It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

I'm going to run out and it's not my fault!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
roxy703
(female)

roxy703 HB User
I'm going to run out and it's not my fault!

I saw my PM dr today. I got a refill on my Percocet and it says "fill date 7/30". That is exactly 30 days after my last prescription. No problem right? Wrong.... I had injections in between the two appointments and I was in a lot of pain. So I called the PM dr and was told to increase percocet from 3x a day to 5x a day for a week (or until I felt better). Because of that increase, I will be about 10 pills short, which is approx 3 days supply.
My pharmacy doesn't fill until the written fill date, so that's not an option. Should I call the dr and ask for a small rx to hold me over? or should I suck it up and have no pain meds for three days? Again, it was with my PM dr's permission so I didn't do anything behind their backs...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Manatee31
(male)

Manatee31 HB User
Re: I'm going to run out and it's not my fault!

I would contact my pain management dr and advise them of the extra pills you needed for your intense pain for that week. The dr may have forgotten about it when the script was written. I would talk to the dr rather then go without your medication. I hope it all works out for you good luck

Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
nesara311
(male)

nesara311 HB User

Call your doctor.Your not a druggie,you are in pain and if left untreated could become permanant.You should be ok.try not to stress,that will just cause more pain

Old 07-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
tortoisegirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Yes it sounds like you need to remind them of this verbal one week increase. I personally would not have left the office without taking care of that as its more difficult over the phone...I'm bet if they do electronic they just re-printed your script from last month and didn't look at the chart note on that. If you were told it was ok, it should be written down and you should be covered. Best wishes.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Ilovemycutedog
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

The only downside is that you didn't speak with your PM about this face to face again at your appt. you just had yesterday...as it's obviously not something he remembered or he would have brought it up and given you extra.

I agree that your only chance now is to call them...but sometimes the message doesn't get all the way back to the PM....but you can try.

This is why I always document every single detail. Before you call...you need to look back and get the exact day/time that you called them....who you spoke with...and who told you that the PM authorized for you to take more.

I'm also wondering in whether they made any documentation in your chart...

The only shot you have is to call and see what they say.

How many more did you take per day? 1 or 2? If they don't authorize it...then instead of running out completely....just take 1 or 2 less per day and that way you are going down slowly instead of going through any withdrawal.

Good luck...and keep us posted..

Old 07-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
NeckIssueGuy
(male)

NeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyfinn View Post
I saw my PM dr today. I got a refill on my Percocet and it says "fill date 7/30". That is exactly 30 days after my last prescription. No problem right? Wrong.... I had injections in between the two appointments and I was in a lot of pain. So I called the PM dr and was told to increase percocet from 3x a day to 5x a day for a week (or until I felt better). Because of that increase, I will be about 10 pills short, which is approx 3 days supply.
My pharmacy doesn't fill until the written fill date, so that's not an option. Should I call the dr and ask for a small rx to hold me over? or should I suck it up and have no pain meds for three days? Again, it was with my PM dr's permission so I didn't do anything behind their backs...

That is terrible the anesthesiologist that does my injections WON'T give pain meds ever,is why he uses the needle to relieve pain ya right huh that's what I say tooo.
He says take it easy and ice it and you'll be fine in a few days and can go back to work tomorrow LOL. If he only knew how bad it can get sometimes jeeze I hate that.

Your Doc will probably do like mine and expect you to catch up with the good days, and balance it out for the month, as the reason for the injections, are to reduce pain and Narcotic consumption in the first place and sometimes it actually works my first series of injections got me off the walker and cane full time, so anything is possible, I hope you get some relief from the injections sometime soon, as it usually takes a week or two for stuff to really get in there and work good, Just be so glad that your meds weren't cut down, expecting less usage the Docs love to do that and make you suffer if not I suppose GOOD LUCK

Old 07-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
dave490
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

I agree with everyone advising you to call your doctor. I also agree that it's very important to keep a log of phone communication with the Dr's office. Get a name of the person advising an increase, so that when you go for an appointment, you have someone to reference the conversation to. I go one step further. I log my med intake. I'm on the fentanyl patch, with morphine for breakthrough. When I take a morphine, I log it with the time and date. That way, I can take the logs with me and show them to the Dr if needed. My prescribing physician and I have a great mutual trust, so there's never been a problem. But what happens if he should retire or worse - die? Keeping track of your meds can save you a lot of trouble.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
luvinmusiq
(female)

luvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB User

This happens a lot. The doctor authorize a change in meds and then forget that they did it by time you come in the office. I don't think it's on purpose but I just think they have so much going on. Not to mention I sometimes notice doctors don't listen. (or like to tune us out) lol. Yes I would called your pmp. He knows he gave you the authorization to take more. Now if you would of took more without his knowledge then you are non compliant. I think the doctor will take care of it. You just have to just call him. Good luck!
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010
Total Right Hip Replacement

