It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• in a lot of pain HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
    xDistant
    (female)

xDistant HB User
    in a lot of pain HELP!

So I just got back from the dentist and had a root canal (the tooth was in really bad shape) as well as my wisdom tooth pulled. I was given amoxicillin and t3's.
    I took 2 t3's about 45mins ago, plus 1 extra strength advil. I am still in a LOT of pain. Is there anything else I could do to either subside the pain or get rid of it completely?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
    mombomb
    (female)

mombomb HB Usermombomb HB Usermombomb HB User
    Re: in a lot of pain HELP!

I dont remember which they recommend for dental work, heat or ice, but I'd try that. You can call the dentists office and ask which one.

I hope it subsides. I just posted about massive TMJ pain myself. I'm using a heat pad and it does help some.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
    ferd144
    Veteran
    (female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xDistant View Post
    So I just got back from the dentist and had a root canal (the tooth was in really bad shape) as well as my wisdom tooth pulled. I was given amoxicillin and t3's.
    I took 2 t3's about 45mins ago, plus 1 extra strength advil. I am still in a LOT of pain. Is there anything else I could do to either subside the pain or get rid of it completely?
    Welcome X

Unfortunately visiting the dentist for root canal(or even basic cavities) can,and usually is a painful experience.After any type of R/C therapy (or oral surgery) most dentists in this paranoid pain compliant climate we live in will NOT script any narcotics(Vicodin's, Norco, Oxys or even the lowest level T3's)

Assuming there is no infection.....it usually takes at least 1-3 days for the initial throbbing/pain to ease.I have used heating pads in the past that have helped to a certain extent.Over-the counter meds(Tylenol,Advil,Ibuprofen,etc will also help as well)

However after a few days if you are still swollen,or in extreme pain........I would immediately contact your dentist.An oral/tooth infection is very nasty,but can be treated with antibiotics stronger than amox.

Check-in here in a few days

Good Luck,
    Ferd144

Old 05-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear X, My oral surgeon recommended ice packs when i had wisdom teeth out & no aspirin or advil because of bleeding but that might have been before wisdom teeth surgery. My dr listed excessive pain as a reason to call him along with bleeding, fever, etc. I hope that you are better by now, funny Im also having pain because a crown came off!Lol

Old 05-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Oil of clove is a really good over the counter medication that works wonders for tooth pain. Since one of the procedures was a root canal, then nerve was removed so that isn't what is causing the pain , it is most probably surgical pain from the wisdom tooth. Using the clove oil will help that tremendously. Make sure that you are following the directions of the oral surgeon or dentist who prescribed the tylenol # 3, taking them only as directed. Motrin is good since the anti inflammatory properties help reduce inflammation, swelling and the pain as well. Use ice, 15-20 minutes on and then off the same amount of time. Heat can be used after 24 hours for any additional pain.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
    xDistant
    (female)

xDistant HB User

Thanks for all the replies. Thank goodness the pain isnt as bad as before, buttits defiantly still throbbing. The heating pad idea and oil of clove sound like good ideas, perhaps ill try tomorrow as just brushing against my cheek nevermind the actual tooth or gum sebds sharp pains. Im finding right now though that two t3's and one advil are doing justice compared to just t3's. But yeah tomorrow ill for sure try your recommendations. Thanks so much!

The following user gives a hug of support to xDistant:
    ferd144 (05-08-2013)
    Closed Thread