It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

percocets and swollen lymph nodes

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
jamie5538
(female)

jamie5538 HB User
percocets and swollen lymph nodes

doesn anyone know if you can get swollen lymph nodes from taking or stopping pecocets? On one side of you neck?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Ilovemycutedog
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: percocets and swollen lymph nodes

Having swollen lymph nodes are usually a sign of an infection like the flu, mono, Fibromyalgia, or something else but has nothing to do with opiates.

Obviously I'm not a Dr. but I've been on opiates for many years. Please talk with your Dr., especially if you are about to have surgery, I'm sure they will do pre-op bloodwork beforehand to check for any infection as then surgery would have to be postponed.

Do you have a fever? Although you mention stopping Percocets....did you go from taking the max to running out and taking nothing? Even then it may cause chills and "fever like" or "flu like" symptoms with withdrawal. But actually shouldn't cause a rise in temperature or swollen lymph nodes.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
jamie5538
(female)

jamie5538 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycutedog View Post
Having swollen lymph nodes are usually a sign of an infection like the flu, mono, Fibromyalgia, or something else but has nothing to do with opiates.

Obviously I'm not a Dr. but I've been on opiates for many years. Please talk with your Dr., especially if you are about to have surgery, I'm sure they will do pre-op bloodwork beforehand to check for any infection as then surgery would have to be postponed.

Do you have a fever? Although you mention stopping Percocets....did you go from taking the max to running out and taking nothing? Even then it may cause chills and "fever like" or "flu like" symptoms with withdrawal. But actually shouldn't cause a rise in temperature or swollen lymph nodes.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
jamie5538
(female)

jamie5538 HB User

no I didn't stop taking them all together, just taking less because I don't want to run out. It is only on one side of my neck, the reason I ask is cause I was reading something that said people might get swollen glands if they have withdrawel? I have never hear that before I have only been taking the meds for 3+ weeks, so I just didn't know if that was true.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Ilovemycutedog
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

If you've only been on them a few weeks and just taking a few less...there shouldn't be any symptoms of withdrawal.

And as I mentioned, in all my years in PM, I've never heard of swollen lymph nodes having anything to do with opiates...being on or going off them.

But it's important to make sure your surgeon knows about this so that they can do appropriate pre-op bloodwork.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Fiona_Jo
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

I would think it's unrelated. If the lymph nodes don't go down, I would see your Doctor.

~ Fiona Jo

Old 10-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
jamie5538
(female)

jamie5538 HB User

Thanks I will talk to them soon. It's just really weired that this is happening to me now.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
jamie5538
(female)

jamie5538 HB User

Thank you all who wrote back to me I went to the GP Doctor today and he said "infection" oh big surprise, so after 2 days with no antibiotics I am back on them, and after all my worry about the pain meds he said not to worry, he would give me more until I have the surgery I need. He also said I was taking them right and wrote it out clearer on my paper work so I don't need to guess what to take and when. So even though my lymph node is infected and so are my kidneys they will keep me on the antibiotic til I get into surgery. Thank you all!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
lymph nodes, pain medication