It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

fentanyl patch drive anyone else nuts?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
tortoisegirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
fentanyl patch drive anyone else nuts?

So I've been on the fentanyl patch before but it was only a 25 mcg/hr on top of my other meds for a couple weeks. This time they started me on 100 mcg/hr to replace MSC, and a week later added another 50 mcg/hr, plus gave me enough to add another 50 mcg/hr if I need to, after calling. Haven't been having much pain relief (even withdrawal), but I'm hopeful we can get there. However, these patches have been driving me nuts. Everywhere I try to put them I can feel them every time I move. Plus, the Watson ones I got make a crinkle noise. I also have skin irritation and itching with them. Even some hot flashes--different than the skin flushing and sweating I'm used to.

Anyone have any suggestions of where to put them or what to do so the feeling of the patches on my skin doesn't drive me nuts? So far the best seems to be my lower abdomen, hip, or upper leg. I haven't got used to them yet. My doctor has approved these locations even though they aren't listed in the info. She said the chest can be slightly better for absorption (anyone know why?), but a lot of people have to put it other places. Annoying that I'll have to be wearing more than one, but oh well if it helps.

Definitely can't stand them on my chest or back, and arms aren't a good option in summer. I had a couple patches that I later realized I missed a corner on the covers (a 100 on your back will do that) and they got waterlogged, which I assume makes a big difference. Eventually it would be nice to deal with the skin issue, but that isn't a huge priority yet until I know I can stay on them. I can say I won't be getting the Watson brand again if I have a choice in it. Thanks! Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
lake county
Inactive
(male)

lake county HB Userlake county HB Userlake county HB User
Re: fentanyl patch drive anyone else nuts?

Hey, my uncle has had these for 10 yrs and he says the beat spots are where the most veins are. Inside of thighs and arms. Chest a few inches above nipples. Neck, that may be uncomfortable for some. Ect.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
matonagi
(female)

matonagi HB User
Smile Re: fentanyl patch drive anyone else nuts?

I gave my fentanyl patches back to my Dr......hate them!!!! Besides having a problem sticking, they loosen and fall off...and have tried many kinds of them, when the weather is hot, my skin absorbs too much of the fentanyl and I get sick....right now I am on Oxycontin and Oxycodone, much better for me, anyway...

Old 07-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
tortoisegirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

I hadn't heard it was absorbed through veins...I was under the impression it was stored in the fat. Also, inside the thighs or under the arms definitely wouldn't work as that would have a lot of rubbing...I'm having enough of an issue with it being on the outside of my leg or hip and having my jeans rub on it (I actually have blistering around the covers on this set of patches).

Chest doesn't work so well for me being a woman wearing summer tops (plus that spot drove me the most nuts...even worse than the back). We don't get too much heat here so I'm hopeful that isn't going to be a problem. I'll be a happy camper if I get used to wearing these, can settle down the skin irritation, and can find a helpful dose. Had a better day today with the dose increase-yay. Thanks for the responses! Best wishes.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Boxerluver
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Kate, I've been on the patch for years and I wear mine on my lower abdomin, right above my panty line. That way no clothes rub against it. But any of the locations you mentioned would be OK. For the skin irritation and itching, get your doc to prescribe an allergy spray like flonase. Spray it on your skin where you are going to put the patch, let it dry and then put the patch on, no more skin irritation. As far as the crinkle noise, yeah but you will get used to it. I'm sure you've heard about all the covers like Tegaderm or Bioclusive, with the new matrix of the medicine being in the patch glue instead of a resivoir, I have no problems with them sticking.

Hope that helps, oh and if you have any issue with the patch glue sticking to your skin all grey and icky, you can use an oil base make-up remover or I actually use Goobegone, takes it right off without rubbing the heck out of my skin! Make-up remover does the same but more expensive!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
dango
(female)

dango HB User

Hmmm... I've worn the 100 mcg patch for 3 years now. I have Ulcerative Colitis and was trying to get off as many ORAL meds as possible!

The Patch provides a much steadier dose of medication-- no ups and downs all the time-- and having to bear the pain 'til the next dose!!! HOWEVER, I had all the same placement issues that you have, and issues with the gel patches.

I had to experiment with brands until I found one I LOVE! I use the Sandoz matrix patch (no squishing/crinkling). I found that most companies would send me FREE Tegaderm-like Patch-covers, if I called to say their Patch was not sticking. They are in business & want YOU/your ins. to keep buying their particular Patch after all! I did not find the covers helpful. They were another thing that fell off & often pulled the Patch off with it.

I wear my Patches beneath my arm on my side, under my bra (which keeps it VERY secure). I switch sides back & forth when I change patches. I have tried to tolerate MANY other placements(including the TOP of my Breast, where the cup/lace of my bra would hold it) and have not been able to ever tolerate it!

I hope the Patches turn out to be helpful to you!!! ...And hopefully this encourages you to try different kinds of Patches. GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
tortoisegirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

I agree with you my favorite spot so far is lower abdomen at the panty/jeans line. However, with two patches and having to switch spots, I need at least one other main location. Hip isn't too bad. I tried bra-line once but it might have been too high as it was hitting the sensitive under arm skin on the top of it...still got marks from that one. I'll be re-trying upper leg as my first trial didn't go so well (it was too high so it bends with my leg, and was next to the one I had on my hip so I got irritation between the patches).

Yup I need to ask about the nose spray and ensure I don't get Watson patches again (I think they are the only gel brand left?) - hoping for Sandoz, but seems like those are the most expensive and therefore the toughest to find a pharmacy willing to order. I have tried Tegaderms and the Opsite Flexifix and I get irritation/rash from both of those in addition to the patch. It clears up pretty fast, but yeah I definitely need to put something on before like the nose spray. I may try something else for a cover, but those seem the most suggested. I wouldn't dare use the patches without a cover as I only have one extra as of now.

I just picked up makeup remover. I'm really hopeful about these, but so far I seem to be having a lot of problems. They don't even last 48 hours for me...about 4-8 hours short...lucky I tried them before and already knew they didn't last 72 hours and my doctor was familiar with that.

Might have a harder time convincing them to go less than 48 though. I'm very willing to give this a go as I've run through all the good med options and they seem to be my best shot at stable dosing as pills (even long acting) seem to last me about half as long as they should. I know some of it is dose related (too low), but not all. Still improving, but I can put in a call tomorrow about going from 150 to 200, thankfully. Thanks! Best wishes.

Closed Thread