It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Any prob getting Morphine sulphate capsules 80MG kadian generic from watson

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
NeckIssueGuy
(male)

NeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB User
Any prob getting Morphine sulphate capsules 80MG kadian generic from watson

I have tried for since the second of the month here in Oklahoma, and nobody can get them to order it just is showing up out of stock at everyone's warehouses JEEZE.NO 80MG GENERIC KADIAN TO BE HAD.. Wallmart can get em from Actavis but I can't pay 600-700 bucks for the name brand, This is just a mess as my regular pharmacy has never had a problem in a year getting this stuff now it's like the plague.

Now at least I was in the middle of a switch over. To try Oxycontin again but the doc done a very conservative conversion at 20MG, as it is not enough,But one good thing is my pharmacy had 40 of the 80MG Kadian generic left, and has owed me twenty for the month,
Now this is crazy he says the 72 HR deal don't matter, if or when they come in as the insurance WAS BILLED THE 2ND WOW!!! now he is reversing the charges to them and Friday I have to stop by the doc's and pick up my prescriptions,

We are now supposed to either be doing 100MG mscontin and the 20 oxy along with10 Percocet for breakthrough thank God I had those this month, or going like 40MG on the oxy and dropping the morphine to 60MG or so...I just am so glad I had enough for at least 1 a day and 2 on some as I would have been in the ER or had to go back to the Doc and get a new script....
This whole roller coaster ride for the last three years since falling off the top of my dump truck, is just catching up to me I suppose it's time to just wait and see what Friday brings. I hope it is sustainable as I talked to the ^#%$^#&^%NURSE,nothing against nurses as my daughter is working on her degree, but some are just real gutless and don't give a damn honestly, they should get another job, as I will probably have to have a sit down with the Doc Friday and get some things worked out. terrible and my next appointment is in October JEEZE I HOPE FRIDAY IS GOOD TO ME, everyone take care wishing you all better days for sure as we do deserve it sometimes.

Had to edit and add this, The change over is terrible if I don't use both meds, I will most definitely go into withdrawals or have no pain coverage, But this way has my tolerance so jacked up it isn't even funny, at this point I just hope it is a better month, but it's not looking that way as the Ms don't even compare to the coverage I get from the Kadian. unless I almost take double but at least with the oxy I can alternate between the two every 6 Hrs that seems to make the tolerance issue get stupid I don't know take care

Last edited by NeckIssueGuy; 07-29-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: last part

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
tortoisegirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: Any prob getting Morphine sulphate capsules 80MG kadian generic from watson

Sorry you are having this issue. Nope I'm not on this med so I can't comment. If your pharmacy shows it out of stock, not much you can do besides try a different pharmacy. Yours may only order from a selection of brands, and there may be another generic brand carried by another pharmacy. If one is out of stock, it can lead to shortages of others though. Seems like med shortages are becoming a common problem.

I hope your doctor has some good ideas. Be firm with them about how poorly you are doing (ie. you need a significantly higher dose) and that you cannot be waiting until October to be seen again. Not sure if MSC is a good substitute for Kadian as it released quite different...usually you switch from MSC to Kadian or Avinza. The other way around could be tough, even if you were to switch the same mg/day out. Once you add in a dose drop (during the conversion) and Oxycontin, I can see how things get screwed up.

Why not a smaller dose of generic Kadian? Can your pharmacy get the 20mg or 40mg pills? I know they can't fill the rest of that old prescription with a different dose, but it seems like that is over with anyways since you have the appointment Friday. You could get the same dose but take multiple pills.

I agree my having some extra days of pills has really saved myself in the past...sometimes things are beyond your control. I've been going through some big pain med changes these last few months. I wanted to switch to see if we could do better than the little relief I was getting, but so far I've only been doing worse, plus having withdrawal. Best wishes.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
msnova74
(female)

msnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB User

Saw your message and just thought I'd share my solution.

years ago I was on kadiam , fentanyl. ocycontin many of the local pharmacies did not and would not carry opiates in such large doses. What we were able to do was use a hospital pharmacy. It required my MD to authorize, but it was worth it to know that my meds were always available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T

The Following User Says Thank You to msnova74 For This Useful Post:
waters04 (07-30-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
NeckIssueGuy
(male)

NeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB User

I hear ya on needing higher dosages, I have been trying to get by the best I can, and was just talking to the Doc about getting off much of this crap as possible HAHA JINKS, She said when you're comfortable let me know and we can see where your pain is,Well it's actually not at a point of even reducing ANY MEDS at the moment if ever,
Damn don't look like i'll be driving truck or getting on any Metal roofs, as my business is Destroyed and I am just tired.

The darn problem with Kadian is that the only generic co. that makes it is Watson, and now they have Actavis the original maker, so they have it ALL under there control, I thought that would mean good things but I suppose not.
The multiple pill per day deal takes a week to get approved, as the insurance only wants to pay for 2x a day as they say.

