It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• question on fentanyl patch

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
    kenb63
    (male)

kenb63 HB User
    question on fentanyl patch

I went to dr as follow up to awful experience with facet injection. We decided no more injections. He gave me 12.5 fentanyl patch and another script for norco 10mg every 6 hours. I put the patch on yesterday around 9am and really felt nothing. I woke up at 5 am vomiting, awful headache, and sweating terrible. i removed the patch as i was scared it was making me sick. i have read some stories about it and i really dont think i am going to use them. my script for the norco i left at walgreens as well an the pharmacist said she couldnt fill until Saturday (1/25) I told her the dr changed my dosing so i guess based on the insurance i have they cant fill until then. I am going to pick up on Saturday but has anyone ever had this issue and were you ever able to just pay cash for it. This is so annoying and really inconvenient, I am going to call the drs office on monday and tell them i am not going to use the patch. does anyone have any success with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
    Miched
    (female)

Miched HB User
    Re: question on fentanyl patch

I have been on the fentanyl patch also for about 6 months, first I was on 12.5 then 25ml now 50ml and honestly it does nothing for me... the thing I do notice when it is time to change the patch when it starts wearing off I really start sweating and I feel like I have the flu.... the only thing that has helped me with pain in percocets... and lots of them... sometimes up to 6 in a 4 hour period.... I hate it... I am having a nerve block done next week uggghhh it scares. What is your pain from?

Old 01-25-2014, 03:49 AM   #3
    karlee10
    (female)

karlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB User
    Smile Re: question on fentanyl patch

Hi. Nice to meet you. Yes. I'm taking the Fentanyl Patch, and also the Norco 10's for breakthru pain. I started out at 12.5, just like you are and it didn't help me with pain much at all. My PM Dr. adjusted me up and up over this past year and right now I'm at 100 mlg. This strength is already starting to not last clear thru the whole 3 days (after the 3rd month) so at my next visit I'm going to tell my PM Dr. It's taken me alot of patience and adjusting (but I am the patient. Haha) I am sticking with it tho because when it's working well for me, it helps alot. I suggest you talk to your Dr. about it soon as you can, I have a pretty good PM Dr. and he's worked well with me I feel. It may not sound alot like it by all this adjusting, lol, but that seems to be pretty much how this pain management thing is to me so far. It can be frustrating alot of times. You shouldn't be throwing up on the 3rd day though. I also don't find much relief on the 3rd day, but I'm not to the point of throwing up. So, yes, definitely tell your Dr. about that, call him the next working day, or if you need too, you might need to go to the ER about that. I am not a Dr. tho, so I don't want to give you wrong advice. In fact, I only have my own experience to share. Read your Fentanyl package info from your pharmacy, that's always important to read. (and alot of tiny print, huh?) Tomorrow you can get your Norco's (the 25th, right?) so, don't forget. Ha. Like you might forget that, right? Lol. Well, please let us know how you're doing this weekend, we are a pretty good supportive site to be a part of! Hope you're feeling alot better tomorrow! Karlee.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:01 AM   #4
    karlee10
    (female)

karlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB User

Hi again. Oops. I forgot to tell you about my insurance. On my own particular insurance I'm not allowed to pay cash ever for my pain meds now because they figure if I can pay cash for them, then I just should all the time. Lol. I guess that makes sense really, but, I don't like the rule. So, most likely all insurances are different there, but, for me, I don't have the option as of Jan. 1st, 2014. You just have to try to "roll with the punches" alot of times on this pain management, pharmacy, and insurance roller coaster we seem to have gotten on. Lol. Well, mine's kinda been that way since I started this journey. In my own experience, the more upset I allow myself to get on any of this, the harder I've just made it on myself and people who live with me, and this has been a rough week for me. It's sure nice to be able to post again now though! I just had to buy a new keyboard yesterday. I spilled coffee on my last one a couple weeks ago! I don't suggest that. Ever. Haha. Ok I hope I was able to share something that helped you some. Karlee.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:30 AM   #5
    kenb63
    (male)

kenb63 HB User

i put another patch on later in the day as the first one i took off when i couldnt stop throwing up. I felt horrible all day yesterday. i woke up this morning feeling ok but i am now out of my norco as i was changed on my frequency due to the facet injection pain. i feel no relief from this patch and honestly i have read so many things about it that scare me. i will call my dr on monday. I am hoping that the pharmacist was right when she said i can pick up my norco today. she said it twice after she put in the computer but i notice that the status hasnt changed yet on their website ( they dont open until 9am) I hate feelinng this way about getting my medication but really would like some relief. The throwing up yesterday has made my body ache even more.i am also covered under my wifes insurance so i wonder if they wont allow under mine will i be able to put under that if there is an issue?

