It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Reaction to trigger point injections

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
    Prettyinpink81
    (female)

Prettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB User
    Reaction to trigger point injections

I am at the point where I am ready to cry. I had trigger point injections done in my neck and shoulder yesterday. I've been getting them done for over a year and I have always gotten a little sore at the injection site but this is excruciating. The ride side of my neck is extremely swollen which is causing mirgraines and its extremely painful to move both my neck and shoulder. I have taken my painkillers (as well as advil for the anti inflammatory property) and I am using ice as long as I can stand it. I tried heat which made it worse and I am at my limit as to what I should do. I would prefer to skip the ER if at all possible but am open to any other suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
    Re: Reaction to trigger point injections

Sorry you are in so much pain. I'd call your doctor to see if they have someone on call who has any suggestions. I believe this should be quite temporary and steadily improve. I've had bad reactions to injections before...one time I got Botox in my shoulders in addition to my neck to try for my headache. My shoulders hurt to move for a couple weeks, but it did continue to get better over that time. I think the pain med plus NSAID and ice route is a good idea until you can get medical attention (if needed). Not sure what else they could do for you unless a dose increase was warranted in the short term. Best wishes.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
    Ilovemycutedog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Do you have a fever? This would be the only reason, personally, that I would end up in the ER is if you have a fairly high fever which would mean an actual infection.

Obviously none of us are medical professionals....So, it may be good as suggested to just contact the on call Dr. for your PM (or whoever treats your pain) and let them know your symptoms and ask what, if anything, you should do. At least they can give you the list of things to really watch out for to go the ER if needed.

That's where I always like to stand with anything...whether it's emergent or not....then when I know it isn't...then I just wait on through the pain/discomfort and know it will pass.

You are definitely smart to not use any heat as this will cause even more inflammation. Ice (package of corn is great) is for this...But make sure you put something inbetween the cold and your skin like a wash cloth/small towel. And then for only 15-30 minutes at a time...then at least 45 minutes to an hour off. Then on again.....

Unfortunately even though trigger points can be great in the long run...if we get them done when we are having an already bad day with nerves over acting...then it will make it worse before it gets better. I've had so many of them done I've lost count...

Just trying to think of suggestions...I really think you will feel better if you call just to make sure you shouldn't worry or need to get immediate help..

Keep us posted..

Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

hi I've had bad tp injections too and don't get them anymore. I remember I couldn't turn my head to drive home that day and had my mother-in-law to take home and everything it was awful. I put a lidoderm patch on there w/ some ice and it took a couple of days to calm down. sorry. good luck cj

Old 07-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
    Prettyinpink81
    (female)

Prettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB User

Well I survived the night without going to the ER. A friend of mine brought over a lidoderm patch (I cannot wait until they go generic so I can afford them!), and it turns out my babysitter knows myofascial release so she was able to relieve some of the pain. Its still pretty bad today but much much better than last night so hopefully the worst is over. I will have to try frozen corn. I have a few icepacks but Im so bad at remembering to put them back in the freezer. One last question, I am taking generic advil as an anti inflammatory, and I also have aspirin laying around, would it help to alternate the two or not make much of a difference. Ill take a little stomach distress from the aspirin if it would work better for the inflammation.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
    Ilovemycutedog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Glad to hear things are at least a little bit better and your friend was able to help some.

I've never used aspirin for anything inflammatory so I can't say if it helps or not for that. It's definitely not in the same category as Advil as that is an NSAID.

When I use ice (corn..lol) for my pain...I put an alarm on my phone to go off at 30 minutes so that I know to remove it and put it back in the freezer. As mentioned...ice/cold can actually cause injury if left on for longer periods of time.

And especially do not apply it on top of the Lidoderm patch as that is numbing you up, you won't be able to feel if something is too cold. Ice can be resumed about 4-6 hours after the patch is removed. So it's all about rotation...

Obviously I'm not a DR...and just giving out information from what I have learned and do for my own pain. So you can contact your Dr. or Pharmacist if you have any questions...

Hopefully each day will get a bit better and that the TP injections will end up helping..

Closed Thread