I wish the Doc would of never give me the stuff and left it at the oxy, MScontin and percs, but the oxy does not do anything

OHOH but yesterday threw me into withdrawls LOL was the third day without it and taking the morphine, so I had to take one, well at least I get some sign of it being in my system just no pain relief.

Well I could ramble for days as I was a good salesman back in the day LOL,

OH I don't have an appointment that was last month, she will be there to fix anything the nurse may have screwed up as she prepares a pile for her to sign what B/S.

I can't complain though when I do see her we talk for 1/2 hour -45MIN. most the time so I suppose she's saving time.
We have to get the Radial nerve issues to tame down, and try to get my hand and fingers strong again, at least they do work now and I can lift my wrist and fingers.
It took many months and LOTS OF MEDS to get through that, so at least we can coast with my neck as there is no impingement or fractures from the fall just wore out.

Jeeze I'll be 40 this year and feel like 65 working my dog A$$ off all those years, to get the crew off the job and my time clock!! has finally done me in, as I'd say at 9-10 at night every night in the summer back through the last two decades, jump of the roof sit in the truck, and first words was STICK A FORK IN ME I'M SOOO DONE WITH THIS JOB IT'S TO HARD LOL

Well sorry bought that I guess it's a poor me day today as I NEVER express my feelings (as this can be a problem but is just the way I am) or pain to the wife and kids,
They are growing and she has enough going on helping because i'm down. She hasn't worked in 22 years WOW did I say that, well we been together a lil while for sure, most the time I don't have to say anything she reads me like a book, but I'm glad I can get on here and vent and read and vent every now and then.

As for the hospital pharmacy it's about a 300 mile round trip, trying to keep it to 40-50 terrible living in the sticks but is SOOO MUCH NICER THAN THE SUBURBS OF DETROIT!!! where I grew up in a very nice neighborhood, but worked in the ghetto for about 10 years up there, I had to take the kids and run. That aera isn't fit to raise a hood rat in these days, nothing like 35-40 years ago jeeze.
So ya the city deal here is out of the question, and I have sorta #$^#$%myself moving where I have, but it's a nice small town like everyone knows your business but,that's good I suppose as the kids will have a fair shot at life.

Thanks now wising you both less pain for sure you take care now THANKS

OH almost forgot this, but I only have 2 chain pharmacies and 3-4 ma pop deals and the one usually has no problem. Wallyworld will take a week and it's brand insurance won't pay,and nobody else will mess with it as it cost to much to get stuck with a bottle, even the generic is costing the insurance more than I could get brand name at wallmart for Jeeze Waiting for FRIDAY LOL

Last edited by NeckIssueGuy; 07-31-2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: pharmacies

Old 08-01-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
NeckIssueGuy
(male)

HI woohoo Wallmart got ahold of the generic so they should have it Thursday or Friday when I go to town, Jeeze just had to get the right person to talk to about it that actually gave a darn.
This is just mesed up for us, as they could get it all along liars well have a good day

Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Shoreline
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

I actually had a hard time finding MS ER 30 mg tablets yesterday for my wife. It might not just be Kadian. The govt sets quarterly and anual quotas of how much of each narcotic is allowed to be produced. Mallenkrodt is the only bulk distributer that I know of. I'm sure their are a couple others, But being the maker of the raw material certainly gives them an edge on price and I imagine supply, I'm sure there are others that actually make the bulk morphine and every other opiate and sells it to everyone else that makes morphine or other opiate products. They dont even need opium these days to make morphine, they broke down the molecular structure and have been synthasizing morphine since "79.
good luck, Dave

Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
Ilovemycutedog
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

I've been really lucky with my Sam's club pharmacy over the last 11 years as they have never run short or out of stock with any particular medication. They did switch manufacturers of the MSContin 30mg I take which is now Mallincrodkt, the same as the MSContin 15mg that I take. So even though it may narrow down to one laboratory, they always have enough in stock to cover my prescriptions.

I do think it's harder when someone is on the highest dosages of a medication if they have few customers on this then it's harder to order smaller shipments. Someone suggested in another thread to get a note from the Dr. to use the hospital pharmacy where the Dr. has privileges, so that is an option if someone runs into the same issue each month.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
NeckIssueGuy
(male)

Wow wallmart actually lied to me as it wasn't on the load when it came jeeze, Terrible as I used all my Emergency meds and finally HAD TO accept the fact it is not available, as wallgreens tried out to the east coast and 12 different warehouses. actually looked right at their stock online and couldn't see any sitting around to order.

The only alternative was to get MS ER 60s 3x instead of 2x a day Kadian80s and I have only took 2 a day trying to cut down but the pain is terrible (no withdrawals though)thinking hard as the Doc wants to try Methadone now!!!

Her exact words was... wouldn't you like to not have to worry about the pain or if it's available for a while, would be less stress for you and your wife and I wouldn't have to worry about you ODING with the patches in our heat.

I was just not expecting that but she wants me comfortable as she says,and the Kadian wasn't even doing all that great of a job, but better than the oxy as it just don't work anymore.

