It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Mississippi Pain Management Doctors?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User
    Re: Mississippi Pain Management Doctors?

(cont'd from previous post)I won't go in depth about absorption issues, starvation ketosis, and all that other "fun stuff". Those were the good ole days, so to speak, prior to surgically induced menopause @ 33 with NO HRT ever, ever, ever...even bio-identical caused a flare post-surgery for stage 4 endometriosis. Yes, I've been treated with surgeries from my neck to my rectum and all points in between. The surgeries were necessary for my survival. I have tried various treatments and therapies throughout 2/3 of my "life". I have a resistance to even the meds for anesthesia for surgery. I have awakened mid-surgery during 2 procedures. The only pain med that eased the pain from top to bottom was a transdermal patch that my dear doctor found to "bypass" my gastric pouch, avoiding unbearable digestive issues caused by most pills. He left his practice @ 87 yrs. of age, I think. I've yet to find another doctor other than a new PCP, that I have no true "dialogue" with. He prescribes my anti-depressant, my anti-anxiety, my arthritis meds, and my anti-spasmodic for colon issues. He does not write prescriptions for anything stronger than Darvocet, and we all know how that went. He has sent me to an orthopedic with bone on bone pain. I can endure NO MORE surgery, so she has been limited to Synvisc in my knees. She sent me to neuro for epidural injections, without positive results (two separate series). He put me on Neurontin, Abilify, Lyrica, but again...My gastric anatomy will not function with most "pills". I could not function mentally, either, even with Cymbalta. I realize these drugs ARE A MIRACLE for some people who find relief with them. God bless the people they help...and there are millions. I'm just saying they didn't work for me, personally. I hope I've clarified some questions you have. As of the past few weeks, I'm trying once again to find the green side of the grass. I've been staring at the roots for way too long. I am actively seeking not a miracle worker, but a physician who says "maybe" I'm worth some quality of life through proper treatment of my pain.

Last edited by WhistleDixie; 09-08-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: too long

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #17
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User

No worries, dear lady. Your "green light" was on, so I thought maybe we'd chat. I'm okay. How's your day going?

Old 09-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #18
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

Phillies,

Thank you for your thoughts. I gave up and shut down my laptop...spent the rest of my night with "Wilfred" (the imaginary dog) and my binky. You asked about my Daily Journal. Yes, it's a site that I've found and I think you'll find helpful. I hope you'll take a LOOK. I'm afraid I spilled my "innards" (sic) in my previous post to WCS.
    I need a spot of tea to soothe my nerves. Gotta take 5!

Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

Again I apologize if this is a duplicate post. I'll try to keep my responses in order, but it's been a tough day. I had a call this morning from my mom's nursing home that she was being sent by ambulance to the ER. (She's going to be ok for now).

As some of you know, I'm researching my options for pain management. I think that the more I research, the more confused I am. Nothing out of "my" ordinary, but I was restless, sleepless, and pain-ridden late last night. I had already done all of my relaxation techniques, including my Daily Strength journal...which I'm now keeping a record of my pain, as suggested. I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly. I welcome the input of veteran posters, as I so appreciate your helpful tips.
    I have researched some AAPM&R physicians in MS. I will start calling them first thing Monday to further investigate the options. I get nauseated just thinking about the potential for rejection. I am such a PRIVATE person prior to finding this forum. This avenue of support and understanding is giving me the strength to speak out and ASK for help. In reading fellow posters' stories, trials and tribulations, I feel validated in my outcry for help. I will try to answer the questions each of you has asked. Feel free to check my posts on Daily Strength and on this forum. Perhaps some of your questions will be answered there. If not, ask again. I get "scattered" sometimes from one place to the next, "cut-off" from my ability to freely express my thoughts.
    Uh-oh, I'm rambling again...sorry. Focus....Focus....Focus...my mantra.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #20
    Pegala
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

You're doing a great job WhistleDixie. It sounds like you're on the right track to finding a good pm doctor so that you can get the much needed, much deserved relief from your pain.
    Good luck with your phone calls tomorrow. Please let us know how you do tomorrow.
    If you need anything else give a holler.
    Pegala

The following user gives a hug of support to Pegala:
    WhistleDixie (09-09-2013)
    Old 09-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #21
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

pegala,

Thanks so much for your encouraging words. I will keep y'all posted. I wish for you a restful night.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

Just wanted to touch base with y'all this morning. I spent the wee hours of the morning curled up in a knot, cramping and bawling my eyes out.
    Sunrise brought no relief...still a mess as noon approaches. I've managed to call 2 of the doctor's offices on my new list, but apparently their receptionists had a bad night, too. Where is kindness? Where is even a crumb of compassion? I know that it's abundant on this board, but where else? Lord help me, I'm trying. Hope y'all are having a better day.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #23
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

