It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Your opinion on fentanyl patch and using waterproof bandages to keep them on?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
justmeintheie
(male)

justmeintheie HB User
Exclamation Your opinion on fentanyl patch and using waterproof bandages to keep them on?

Hello everyone, I have been on OPANA ER 80 MG IN THE A.M. AND 80 MG IN THE P.M. (TWO 40'S EACH TIME) AND ALSO ON THE FENTANYL PATCHES, I HAVE DIG DISC DISEASE AND IT IS PROGRESSING CANNOT HAVE SURGERY BECAUSE OF AN IMMUNE SYSTEM SITUATION. I WANTED TO ASK IF ANYONE ELSE HERE USES JOHNSON & JOHNSON (OR OTHER BRAND) OF WATERPROOF BANDAGES? I HAVE BEEN ON THESE NOW FOR A FEW YEARS IN FACT I WEAR 2 100 MCG EVERY 72 HOURS AND JUST READ ON THE INSTRUCTIONS TODAY "DO NOT PUT ANY KIND OF BANDAGE OVER THE PATCH" WELL SHOOT, THEY DO NOT STICK WELL IN THE FIRST PLACE AND I REFUSE NOT TO SHOWER FOR 72 HOURS. THEY ARE LARGE SO MOST OF THE STICKY PART OF THE BANDAGE COVERS MY ARM ONLY, THEY ARE SUCH A HASSLE! AND WITH THE AMOUNT OF MEDICATION I AM TAKING I WAS THINKING ABOUT ASKING MY DOCTOR JUST TO PUT ME ON A DOSE OF ORAL MORPHINE EQUIVALENT TO MY DOSAGES NOW SO I DON'T HAVE TO WEAR THESE BIG BROWN PATCHES ON MY ARM, I AM 47 AND YOU GO TO THE POOL OR A BEACH AND TAKE OFF YOUR SHIRT AND HAVE THESE TWO BIG BROWN BANDAGES ON EACH ARM, THAT'S REAL ATTRACTIVE! LOL!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Moldova
Senior Veteran
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Your opinion on fentanyl patch and using waterproof bandages to keep them on?

Welcome on board!

1. Didn't your Dr tell you not to put anything on top of your patch? Strange because by covering your patch you increase the temperature under it which may cause overdose on a drug. Not only my DR told me that, but also Pharmacist and on instructions which come with any drug from the Pharmacy, you can read what you can and what you can't do while on patch. I see you go on a beach with it, do you know that heat increases the drug absorption into your system? While on Fentanyl patch, I wasn't able to take hot shower and was never able to take a bath. Forget beach.

2. I never had a problem to attach my patches well. I applied only on very clean, oil free area and it sticks pretty well although some people complained it doesn't stay on them. Maybe their skin more oily than mine, I don't know what was the reason.

After I read the danger of patches and about accidents, I was very careful with no problem. Only when my PM Dr increased my dose pretty rapidly, I developed terrible side effects and ended up at the Hospital. After I left the Hospital i asked my PM if I can be on oral medication, no more patches for me. If it bothers you so much, you can always discuss this matter with your Doctor, I am sure he will find the way to help you.

Best wishes
Moldova

Old 09-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
justmeintheie
(male)

justmeintheie HB User
Re: Your opinion on fentanyl patch and using waterproof bandages to keep them on?

honestly thank you for replying, i told my doctor about them staying on and I told him, actually showed him what I was using to keep them on and he didnt say ANYTHING, I asked him if it was ok and he said it was fine. the "beach" thing, I don't go to the beach or stay in the heat, I was just writing that if i wanted to take off my shirt at the beach or a pool it would be embarassing to have two brown big band aids and you know people are nosy and are going to ask questions, etc. I knew the heat increased the potency but like i said my doctor didnt say don't put anything over the patch. TODAY is the day I change them and I will not put anything over them, he is not in on mondays but i will be walking in on wed when they re open, i am not even going to call and make an appt because this is a huge error on his part, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFO. When I first started them I read the insert, but he basically told me in the office how to put it on etc. They started to fall off early, which would make my refill too early sometimes and I told him, and in fact HE TOLD ME to find some waterproof tape or something to put on them! Boy I am mad now, not at you. DOCTORS!

Old 09-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Moldova
Senior Veteran
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Hey I dont blame you for being upset. Have to admit that many Doctors just simple too busy for us, they don't have time to take and explain how and what... This is why I always say thank God for Internet, I find there a lot of information I need and many times I bring it to my Dr and he agrees with it. WE have to be our own advocates, nobody will do it for us.
This board is great b/c people share their experiences, their knowledge, so I always pick something I am interested in. I read many posts on patches and everyone saying that no way you can cover your patch with anything.
You may go to the Pharmacy and buy a good OIL FREE lotion, after shower you wipe the area with it, dry well and then you can apply your patch.

Also please make sure the ends of the patch don't bend.
And of course I understand how uncomfortable one feels around people with patches on their arms; I was one of them so I know.

Be safe
Moldova

Old 09-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
justmeintheie
(male)

justmeintheie HB User

thanks again you sound like a very kind person! I am so glad i googled this and found this board.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
prodigalguy
(male)

prodigalguy HB User

I use 3M Nexcare brand Tegaderm dressings/covers on my patches. They are breathable and stick extremely well (occasionally an edge will lift up and I just put a small piece of waterproof first aid tape to hold that down and keep it from peeling further). My pharmacist and doctor agreed these are the best way to insure they stay on. I also use Watson gel type generics which seem to be notoriously bad for staying put. Tegaderm is the way to go...just my two cents! Best of luck to you.

Closed Thread

Tags
fentanyl patches