It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• I screwed up big time, with my doc.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
    AwkwardAsHell
    (male)

AwkwardAsHell HB User
    Angry I screwed up big time, with my doc.

I have Degenerative Disc Disease in my neck and I'm in pain all the time. I have been seeing my Pain Doctor every month for about 2 years.

Yesterday, she gave me a Urine test and said there was something "funny" in my urine.

I came clean with her and told her that a relative gave me some of their left over pain pills and I took them(about 5 or 6). Not all at once, I just took 2 to see if it made a difference in my pain. I feel so bad about it. I've never done anything like that before.

She said it was against her rules and she couldn't be my doctor anymore.
    She wrote me scripts for my meds, but only for half of the normal dose.

How do I deal with the pain, with only half my meds?

I know it's my fault, but I feel lost and depressed.

Any Advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
    Re: I screwed up big time, with my doc.

It's always best NOT to take someone else's medication and it would not be unusual for your Dr to pick you up on this.
    However I think she went over the top saying (She could no longer be your Dr) your word's...
    Why she would cut down your pain relief suprises me. I think you should register with another Dr in another practice ASAP.
    Perhaps where you come from there is some sort of hidden rule that she is sticking to,
    I hope you find another Dr and get your correct amount of medication,

Solofelix.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
    AwkwardAsHell
    (male)

AwkwardAsHell HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
    It's always best NOT to take someone else's medication and it would not be unusual for your Dr to pick you up on this.
    However I think she went over the top saying (She could no longer be your Dr) your word's...
    Why she would cut down your pain relief suprises me. I think you should register with another Dr in another practice ASAP.
    Perhaps where you come from there is some sort of hidden rule that she is sticking to,
    I hope you find another Dr and get your correct amount of medication,

Solofelix.
    Thanks for your reply Solofelix.

I know not to take someone else's meds. I just wasn't thinking and made a mistake. She did have a strict policy about meds. Luckily, I found another doctor and have an appointment August 1st. I'm going to tell him the truth about what happened and I hope he will accept me as a patient. I just hope the meds she gave will help me through the month.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
    SunnyGirl1970
    (female)

SunnyGirl1970 HB User

I think I messed up with my doc as well, but I don't know how. I was seeing a neurologist for headaches and neck pain which I have had for years but have never done anything about. After an MRI, the neurologist diagnosed me with OA. The arthritis medicine he prescribed, my insurance would not cover. So he gave me a scrip for pain medicine. I had to sign one of those contracts and he gave me a huge lecture on keeping the pills locked up so no one would steal it and sell on the streets. Doctors must be really paranoid about prescribing anything that could be abused or sold on the streets. I have had the prescription now for months and have taken the pain meds as prescribed and only when I was in severe pain. The doctor was supposed to refer me to a pain management doctor back in April. No one ever called me back with the referral. I can't get an appt. without a referral. I have tried calling over the past few months and have left messages, but no one will return my phone call. I have even gone to the office to talk to someone in person, but after waiting forever, no one ever came to the front desk. I finally talked to someone today and was told they could not refill my prescription and he won't see me again. I was also told they faxed in my referral over a month ago. But the pain mgmt. clinic they faxed it to is not on my insurance. I am so frustrated and constantly in pain. And now I am paranoid too, like they are avoiding me, like I am some kind of druggie.

The following user gives a hug of support to SunnyGirl1970:
    AwkwardAsHell (07-25-2013)
    Old 07-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
    lenvegas
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User

Hi, I am sorry for all the problems you are going through Sunny and Awkward. When I had my back problems I decided to go to a run of the mill GP family doctor who gave me exactly the pain meds I wanted. The only restriction was that he gave me a month at a time and I had ti see him every month to get another prescription..Simply take your medical records to a GP, it's really worth a shot. All the best......

Old 07-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
    AwkwardAsHell
    (male)

AwkwardAsHell HB User

I've been doing ok with only half my meds. I've been taking a bunch of Advil to compensate. I just hope my new doctor doesn't hold my mistake against me.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
    Tulip13
    (female)

Tulip13 HB User

How are you doing Awkard? I realize this post was old, but in case you read this, was hoping you'd have found a compassionate and forgiving doctor.

Closed Thread

Tags
    lies, pain meds