It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Excessive sweating

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
    Stryker1952
    (male)

Stryker1952 HB User
    Question Excessive sweating

What I didn't see on previous threads is whether or not your sweating was excessive from the start of taking oxycodone. It wasn't for me. This something that has occurred within the last few months. This concerns me that it might be caused by something else. The dosage has increased over the years to now where I'm taking 180mg per day. This is a lot. Any comments would really be appreciated. I'm about ready for detox and find some other way of controlling the pain. The sweating is miserable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
    Whoopee
    Veteran
    (male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User
    Re: Excessive sweating

I don't know how common it is but I used to get the sweats when I used to be on Oxycontin years ago. As long as I was at home I didn't mind it too much but it's kind of strange if you're at work and start leaking for no obvious reason. I sort of remember it lessening over time but again, it was awhile ago.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

I too used to not have a problem with it, but a couple months after my most recent dose increase, it started...the slightest exertion and I'm drenched. Switching to another med may help, although sometimes a new med comes with its own side effects. If the pain meds help however, it may be worth trying a different med vs. a detox. By the way, plenty of folks take more than that a day.

However, its all about what you and your doctor are comfortable, and the pros (pain relief) vs. cons (side effects). Doses can eventually get to a point where side effects are outweighing benefits. I see myself creeping towards that. Is your doctor trying non-narcotic treatments for you too? Best wishes.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi stryker, I wear fentanyl patches & have morphine for bt & ive started sweating when i get out of hot bath. No med changes. Thought you might want to know. I guess it can happen on any narcotic even without a change with me but i do live in Texas so very hot but i live in the a/c & after blow drying my hair it gets wet again around the edges. I understand your frustration, it is miserable! At least you dont have to apply make up to a wet palette, my face!Lol It is aggravating but my pain is disabling so i live it, its a trade off that is worth it to me. Hope your dr can provide a solution for you.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
    ferd144
    Veteran
    (female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    Hi stryker, I wear fentanyl patches & have morphine for bt & ive started sweating when i get out of hot bath. No med changes. Thought you might want to know. I guess it can happen on any narcotic even without a change with me but i do live in Texas so very hot but i live in the a/c & after blow drying my hair it gets wet again around the edges. I understand your frustration, it is miserable! At least you dont have to apply make up to a wet palette, my face!Lol It is aggravating but my pain is disabling so i live it, its a trade off that is worth it to me. Hope your dr can provide a solution for you.
    The last few years,I have been sweating ALOT as well.It seems to be mostly at night or when I sleep.Its a terrible uncomfortable feeling... and my docs attribute it mostly to my asthma/allergy conditions but also being amplified by pain meds too

However it does seem (as Gmak says),that its even worse when hot weather(esp at high humidity levels) that my conditions worsen.

But I have the A/C sooo high you can hang meat in my house!

Ferd

The Following User Says Thank You to ferd144 For This Useful Post:
    gmak (06-05-2013)
    Old 01-12-2014, 04:13 AM   #6
    Angelflutter
    (female)

Angelflutter HB User
    Unhappy Re: Excessive sweating

OMG !! The sweats are THE WORST. I am 57 and have been off of my hormone replacement therepy for the past two years. ( So fittingly, I thought my sweating was due to that. ) Appxox. 2 months prior to going off of my hormone replacement I started going to a PM doc. ( Long Hx. of back pain from a couple of injuries in the mid 90's ) I have suffered and suffered.

Unfortunately none of my primary care docs throughout the years would prescribe narcotic pain meds and I was left to suffer with being told to take Ibuprophen or Extra Strength Tylenol . I am FINALLY seeing a PM doc and he has me on 30mg Soma once a day ( Taken before I go to bed . )and he has me on Oxycontin 30 mg - 2 x a day, and Hydrocodone 7.5 / 500 3 times a day. The pain remains anywhere normally on my meds now somewhere around 3 to 4 with occasional "spikes" to around 7 to 8. But after being on these meds for a couple of months - I SWEAT A LOT.

I notice it more when I am trying to sleep - and I sleep from 1:00 in the afternoon till around 9:00 in the evening since I work the midnight shift. But the funny thing is - even on some nights when I am off and go to sleep at regular " sleep " hours _ I still sweat like a hog. I sweat so bad that I drip. i actually have to keep paper towels or a small face towel around me at all times. I have " sweats" during the time when I am up an working and doing other things other than sleeping. When I am sleeeping I sweat so bad that my clothing and bedding are soaked, then I start freezing - it is miserable. But, like others have said I guess that's the trade off. I think that I would rather sweat than to go back to the pain I was in before getting on some meds that FINALLY allow me to have relief.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-12-2014 at 06:39 AM.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #7
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Hi

I usually don't discuss my own pain management because I can't take narcotics due to the extreme sweating and other life threatening side effects. But just wanted to share that the sweating is typical of narcotic use. The heavy sweating is a typical narcotic withdrawal symptom which affects some of us more than others since the dose cannot be kept perfectly uniform in the body. As soon as we take a dose the drug begins to get processed out of the body. Also, if we are a few minutes late in taking the new dose, that contributes to withdrawals.

