It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• questions about back pain and pain management

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
    itoctop
    (male)

itoctop HB User
    questions about back pain and pain management

in 2010 i was in a car accident and got MRIs as well as physical therapy. i was eventually awarded $17500 for my injuries. it was painful at first but i thought it was manageable. 3 years later i have chronic back pain. i have 2 bulging discs and arthritis in my neck as well as 3 bulging discs in my lower back. i have MRIs as well as reports to my injuries. as well as these injuries in 2008 i completely severed my ACL in my knee and i also have pain in my knee as well. i do have MRIs for this injury as well. i need pain management for my back and my knee but i do not have insurance. i am simply looking for medication management. what are the steps i would need to take to get the proper medication. i am very limited on funds and am looking just to see a pain management doctor. any help would be appreciated. please no smart replys i know what i am doing. i know the risks. i am not looking for alternatives or surgery or injections. thank you for any help. also this is tampa bay area

Last edited by Administrator; 03-29-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
    Brokend
    (male)

Brokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB User
    Re: questions about back pain and pain management

Step 1) Get a referral to a PM Doc/Clinic

Step 2) Leave your dignity at the door

Step 3) Never mention medication and hope for the best

Old 03-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

brokend is right. You will not get pain med by walking in to a PM doc and telling him/her that you want pain meds. You need to be willing to go thru the different modalities offered in addition to the pain meds.

Abuse of pain meds is a HUGE business these days and no doctor worth their salt will just give you meds because you say that you need them. You need toextablish trust with the doctor and a willingness to follow their suggestions for other means of pain control.

Good luck.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

Also, once you get an appointment, be sure to bring all your MRI reports and information about your conditions with you to your first appointment.

Good luck!

~ Fiona Jo

Old 03-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Medical only management is usually only offered after all other modalities have failed and surgery is no longer an option. That means that you may need to see the doctor, go to and participate in physical therapy, recieve injections, more MRI's and testing, and consult with at least one surgeon depending on the findings on the testing before they will consider long term management with pain medications.
    Bulging discs are a normal finding and can simply be positional- meaning that the way you are laying on the table during the MRI can be the cause of the bulge depending on how large it is or if it is touching any of the nerve roots or spinal canal at all. If the disc is in contact with the nerve root or the thecal sac, it may be that surgery is necessary to prevent further damage.
    You have to keep in mind that pain management is a group of treatments, and therapies, not just getting prescriptions handed to you to take for pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to backhurtz For This Useful Post:
    ferd144 (03-29-2013)
    Old 03-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
    galalena
    Inactive
    (female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

My pm doc just told me this week, do NOT have any more surgery! Guess that is why he said he would take care of me, with methadone, if needed.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-29-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
    ferd144
    Veteran
    (female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Step 1) Get a referral to a PM Doc/Clinic

Step 2) Leave your dignity at the door

Step 3) Never mention medication and hope for the best[/QUOTE]

I will add these as well:

Step 4) Many PM's/Clinics are NOT accepting new patients w/o insurance or on a CASH basis,so this will limit your choices

Step 5) Pain Management is not birthright,and having a mind-set such as : i know what i am doing. i know the risks. i am not looking for alternatives or surgery or injections and will not get you very far

GL
    Ferd

Last edited by ferd144; 03-29-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

But he doesn't have the money to go to a pain doctor.

Well, you can go to the free health clinic they have there where you live. Not sure about Florida, but you can check.

Sorry to hear you have been in a car accident...and you are so young.

I know how much you are suffering. Believe me, I know. So try the free health clinic, see what they can do for you there.

All the best

Last edited by nochange; 03-31-2013 at 04:50 AM.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:20 AM   #9
    Tipper26
    (male)

Tipper26 HB User

Hi I'm new to this board. Is there a reason why people are suggesting ways to get around the initial treatments and ultimately gain access to painkillers. Isn't the goal to avoid the last resort of painkillers, aren't they are fairly dangerous?

Old 03-31-2013, 05:02 AM   #10
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Well, when you have severe back or neck pain caused by car accident, then you really need pain killers. Nothing really helps that type of pain.

Imagine - Chronic constant pain. It never goes away, 24/7.

Physical therapy doesn't help neck pain I can tell you that.
    Tens didn't help me that much, not for neck pain anyway.

I hope you will never have to experience chronic pain.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tipper26 View Post
    Hi I'm new to this board. Is there a reason why people are suggesting ways to get around the initial treatments and ultimately gain access to painkillers. Isn't the goal to avoid the last resort of painkillers, aren't they are fairly dangerous?
    I was suggesting no such thing as avoiding any of the standard treatments, I was telling the original poster that they must go through those options and participate in them fullly before a PM doctor will consider medical management as an option.
    If it were an option for me, I would go back to PT, and the other lesser modalities all over again but in my situation those are no longer options that my doctor feels is doable since I have a sc injury.
    However, if I saw a new doctor and they felt that they wanted me to try, I would do it.....even if I personally felt that it wasn't going to be beneficial.
    As far as pain killers being dangerous, yes, they can be, but only when not taken exactly as directed by your doctor. If the patient decides to abuse both the medication and their relationship with the doctor, they won't be on them for long.

The Following User Says Thank You to backhurtz For This Useful Post:
    ferd144 (03-31-2013)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    knee, medication, pain, pain management, spine