Old 07-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
roxy703
(female)

roxy703 HB User

Thanks everyone, I will call today. My PM dr and I actually discussed the temporary increase at the appointment, so I know it was the Dr who authorized it directly. I didn't realize I'd be short when I was handed the prescription. I only thought of it when I was looking at the date later on. I was, at first, given a prescription for 5/325 and I said to the nurse who gave it to me that it was an error and I am taking 7.5 so she had it changed. The 5mg rx did not have any "fill date" on it. When I got the 7.5 one, it was hand written on there. So I'm sure the computer alerted her of the date.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
luvinmusiq
(female)

luvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy703 View Post
Thanks everyone, I will call today. My PM dr and I actually discussed the temporary increase at the appointment, so I know it was the Dr who authorized it directly. I didn't realize I'd be short when I was handed the prescription. I only thought of it when I was looking at the date later on. I was, at first, given a prescription for 5/325 and I said to the nurse who gave it to me that it was an error and I am taking 7.5 so she had it changed. The 5mg rx did not have any "fill date" on it. When I got the 7.5 one, it was hand written on there. So I'm sure the computer alerted her of the date.
Yes, I believe that it was just a simple mistake that the "nurse" wasn't aware of. Like you said she was just going off of the date of your last script. Don't see why they would not fix it. The only thing is you having to go pick up the new script, depending on how far the office is. Sometimes it can be a headache when you just went to your appointment a day or so ago. But that is just another rule you'll learn going into the pain management world...Check your scripts and make sure they are accurate before leaving the office. I know you said you didn't think about it until you left the office but now you see why we all say that is a important thing to do. Only reason we say this is because things can get messy when you have to call the doctor. Sometimes nurses don't give the messages to the doctor. Sometimes the doctor gets so busy that they put the people who call in messages on the back burner. Also I have found that it is sometimes difficult to explain certain things over the phone rather in person. But regardless, It sounds like a honest mistake on the nurse and a easy fix for the doctor. Good luck with everything and I hope you start feeling better soon. Muah!
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010

The Following User Says Thank You to luvinmusiq For This Useful Post:
roxy703 (07-19-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
roxy703
(female)

roxy703 HB User

I called yesterday and spoke with a secretary. She left a message and the Dr's assistant called me back. I explained to her the situation and she said that she did see in the notes that I had permission with the temporary increase. She said she'd speak with the Dr and call me back by end of day yesterday. No call back. So I just called again and left a message. I don't know if you remember a few weeks ago I was having trouble with poor communication in this office. I am glad that I am taking care of it now instead of next week when I am completely out of meds. I hope they call me back today...

Old 07-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #12
nesara311
(male)

nesara311 HB User

Good luck and keep us updated.pain really is not pleasant

Old 07-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
Ilovemycutedog
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Well the good news is that the nurse is verifying the increase he authorized in your chart. That was the biggest hurdle...

So hopefully the Dr. will see this and have no issue giving you enough to hold you over...

Dorky me...I've been posting too much and handling so many other things on my to do list this week that I completely forgot to call my Dr. to pick up my prescriptions for this weekend!!!

So, thankfully I have enough until Monday and just called to ask them to write them for then. Usually I call a few days in advance and for some reason forgot to put the alarm reminder on my phone!!!

Dooohhh...!

I hope everything works out for you...let us know..

Old 07-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #14
luvinmusiq
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycutedog View Post
Well the good news is that the nurse is verifying the increase he authorized in your chart. That was the biggest hurdle...

So hopefully the Dr. will see this and have no issue giving you enough to hold you over...

Dorky me...I've been posting too much and handling so many other things on my to do list this week that I completely forgot to call my Dr. to pick up my prescriptions for this weekend!!!

So, thankfully I have enough until Monday and just called to ask them to write them for then. Usually I call a few days in advance and for some reason forgot to put the alarm reminder on my phone!!!

Dooohhh...!

I hope everything works out for you...let us know..
That is what I love about you guys!!! Everybody is looking out for each other that we are forgetting things we have to do for ourself. lol I did the same thing last week. But we don't want you suffering too. So make sure you put your reminder on your phone. Stay Well Muah!
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010

Old 07-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
Ilovemycutedog
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hugs to you Luvinmusiq (( ))

Hope we hear good news when you check back in Roxy!

Closed Thread