Well at least I can coast till October and just deal with the pain, cause I know from my neighbors experience I DO NOT want to even start the Meth road at 40 years old. He has been on subs for almost 2 years now and tired of it.

I know I will need something but just don't wanna go there yet, but I will have to think hard about it I suppose, as I have had no quality of life since the fall in 2010. I guess it will all work out one way or another, as I have to try to get back working just no labor intensive jobs anymore.

Been waiting for good news on the Meds but there isn't any to let you folks know, as I just have to throw a few of em around till we figure something else out or go the Meth route.

take care and thanks for the support

Old 08-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
tortoisegirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Why is methadone any different from taking morphine, oxycontin, fentanyl patches, etc, for the pain? It can be a great pain med for some folks, same with any other pain med. I'm 26 and have been on methadone for a few years...actually its the best long acting pain med for me. I have a feeling you may have some misconceptions on this med, which is not surprised considering there is so much mis information on this med, its association with drug addiction, news stories of overdose, etc. There is a big difference between someone who takes it for addiction and someone who takes it for chronic pain.

May you be thinking about its reputation of being difficult to get off of? I think that again stems from folks who have addiction problems. It can be tapered off of just like any med, or else you can switch onto something else (I have done this straight, just waiting 24 hours after the methadone to start up on a replacement).

Only difference with this med is it needs to be started at a very low dose and increased slowly, so ensure you are given some breakthrough meds when starting it (and that your doctor doesn't start you on a crazy high dose). Most of the bad stuff you here is from folks combining it with other meds or taking too much (as it builds up in the system until it reaches steady state after 5-7 days).

I'd definitely give it a try if other meds haven't been working. It was actually the first long acting med I tried, but that is more unusual. I've heard it works for some folks like me who didn't do well on other meds as it hits different receptors. Its definitely easy to find and cheap. I have less side effects on it, but everyone is different. I'm happy to try to answer any questions I can about the med. Feel free to message me or start a new thread too. Best wishes.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
Ilovemycutedog
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Just FYI but using the term "Meth" actual refers to Methamphetamines and not Methadone. That is why you will hear "Meth addict".....

And as Tortoise mentioned, Methadone has been around for a very long time and has been used for many years now for pain management. It is a very effective PM medication as the half life is very long. So you do not have the ups/downs as many other medications have.

I'm not sure about your neighbor but it sounds like he was using them to get high and not for pain management the way you describe it.

There are quite a few people on the boards here who have had success with Methadone. And yes, just like any opiate medication, it is tirated slowly either up or down. So as long as you have a good Dr. working with you there should be no problem. It sounds like you do have a good one as they are working very hard to find the best treatment for your pain as well as what is available and easier to find at the Pharmacy.

And just remember, an opiate is just one small piece of the puzzle in helping lower our pain. We should never rely solely on this for our pain management. There are dozens of modalities that should be used daily, weekly, and monthly so that our tolerance to meds can stay low.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
NeckIssueGuy
(male)

Hey thanks for the advice,I wasn't knocking METHADONE one bit, just the thing that scares me is the super long half life and withdrawal issues, as I can taper the morphine in a day or two and jump off,totally unaffected, and if I have a Doc issue out here in the sticks my high blood pressure wouldn't affect my health as bad getting off the Morphine,but the Oxycontin was Hell and I wasn't on that high of a dose

I just am so tired of being dependent on the Doc for quality of life ya know, as I will be for BP meds for life,just probably gotta make the jump,as I really would rather get on the Methadone and get back working it is terrible sitting around and doing housework,
I have been ADHD since I was a kid and never had any Meds for it but still drives me crazy not working these last couple years, alright rant rant LOL what else is there to do right,ACCEPT IT I SUPPOSE I keep trying to tell myself.

The worst part is the only job around I can get without making pennies now compared to my business, is on a drilling rig and that is not gonna be fun good pay and benefits though, but lots more meds ok done with my wa wa stuff sorry guys.
The neighbor was on hundreds of MG of Meth, we all use that here as we know what were talking about, as I know what it means on the street the [email protected][email protected] has ate up this small town, and it's so sad from young to old it's just terrible what it has done to highly respected folks around here, is why my business flopped when I couldn't work, nobody worth a hoot as they all have good jobs, and it goes with the construction most are drunks or on dope can't find no good help, so I know all about the meth for short but we use it in a different context here sometimes, but I should stop though as people searching that crap will come here, and we don't need that now so sorry if it offended anyone.

I figured I would respond to yall here as starting a Methadone info form isn't necessary. I have plenty of info on it actually the Anesthesiologist that does my cervical Esi's had tried it out, and it helped my neck really really good I just was scared of the dependance and long life of it and not really having an option to stop it ya know.
I do thank all you good folks for the input and hearing me whine about life as it just helps, even if it don't get read I can vent I suppose and I'm just gonna have to figure this out, as it's really a no brainier unlike most my contracts there was lots of decision making ,but that was just for the money THIS IS MY LIFE NOW!!! jeeze I dunno
Thank you for listening and your support as we all need it, I wish you all the best of days you can have Take care
sincerely: Tony

Closed Thread