It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• METHADONE for PM?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #46
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
    Re: METHADONE for PM?

Hi dixie, Did the benadryl help the itching last night, how is your skin now & how are you doing in the pain relief department, does it help one area more than another i.e. helps your back more than your knees or helps abdominal pain but not your back & does it relieve nerve pain? How many days has it been since starting the methadone? Hoping & praying that you are better & the side effects are waning!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2014, 04:41 AM   #47
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User

Hello everyone. I have begun to regain consciousness in the past several days. I've been basically MIA on HB as I've been trying to adjust to Methadone for pain management. Although I made it through 3 weeks of agonizing side effects, I had to call my PM doctor to bump my appointment to the 2/19 versus 2/24. I've now stopped the Methadone and started Morphine ER 15 mg 2x day. I don't have anything to report yet with efficacy of med. As expected, initial drowsiness and some gastric issues that I'm trying to work through. Only time will tell, but I am hopeful. That hope is a result of finally finding a doctor who seems to understand the idiosyncracies (sic) of my digestive system and the challenge I present in pain management. (a pain med is no value to my body if it causes debilitating issues with my gastric pouch). He STILL really wants me on the Fentanyl patch to avoid those issues. I am grateful for that door remaining OPEN for me, but choose (for now) to try the Morphine. I will keep you posted. And, of course, your thoughts and input are welcome and invaluable to me. I'm having a super duper difficult time, physically and emotionally.

I received the dreaded call from my mom's living facility last Saturday, saying that she was "non-responsive". My husband drove (flew) me down there, arriving before the ambulance left with her. I forced my way into the ambulance with her, holding her face and BEGGING her to wake up...to come back to me. She had gone into a diabetic coma, and was for all intense purposes, "dead" with a pulse. I rode in the ambulance with her to the hospital and my husband followed. We spent several hours in the ER, before she was finally stabilized and showing signs of improvement. She was released back to the facility that night. It was a CLOSE CALL. She will be 88 in May, so I know her time on earth is limited. I accept that. I suppose it hit me SO hard because I've been in such a DARK place while taking the Methadone. I was feeling very vulnerable and hopeless before the call came. I returned home by 2:00 the next morning and just crashed into my bed. I did not wake up for 16 hours!

On Monday, I had to face the fact that I have to prepare for her death and burial, as I can no longer delude myself that she will live indefinitely. I approached this task in the same manner that I approach any project and gave myself a deadline. It is done as of 5:00 Friday. I have mixed emotions, which I realize are normal. I saw DEATH in her eyes last Saturday, the same DEATH I saw back in May, while she was in the throws of a heart attack. I'm dealing with a whirlwind of emotions, while dealing with the "mind/body Olympics" of newly established PM.

Ironically, I just fell asleep with my fingers on my laptop. My finger was on the ZZZZZZZZ...ha. I think "there's my sign". I need to get some sleep. I'll quietly ease into bed with my husband and pretend I was there all night...not arriving @6:38 a.m. Y'all have the best day possible. That's the best we can hope for=) Thank you all so much for listening=)

Last edited by WhistleDixie; 02-22-2014 at 04:43 AM.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #48
    LadyBassPlayer
    Inactive
    (female)

LadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB User

Dear WDixie ...
    Oh, I am so sorry that you have had such a hard time recently...with the Methadone, and this latest close call with your mom. Without going too far outside the thread, let me just say that I can empathize with losing a parent(s). I was very close to my mother-in-law and the last to see her awake, and same with my own father years ago....lung cancer took him....and then my father-in-law who 2 years ago died at 4 mo over 100 years old! and was saved at 97....anyway, I feel for you very much. I hope and pray that you will have the emotional, physical, and spiritual strength to deal with this all now, and when the time comes for her passing.
    As to the pain meds I just want to tell you that I am having good success with buprenorphine, the opiate part of Suboxone, for my fibromyalgia. I don't remember (or never knew) your chronic pain issues, but if you have fibro this may be something to consider. Pms probably won't think of Suboxone right away, as right now in the US it is FDA approved for opiate withdrawal, but in Europe and Canada it has been used for years to treat neuropathic pain. I think of it for you because you dissolve it under your tongue, so no stomach issues. If you want more info, I can tell you what I know and you could ask your pm (if you have fm or some other neuropathic pain ).
    I wish I could do something for you in real life...give a hug, help with meals and housework, etc during this tough time, but I can just wish you God's blessings and an empathetic ear in this setting.
    All the best to you!

Last edited by LadyBassPlayer; 02-22-2014 at 09:01 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to LadyBassPlayer For This Useful Post:
    WhistleDixie (02-22-2014)
    Old 02-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #49
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Sorry you've been struggling WhistleDixie. I hope you have success with the Morphine ER. It can take some time in pain management to make progress, but eachThere is definitely a lot of room for dose increase as well as switching from twice a day to three times a day. How is the cost of that one for you? Keep in mind the cost may go up a lot as the dose or quantity goes up though.

Definitely get a price quote on the fentanyl patches if you haven't already done so, then you can at least have a more informed conversation with your doctor on whether it is really an option or not. I agree that trying medications from lower to higher price is a good idea though.