After a surgery I was given Oxy, and within 24 hours I was drenched like water had been poured on me. I was told "oh yeah, the sweating is a withdrawal side effect". I only had been on the drug three days, taking exactly as prescribed. I was warned not to skip a dose or the side effect would be worse.

A pharmacist suggested to shave off a little bit more off a pill each day in order to titrate down over weeks. I opted to stop the drug completely and immediately, taking OTC drugs for the pain, and rather than to draw it out over weeks went through withdrawal hell cold turkey.

I live with chronic daily pain and really empathize with all of you. It's a harsh way to have to live with no truly comfortable solution.

Last edited by yayagirl; 01-12-2014 at 07:32 AM.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
    PhilliesFan20
    (female)

PhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB User

This has been a huge problem the entire time I've been on methadone, but in my case, it comes not as a result of withdrawal but as a side effect of the drug. It's most embarrassing at the gym, where I drip buckets and have to always carry a towel to wipe myself (and the equipment). But I don't have to be doing heavy exercise, the slightest change will set it off: a minor warming of the weather, doing light household chores, changing the kitty litter box, changing clothes. I also regularly awake to drenched sheets and pjs, so now leave extras of both by the side of the bed.

I have not found a solution, other than to smother myself in cornstarch powder before exercising. I've been tempted to coat myself in antiperspirant, but that seems a bit excessive (and perhaps unhealthy).

Old 01-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
    Whoopee
    Veteran
    (male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

Angel - the night sweating is definitely a narcotic thing! When I was on high doses of OxyContin I used to be drenched every night and it got very uncomfortable. During a drug-free stretch, I didn't sweat at all during the night or otherwise. My ex used to say it was my body trying to dispose of all the evil things I put in my body during the day. Like I said, EX!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

I definitely easily break into a sweat with the slightest activity. Not so much night sweats though. Sometimes certain pain meds can be worse than another for someone, so if it is quite bothersome, it could be worth trying a different med to see if there are less side effects. Best wishes.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #11
    Angelflutter
    (female)

Angelflutter HB User

I went to my PM doctor today. I had him take me off of the Oxycontin. He changed my routine meds now to 1 Norco 7.50 / 325 to 4 times a day. He also made then PRN. I am hoping that this change will help with the sweats. After reading about the withdrawal effects I am now wondering should I take as needed only or stay on the every 4 to 6 hour routing way. He has totallyleft that up to me. If I don't take - the pain comes back - yet If I do take routinely I am hoping the the sweats either cease or at least not flare up as often or as bad. I tried to use my TENS unit all weekend - but it was more of an aggrivation than a help. So, I had to give up on using it. Has anyone gone off of their meds completely? I understand from reading another post that the withdrawal is hell. Will the sweats cease ? How long will theat take and are there any other symptoms of withdrawal besides the sweats and the return of the pain. I have not tried many other things. Fentynl patches have been tried several years ago - they don't work for me. Does anyone know of a good anti narcotic way? BTW - What is the difference between the Norco and the Lortab? I thought Lortab, Vicodin and Norco were pretty much the same.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:12 AM   #12
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Hi Angelflutter

The withdrawal symptoms are just part of the side effects of the drugs, and some of us get more effect than others. If you can't resolve pain any other way then I suggest that you take the prescription in regularly spaced doses and let your body get used to it.

I absolutely cannot tolerate narcotic side effects, myself. There are a lot of 'natural' and relatively benign ways to deal with inflammation and pain that perhaps you can research to lessen the need for the pain meds. I know it's easier to just take a pill, but if the side effects are too much, as they are for me, there is a lot of info out there that often is very helpful. Such as feeding the nerves to help them calm down. And taking supplements that help calm inflammation. I use many different modalities to deal with my chronic pain. I always have it, but it's livable most of the time. If not then I dose with Motrin and it allows me to sleep. I don't use any one substance for long periods of time as I quickly get 'tolerance'. I have to change what I do for pain frequently.

Truly hope you can find what works for you!

Last edited by yayagirl; 01-17-2014 at 04:13 AM.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #13
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

For me Methadone was the worst, I would drench myself at the drop of a hat. Now with the pump the only problem time is after a shower, If I don't finish with a long cold rinse of my head it can take 45 minutes to cool down and stop sweating which kinda defeats the purpose of showering when you sweat for 45 minutes after. Seems the fastest way to cool down is cold water on your head. If the side effects outweigh the benefit I do think you should reconsider the benefit of the medication. Its always a trade off and you have to weigh the benefit Vs the side effects. I did recently see on TV, "this week" they are doing a clinical trial in my area for hyper hydrosis which is the clinical term we are talking about. You may want to investigate this in your area.
    Good luck, Dave

Closed Thread

Tags
    opiate addiction, pain, sweating