Old 01-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
    karlee10
    (female)

Hi again. Well, I really don't have any idea about that at all, Ken. I am barely able to figure out my own insurance and prescriptions each month, with all this adjusting. Lol. I really hope all goes well for you this weekend, and possibly someone else can help you with your other question from their experience. Hope you feel better. Karlee.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Sounds like you many not be able to tolerate the Fentanyl. You're quite brave to try again! It is likely that its not so much the insurance, but that your last script was supposed to last X number of days based on the dose on it, so they see it as you were refilling it early (even though its a new script). However, if your dose or quantity changes, your doctor should write that on the script, and they should allow you to fill it right away. You can request your doctor notes this on the script actually, and they should have no problem. Just say you had an issue in the past.

If its a different pain med or a different dose (mg) pill, its usually no problem to fill "early", even without a note on the script (or them calling the doctor), but if they increase the quantity for example and had you taking the higher dose so you "ran out" early, but then give you a new script early, it can require contact between the doctor and pharmacy.

Sounds like that is likely what happened. I've had it before too. The pharmacist should have gone further into the conversation if you said anything about a dose change though. So no, its unlikely you could pay cash or use a different insurance or even a different pharmacy (as it will be in a system that any pharmacy can see). Definitely request they call your doctor if that happens again (or if you can't fill it Sat or Sun).

This is a good reason not to have pain management doctor appointments Friday afternoon for example, so your doctor's office will still be open when you fill your scripts. Also, don't be afraid to nicely/calmly ask your pharmacist to explain if you don't understand why they are doing something. If they had been able to reach your doctor, you should have been able to fill that Norco script right away.

I hope you were able to get the Norco today so you have something. Are you dependent on them so you were having withdrawal too, or just the pain? If you were in withdrawal as you couldn't tolerate the Fentanyl and couldn't get the Norco, then I personally think that is enough of an emergency to call the on call or emergency number for your doctor.

Otherwise, yes I'd agree to just call on Monday. Sorry you are going through this. It happens sometimes that we just don't tolerate a medication. Fentanyl is one of the ones I have heard of folks having violent reactions like that. Its a good med for a lot of people though. Any better luck the second time around?

Another thought while we're on the topic is to ask your doctor to have a nausea med on hand if you are going to be trying any new pain medication, or any medication for that fact, as it is a common side effect. That way you would have something to take until the dose wore off, or you could consider continuing the med and taking the anti nausea med for a few days and see if the nausea went away. There have been several times I was really glad to have some on hand. Best wishes.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:25 AM   #8
    kenb63
    (male)

kenb63 HB User

i was able to pick up the norco yesterday,, what a relief. I took the other patch off as i was starting to feel nausea again and a headache. i am taking the pain meds every 4-6 hours and still feel pretty awful. I will call dr tomorrow as he said to give him a call if any issues with the fentanyl. i was going to ask him to just keep me on the norco and write another script for more ( he gave me 60 for breakthrough pain) or see if he has any other ideas for long acting pain meds. thank you everyone for your help

Old 01-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
    BB07
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

Hi Kenb63-

about the fentanyl patch, I don't think you had it on long enough plus the fact you are only at 12.5mcg-your Norco would be stronger, simply because you were taking a lot of it n for sometime now so your body/system has become dependant and you would get very sick if you stop it abruptly(aka withdrawal). Now it is possible that fent does not agree with you-but It sounds more like you were in withdrawal from being w/o the Norco, imho.

Also, it is flu season and you could have caught a bug. All of these are possible. Give the fentanyl a fair chance as you may find real relief in it. I use it too, and I get great relief-sure I have some problems with them sticking sometimes-but the relief I get is worth the occasional trouble=in my opinion, the benefits I get of pain relief out weigh anything else. I am on the 100mcg and change it every 48 hours.

I found it was not lasting the 72 hours, after several months I was sure, and my doc said try changing them at 48 instead of 72hrs and it works well for me. I use oxy/apap 10/325 for bt= works better for me than hydrocodone. But that's how it is-trial and error.

When you first start the fentanyl patch it can take up to the 2nd to 3rd patch for it to build up in your system-and you were taking a lot of Norco 10, then ran out-and you got sick-at same time you put a 12.5 patch on and woke up early the next am vomiting-I just think it was you are on a very low dose of fentanyl and a high dose of Norco and you were in WD at the time you were wearing your first patch-and like I said, they don't work that fast, and I don't think 12.5 would effect you that way after being on the Norco at the dose and frequency you are on=but I certainly could be wrong.

