM12 For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (07-13-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
sandiemas
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM12 View Post
Hi Sandy,

I don't know if this is anything like what you are having or not. I had severe, severe pain in my back between my shoulder blades. I couldn't lie down, or sit back in a chair. I kept almost passing out from the pain.

My family Doctor said it was tendonitis. Pain pills didn't help.

I finally went to a chiro. Now, I'm not necessarily an advocate of chiros, but he knew right away it was an inflamed muscle pushing on a nerve. The nerve was in the chest area, and I felt like I was having a heart attack. He gave me some stretching exercises and it soon went away. One of the exercises I know helped was to roll my head towards my chest, and then roll my shoulders down. Every time I feel it tighten up I do the exercises. Thank heavens they work, as I could never have tolerated that pain long term.

I know there's a name for this condition, and I can't think of it, but maybe run this by your Doctor?
Thanks for the info, I will try those stretches tonight. the pain is bad and it cant hurt anything. The meds definatly aren't touching it. Even muscle relaxers just make me loopy.lol

If you can think of any other ones keep me posted... Thanks

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Old 07-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
RPM12
(female)

Hopefully the exercises won't hurt.

The regimen of exercises starts with stretches side to side.

Then the chest roll as I described.

Then roll your shoulders forward in small increasing circles, and then backwards the same. Think dime, nickle, quarter when you're going sizes.

Then head turning left to right and vice verse with your head straight up, and then the same with head bent down.

Then down on hands and knees and do the cat/ camel stretch.

But I know the one that helped me the most was the chest roll.

Please let us know how you're progressing. Assuming your pain is anything like mine was, I feel very badly for you.

sandiemas (07-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
tiggertoo2174
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

I'd suggest getting in to see your primary care Dr. who will likely want to rule out any possibility of cardiac issues. I've got similar problems on the right side have had every imaging test possible in the area, and all they have come up with is a little arthritis at T5. I'd try ice, heat, and alternating ice and heat. Stretching is good too but if something causes more pain stop. Some PT might be worthwhile if you can manage it. Good luck.

Tigg.

The following user gives a hug of support to tiggertoo2174:
sandiemas (07-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
sandiemas
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo2174 View Post
I'd suggest getting in to see your primary care Dr. who will likely want to rule out any possibility of cardiac issues. I've got similar problems on the right side have had every imaging test possible in the area, and all they have come up with is a little arthritis at T5. I'd try ice, heat, and alternating ice and heat. Stretching is good too but if something causes more pain stop. Some PT might be worthwhile if you can manage it. Good luck.

Tigg.
I have had an mri and it shows arthritis at each level on the tspine and lesions on t2 and t5. But it feels different like the sharp stabbing, burning pain in mid back but the squeese around to mid chest has me worried feels as if someone has taken a belt and wrapped it around my chest, with electrical spikes down left arm that keeps tightening it. I cant seem to shake it, it is constant and annoying. I am trying the stretches and have an appointment on the 20th hopefully it is just my anxiety issues and no big deal. Thanks for the help. Having thoracic issues do they cause chest pains as if you are having a heart attack?

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Last edited by sandiemas; 07-14-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
RPM12
(female)

Sandy, I am sorry, I assumed you had gone to a Doctor to rule out heart problems. Please do. This might warrant an ER visit.

But, yes, I thought I was having a heart attack, and of course the pain was so bad my blood pressure was up.

But, it was not a heart problem, it was a muscle problem, and yes, I thought I was having a heart attack, the pain was so bad.

After you rule out heart problems, consider a chiro.

sandiemas (07-15-2012)
Closed Thread