It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Tamadol 50 mg.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Amanda06
(female)

Amanda06 HB User
Tamadol 50 mg.

Hi:
My GP rx'ed Tamadol 50 mg. as needed, or four times per day for my Arthritis pain, around hip and lower part of my body, because a sudden cold-spell makes me my Arthritis pain getting worse.

Until then, with Meloxicum 7.5 mg. bid, I was doing really well with no pain to recall.

I would be truly appreciated it if any of you on this board would share the experience or any knowledge on this med., Tamadol 50 mg.

Thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Ilovemycutedog
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: Tamadol 50 mg.

Hi there....Just fyi (so you can research easier) it is Tramadol (with an r). This is the name for the generic version of the medication Ultram.

I was on this for quite a few years when I first started my chronic pain journey. I'm not sure why they are prescribing it for arthritis pain as it is not an anti-inflammatory. Are you still taking the Mobic (Meloxicam)? That is very strange that they would switch you if this was helping you so much and that medication is meant for arthritis.

If you are just starting to take it....I certainly wouldn't take the maximum dose per day. I would only need 3 or less and this was after a few years of being on it. Whenever I start a new medication I always want to take the least amount I can to help. This keeps my tolerance level from growing.

But obviously you need to do whatever your Dr. and you have discussed.

You will find all sorts of information online as far as those who had great success with it, and others who didn't like it at all.

The key is realizing that many of the people who say it didn't work, are much farther along in the process of chronic pain management and have other types of pain issues like multiple major surgeries under their belt.

Again, I found it to be very helpful for many years but I didn't have arthritis. So, I would hope that this is just a medication that is "in addition" to your Mobic instead of replacing it..

Old 10-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Amanda06
(female)

Amanda06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycutedog View Post

Again, I found it to be very helpful for many years but I didn't have arthritis. So, I would hope that this is just a medication that is "in addition" to your Mobic instead of replacing it..
Thanks for the quick and very knowlegeable response.

I just forgot to mention regarding 'in addition,' .... well, the GP told me I can continue to take Meloxicum 7.5 mg. bid per day, but Tamadol 50 mg. is as needed for the pain, stiffness and rigidity in the lower part of my body during the early part of mornings.

I'm relieved to know that Tamadol 50 mg. sounds a good med. to take with Meloxicum 7.5 mg. per day. However, I try to cut in half the tab(equivalent to 25 mg., a mimimum-dosage to see whether I'd get a relief with this med.

Thanks again,

Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Ilovemycutedog
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Glad to know they are keeping you on the Mobic. Just make absolutely sure that the medication is NOT the ER (extended release) Tramadol as those cannot be cut in half. It sounds like it is the short acting one from the way the prescription is written. But I always double check things just to be sure

I hope that this addition will provide some extra pain relief for you.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Daffydolphin
(male)

Daffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB User

When I was on tramadol I found it worthless unless taken every 4 to 6 hours, everyday. When taken only when pain flared up, even 2 did nothing, except generate side effects. 4 to 5 a day was about the same relief as 2 aleve, except as mentioned, it is not an anti-inflamitory, so not as good for arthritis. Regular use gave me extreme dry mouth and dry eyes, plus constipation. Two glasses of prune juice a day took care of the later, lots of Thera Tears for the eyes. I had to stop all NSAIDs due to problems with with blood pressure and other cardiac meds.

Regular use of Tramadol can create a strong dependence and worse to withdraw from than hyrocodone.

Last edited by Daffydolphin; 10-18-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Add info

Closed Thread