Once you feel better-try the patch and let it work, only use the Norco for the bad pain, when the patch starts to work, it is not like the Norco-you wont feel it, you will feel less pain and believe me it is H E A V E N when that god-awful bone chilling pain quells.

When the patch is in your system and working well you will know it, and not need to take the Norco as often at all-you are going thru adjustment period with the patch-should you decide to give it a real chance-and I suspect 12.5 will not help you at that low dose, but your doc will adj it slowly, seeing how it agrees with you-or not-and you will know when your at an acceptable dose because you will experience less pain.

Now, as you have heard or already know-the same medicine can as does affect everyone differently-One thing I like about the patch is I can count on it, and don't have to count pills or watch the clock to see when I can take another because that's how it is with short acting narcotic medicine-they don't last long.

If the fentanyl patch works out for you-you are going to love the relief-and you will still have the Norco on hand for bt pain.

Don't read to much into the horror fentanyl stories-most bad thing happen when people abuse them-they are no more dangerous than any other powerful narcotic medicine when used as directed.

Kenb63, I hope you feel better, and if you don't like the patch, I hope you find the long acting med that does agree with you.

good luck.

Last edited by BB07; 01-26-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
    kenb63
    (male)

kenb63 HB User

Thanks for your info. I was still taking the Norco the day I got sick some don't think it was withdrawal. I ran out right before I picked up my medications from pharmacy. I am going to call doctor TOMORROW and see what to so. I had bad nausea from Percocet and that is why he put me on fentanyl as I think he may have wanted to try oxy? or something like it. I did try a second patch and felt no relief from pain and started to feel nausea. I just want to feel better at this point and not spend my weekends in bed.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #11
    LadyBassPlayer
    Inactive
    (female)

LadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB User

Hi Ken,
    Just chiming in to say that BB07 said just about everything I was going to say as I was reading down the posts...I spent 7 years on Fentanyl patches, so have some experience with them. They can be a very good med and ROA (route of administration) for chronic pain, but as BB warned, they can be as much a problem as any other very strong narcotic if not used properly. So, if you do end up on the patches, just be careful as you would with any other opiate. Best wishes and God bless.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #12
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi kenb, I am prescribed & wearing the fent patch for 13 years & have had various bt meds over the years & intermittently i get nausea from any & all opiates & my dr told me its a common side effect & gave me medicine for nausea, zofran, that i dont even need once a month but when i need them i need them. From what you have said it seems like the dr is trying to change you over to a long acting medicine but with the nausea already excluding oxycodone & now possibly fentanyl, if i were you i would ask the dr tomorrow for an anti nausea medicine to see if it could possibly make more long acting & short acting narcotics able to be given a trial especially since the norco has had to be increased & there is no long acting hydrocodone that i am aware of & from what i understood from my dr nausea is a side effect & side effects are treated symptomatically,i.e.an antihistamine for itching or rx for nausea, & the narcotic is not excluded because its not considered an allergic reaction unless the side effects cant be relieved & then the side effects would outweigh the benefits & then the medicine is excluded like an allergic reaction. I would have had a very, very long list of drug allergies & a very short list of medicines i could take if the dr didnt treat my nausea with prescription medicine. I tried promethezine, phenergan at first & it worked but then started causing my heart to race & otc motion sickness medicine with the active ingredient meclizine works a little but zofran generic ondansetron really helps beat the occasiona nausea side effect from opiates. I hope the dr will try treating the nausea & find the right narcotic & dosage, it can take some trial & error time, so
    you will finally get some relief!

Last edited by gmak; 01-26-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:25 PM   #13
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User

I am following your thread, Ken, and hoping to get some positive feedback on your Fentanyl patch. Are you feeling better now? I used that same patch in 2005. It was the only time in say...30+ years that I felt somewhat well.

I am seeing PM doctor for consult tomorrow. I welcome information regarding the patch. I'd even like to know if there is a generic form. How expensive is it? The suggestion to you to have nausea meds handy is on point. I hope you get things balanced out and start to feel better. I've tried to message BB07 and you, but I'm unable to do so. DO HOPE you feel better SOON=)

Old 01-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #14
    galalena
    Inactive
    (female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

Best wishes tomorrow.

The Following User Says Thank You to galalena For This Useful Post:
    WhistleDixie (01-28-2014)
    Old 01-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #15
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

WhistleDixie: Yes there are several generic fentanyl patch options. It is rather pricey, but still less than many of the long acting med options, as many are brand only. There really aren't any cheap long acting meds besides Methadone...they are all at least a several hundred dollars a month cash, and very dose & quantity dependent. Best wishes.

Last edited by tortoisegirl; 01-27-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Closed Thread