It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Percocet ~v~ Methadone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
    AngelinPain
    (female)

AngelinPain HB User
    Question Percocet ~v~ Methadone

Hello,
    My first post so be sensitive please I am a 51 year old woman who spent 25+ years in the construction industry. Not in the office. I worked in the field pouring concrete and jack-hammering. For my efforts my spine is shot! My doc say"s degenerative disc disease with fermaral(sp?) stenosis. I have four herniated discs L4,L5,S1 and C4+5. I have now developed what he says is a nuralgia in my entire left flank from shoulder to hip. This nuralgia is a nerve that is not happy being obstructed somewhere in my spine. My doctor has me on 4/X a day 5/325 Oxycodone, Up to 90mgs of Cymbalta, and 200mg"s of Tegretol 3X a day and nothing is touching the pain! He is now suggesting Methadone!! And it scares the hell out of me!! I am of a generation that correlates Methadone with severe addiction! I don't want to develop an addiction to such a severe drug. I'm afraid that in the economic position this has put me in that my medical insurance will me yanked out from under me and I will be stuck with going through withdrawals and back to my severe pain with no recourse. My question is first, Is anyone taking Methadone at this time and can tell me how it makes you feel? Has anyone gone through the withdrawals of methadone? How horrible is it? Do you think I'll be on it forever? I'm no addict!! and I don't want my doctor making me one in an effort to live pain free. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank-You

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
    lenvegas
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
    Re: Percocet ~v~ Methadone

Hi, yes Methadone is a serious drug and should be only considered as a last resort. The downside is it is very addicting and very difficult if not impossible to get off of so more likely you would be on it the rest of your life. Many users often experience serious constipation with Methadone but it is likely you have experienced this with the current drugs you are on now. Yes, Methadone is used by drug addicts but also many non addicts use it for control of pain. The usual dose for pain control is 60mg to 80 mg a day and the dose for addiction control can go all the way up to 400mg per day so you see that the pain control dose is at the lower end of the dosage spectrum. Now, if you lose your insurance the Methadone can be obtained through Methadone clinics inexpensively on a weekly basis. Methadone will not give you a high but many users especially in the beginning will experience a nod off somewhat shortly after ingestion. Hope this answers some of your concerns.......Take care

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lenvegas For This Useful Post:
    AngelinPain (11-29-2013),ferd144 (11-29-2013)
    Old 11-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
    galalena
    Inactive
    (female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

I am at a similar age, have advanced degrees and professional occupations my entire adult life. Never took a prescription pain med until an accident 4 years ago, which led to several failed surgeries and now disability. I went to the first pain doc and had the usual cycle of every nonnarcotic until i ended up in oxycontin, then opana, with percocet for BT. After another couple surgeries, i went to another pain doc who is affiliated with a major university. When he knew the pain was here to stay, he suggested methadone. I heard the same stories, but figured he was my doctor. Granted I am not a long term pain patient, and can function, ie, get off the couch and out of bed. I started on 2.5 mg four times a day and now take 5 mg three times a day. Does it help? Yes. Does it make me a zombie? No. Does it make me a drug crazed menace to society? I don't think so. I am not constipated. I am not dozing off in the middle of conversations. I get no high or euphoria or burst of energy. In fact, no one can tell I am taking anything. It does not go through insurance since it is less than $20 a month. I am pretty sure I am not going to die of horrid withdrawal if/ when i decide to stop it or go to something else.
    There is a lot of misinformation about just about every drug out there. And, any of them will have withdrawal symptoms if stopped suddenly or too quickly.
    I would suggest never comparing dosages to what anyone else takes. Everyone is different with their own story, tolerances and chemistry. Methadone is a narcotic just like the rest of them with pros and cons, just like the rest of them.
    Good luck, and hopefully you have a good doc you can trust. People will have horror stories about anything.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to galalena For This Useful Post:
    AngelinPain (11-29-2013),ferd144 (11-29-2013)
    Old 11-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
    AngelinPain
    (female)

AngelinPain HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Percocet ~v~ Methadone

Thank~You for your advice.

Last edited by AngelinPain; 11-28-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
    AngelinPain
    (female)

AngelinPain HB User

Thank~You for your advice

Old 11-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
    BB07
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

Galalena is pretty much on the money-in fact Methadone has been discussed here more times than I care to comment anymore.

If you do a search you can read about many stories about folks' experiences with methadone-pretty much all/any of your questions and concerns are covered in detail by a lot of CPP's.

Good Luck,

Old 12-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
    AngelinPain
    (female)

AngelinPain HB User

Hello, What do you mean around here? I can not help but notice your tag of the American Flag, so forgive me if I am wrong but i wonder if you are not a Military Veteran? My daughter is also a Veteran and I have discussed this with her and she has told me that they use it a lot at her V.A. Hospital. Mostly for "extreme pain". I am maintaining although in a constant state of pain, It has not driven me to the ER,,,Yet,,,,I have had my days where it was a definite thought but I knocked myself out with the pain pills. The Tegretol knocks me out. I have little tolerance for heavy medications. But this is no way to live either. I use to be so active and now finally my children are grown my health goes south. Sorry,,,This is needles to say very aggravating for me. But,,anyway,,,Back to the subject. I think I am going to try a second opinion and I'm going to look into a lesser invasive medication than methadone. There has got to be something else to try before we make such a drastic jump. My insurance is changing and I will have that option now! Thankfully. Thanks for all your"s advice I do appreciate it.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
    loveyou90
    Inactive
    (female)

loveyou90 HB User

Hi,
    I was in the accident in '07. I've been taking Percocet since then. Some days it's help and other days it doesn't. I get 3 months of prescription (get them fill every month). I ran out of those pills faster before the month is up. I do not giving them always or anything. I take it every 6 hours as prescribe. Now I don't have any Percocet and I have to see my Dr. (because it Narcotic med). I may ask him to increase the dosage. I not get much relieve. I currently taking 7.5/325 mg.
    What is a methadone? what does it do? Just curious.

loveyou90

Closed Thread