Phillies,

My Monday sucks...How about you? I'm feeling some better than I did before noon.
    I'm making calls to potential doctors for pain management. I've not been greeted with kindness and understanding. Most are pro-injections. Those don't work for me. Not much to laugh at, but I have to share this with you. Check it out...You got a "shout out" for being a Phillies fan on Daily Strength discussion/journal. There's a Yankees gal who finds it amusing that Phillies fan is MIA=) Still waiting for you to show up. It's free to sign up and LOOK. There are priceless information/resources that can be helpful to you. I thought you would have taken a look by now. Not for nothing, but I just felt like sharing. Another poster phrased how he was feeling as "a crazy mess of hurt". Ditto. I wish I were blessed with a pain doctor that was recommended by someone I trust. I don't like this "cold-calling". I have financial challenges that make fruitless trips/doctors visits a "no can do". I do not have the resources. I do not have anyone to randomly take off work to drive the long trips/ distances with me on a "hunch". I need a legit reference from someone whose experienced success with their doctor.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
    PhilliesFan20
    (female)

PhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB User

WhistleDixie, thank you for asking about my health. I'm doing fairly well. I am lucky that my pain management plan keeps things tolerable. I am sorry your day is not going well.

I know it's super frustrating but keep calling. It beats traveling to a doctor and then finding out they can't help. Really all you need to ask the receptionist is if the doctor does injections or do they prescribe medication. Maybe add that your previous pain management doctor retired and you need a new one. That makes it less likely the receptionist may think you are a drug-seeker. The answer to that question (injections or medicine) is all the basic info you need to decide whether or not to make an appointment. If the answer is "injections only," be sure to ask if they have a referral. Often they can't give you one, but occasionally they might.

I may have missed this, but if you haven't as yet, you may wish to contact professional associations for doctors specializing in pain management. They may be able to direct you to local resources.

Don't get me started on Yankee fans :-) I take my baseball very seriously!

The following user gives a hug of support to PhilliesFan20:
    WhistleDixie (09-09-2013)
    Old 09-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #25
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

Indeed...my husband feels that way about his football. He's still not over his Giants losing last night. I am making calls between trips to the toilet all day. (TMI) Wish me luck.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #26
    Pegala
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Quick question. Are the receptionists saying why their doctor can't help you?
    Pegala

Old 09-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #27
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi Pegala,

The doctor closest in proximity to me requires a referral from my physician AND a recent MRI/CT (less than 5 years). My last MRI was in 2007, I think. One doctor is Egyptian, dividing his practice between the states and Egypt...gone 5 months out of the year. ( I fear that because I had to experience withdrawals from the Duragesic patch when my last doctor retired. I cannot "start" again, to find myself without refills, going into cold turkey withdrawal) Two of the PM&R offices are not taking new patients..."check back in November" or "first of new year". For heaven's sake I'm not booking a venue for a celebration...I need help now. The 5th and 6th offices I called do injection-type procedures only i.e. epidurals, facets, radial frequency (sic). I've had the injections over the years (cervical and lumbar) without positive results. I will not knowingly allow another needle to enter my spine. That's simply my personal opinion...my body...my choice. I know these procedures are beyond effective and even life-saving for many. Godspeed, but not for me. The radial frequency (sic?) scares the bleep out of me. I cannot allow my body (or what's left of it) to be further incised, injected, manipulated, or violated by any other invasive means for the sake of science =( After much thought, experience, and research, I would prefer to "live" what's left of it well-medicated. I would not wish my suffering on an armadillo, Weezer=)

Last edited by WhistleDixie; 09-09-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: grammar

Old 09-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #28
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pegala View Post
    Quick question. Are the receptionists saying why their doctor can't help you?
    Pegala
    Thanks, Pegala...Sorry for the delay in response. We are actually getting a downpour of rain--hallelujah--within the past hour. That helps the landscape but wreaks havoc on our wireless. I shall not complain. Lord knows we are desperate down here for the rain.

I've tried in a separate post to answer your "receptionist" question. I welcome your thoughts. Hope you're having a good evening.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #29
    Pegala
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I've tried in a separate post to answer your "receptionist" question. I welcome your thoughts. Hope you're having a good evening.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your quick response, Whistle Dixie. Where can I find the other post?
    I hope you're having a better night tonight. I know that you're going through a rough spell. Remember, there's always a light at the end of a tunnel.
    Pegala

Old 09-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #30
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

Pegala,

It's the 8:06 response to you, specifically, on this thread. I keep hoping for that "light", despite the locomotive tracks on my backside. Thanks for your well wishes.

Closed Thread