It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

It's time to tell my doctor

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
HappyCamperVA
(female)

HappyCamperVA HB User
It's time to tell my doctor

Hi everyone!! I am 23 years old and I have been seeing my pain management doctor for 2 years. I have arthritis in my low back and SI joints. I have done so much physical therapy, I've had 4 nerve blocks and I get lidocaine injections all the time. I also take tramadol. 2 years ago I started on 3 pills a day, now I take 8 a day as prescribed. I like my tramadol and it helps with the pain. I have also experienced tramadol w/d's. I feel like I am still taking them now just so I don't have to go off of them...if that makes sense. I have tapered myself down to 4 a day and I can still function with minimal pain and no w/d 's at all. I'm ready to tell my doctor that I want to taper off my meds. I'm worried about telling her I tapered from 8 to 4 a day with out asking her. I might leave that part out. I'm also worried that, once I get her on board with my taper, she wont ever prescribe me more or anything else if I need it. We have a good relationship and I think she will be happy that I decided to taper on my own. I just worry. I'm not sure if I even want to go off my meds yet, but it would be nice to get down to 2 a day because I'm still in pain ...but most of it is manageable with tylenol arthritis. Tramadol hasn't ruined my life or anything...but I can see how it could. Ive read on the addiction and recovery board a few times. I guess I don't have much of a question really....I'm just a little nervous about talking to my doctor. I see her tomorrow. What should I expect to happen? I don't want to be cut off, I just want.less.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
tortoisegirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: It's time to tell my doctor

In my opinion you shouldn't taper your meds without telling your doctor because that can be a breach of contract (means for dismissal). If they do a UA and your levels are low, they could assume you are diverting meds (even if you bring in the unused pills, as for all they know you could have bought replacements after your test came back). Working with what you have now, I'd tell your doctor you have been having lower pain levels and think you are ready to try tapering down on the meds, but are scared that you wouldn't have the option to go back if your pain levels were too high. I think a good doctor would be happy for you to give it a try but leave the option open. I'd stress you don't want to do anything too fast, etc. I wouldn't worry about being cut off if you fail to be able to taper down. I can actually relate a lot to wanting to test this out on your own before committing, but its really not a good idea. Best wishes.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
HappyCamperVA
(female)

HappyCamperVA HB User

I just wanted to see how I felt on a lower dose before telling my doctor that I'm 100% ready to do this. I see her today in a few hours. We have a good relationship with each other. I always bring my son in with me and everyone in the office loves seeing him. I have been going there since I was pregnant and my son is 2 now. (I didn't start taking tramadol until after he was born). I think I'm more nervous about not having as many pills available to me...ya know. I'm going to ask for another 2 months of PT. Ive lost 70 pounds since the last time I had PT. By back feels a little better but now I have knee pain and I'm not sure why. I haven't injured it. Would it be weird to mention knee pain while asking for less medicine? The pain is tolerable but its irritating. I just have so much running through my head!

Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Prettyinpink81
(female)

Prettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB User

Lol you sound like me. I always have so many things to discuss with my doctor. Here's my question for you. How is your tramadol prescribed? If its as needed, feel free to tell your doctor that you cut down on your own (but make sure you bring the left over pills) If you are supposed to take on a set schedule, then I wouldn't mention anything.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
HappyCamperVA
(female)

HappyCamperVA HB User

I had my appointment and it went well. Prettyinpink, it says take 2 pills 4 times a day as needed for pain. Oh and I wrote down everything I wanted to say or ask and I still forgot a few things lol. Anyway, I didn't tell her I started tapering. I told her I'm ready to start tapering and she said she's happy to hear that. She said she is still going to prescribe my 8 a day and I can taper how ever I want. She said I can take 2 weeks or 8 months if I want to. I go back in 2 months. Then the rest of the appointment we talked about my son and if I sold my house yet lol. I feel relieved. I know Im doing the right thing. I need to keep doing my stretches and yoga and I will be fine. I never talk to anyone about this stuff so I'm glad I found this board =)

Old 07-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
tortoisegirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Glad everything went well and she is game with you taking your time if needed.

Closed Thread