If price wasn't an issue I would also suggest Suboxone (or Butrans patch), but its expensive, and also isn't too commonly prescribed in pain management yet, although its increasing popularity. I imagine it took a lot for you to manage to give the methadone that three week trial. Best wishes.

The following user gives a hug of support to tortoisegirl:
    WhistleDixie (02-23-2014)
    Old 02-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #50
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi dixie, Im sorry that you had to go through such a horrid experience but so thankful that your mom is better! I am just assuming the goal you had done by five o'clock friday afternoon was making service arrangements for your mom, you poor thing thats too hard on anyone & i hope her diabetic treatment has been adjusted so that she may live well for a long time! Hoping the med change from the PM dr works well for pain relief & is tolerated by your tummy with no problems!
    When i first married i lived far away from my parents & when we left or when they left after visiting i would cry my eyes out & one time i thought why am i wasting tears worrying & imagining the worst when i still have them? It seemed like such a waste of being happy so i decided i wouldnt shed one tear in sadness while i still had them & this was when i was 27, my dad died extremely suddenly without illness 3 Christmases ago & i was devastated & was about to lose it then remembered i had to be ok for my mom, now she is 81 & i still do this, i try to be grateful that i still have her & not cry or imagine the worst because my wild imagination is vivid & doesnt help me at all. Just thought maybe if i shared this it might help you in some small way.Take good care & bless you!

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
    WhistleDixie (02-23-2014)
    Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #51
    galalena
    Inactive
    (female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

I am sorry you are still suffering so much WD, and the methadone as a disaster for you. Everyone is different. I have not had a lot of experience, and it is fine for me, but again, everyone is different.

I started counseling a couple months ago as this past holiday season was so horrible, I really wanted to die. My accident was in Aug 2009, I lost my only son when he married two years ago and after that day, never spoke to us again. My father died after a very difficult time with cancer and broken hip on July 9, 2012, 7 weeks after my fifth surgery and total shoulder replacement. My father in law died july 10, 2012, 24 hours later. Their funerals overlapped. My shoulder replacement failed that summer too, and i had the salvage reverse replacement in March 2013. My mother died in April, 2013, 7 weeks later. I was in agony then with intraoperative fractures. I had to retire from my profession - i worked like a dog to get tenure at a university, and it is all lost now. Well, i did get disability, both private and SSDI, that is how bad my condition is.

So, i do get it, and understand! I am really trying to dig out of this hole. My pain relief is minimal, but i am not going to fight it. Sometimes i really want to die though and just be gone. My therapist asked me, so, what have you lost? Hmmm, all i could say was 60 pounds! Plus my son, my father, my mother, my job, my profession, my passion (horse riding), my good health.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:00 AM   #52
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User

Hello everyone...I'm sorry I've been MIA for a while. I hope that soon I'll be back on HB trying to "pay forward" the kindness and support shown to me. I will say again what applies to us all...We cannot meditate so long upon what we have lost, that we fail to celebrate what we have "left" (as in our ability to remain upright and mobile, though painful, and our ability to communicate, whether in conversation, or cyberspace...most of all, our ability to reach out a helping hand to others who are also suffering).

LBP, I have been following your posts and have stated how happy I am for your success in facing/overcoming your issues. I'm even more elated that your new method of treatment is addressing your pain. I thank you for sharing with me. I am sorry, too for your loss of loved ones. I smiled when you said you wish you could physically help me...what a dear sweet lady you are. It would be so nice just to sit and talk over a cup of tea or coffee. Although I have 3 sisters, sadly...we are not close. I reach out but it's not reciprocated. I am thankful for the love and support of my husband, but I long for that "sister" relationship.

TGirl...I so appreciate your thoughts and helpful insight provided as I adjust to new "normal" through PM. Yes, I am concerned that the 15 mg 2xday is not providing expected relief yet. I'm trying to be patient and give it some time, as the PM doc said to do. This has been a SLEEPY weekend, but I can't blame it all on the Morphine. My husband says my body/mind is exhausted from not just these past weeks, but a lifetime of chaos and crisis. touché You asked about the price of generic Morphine ER. It was $42 for 60 pills=)

Gmak...Thank you, always, for your caring and support. I read in Saturday's posts that you had a bad day for pain and had to miss a family event. I so hope that today is much better for you. Yes, I completed the pre-arrangement of my mother's funeral. I am the youngest of 6, but the "only" child who gets things taken care of. By nature, I am not a procrastinator. Our relationship with our mom was extremely abusive (mentally/physically) throughout our childhood and continues "verbally" to this day. I am concerned for her salvation and have tried to witness to her. Her eternal life is paramount to me, as I know she has lived a long life here on this earth on HER OWN TERMS. I try to make my relationship with her such that I will not look back in regret of what I "didn't do" for her while I still could.

galalena...I AM SORRY YOU"VE ENDURED SO MUCH LOSS in your life. Your physical injury, subsequent surgeries, pain and suffering make coping with your loss of loved ones so much more difficult. I know that you've said your son's wife keeps him from your family unit. I am so sorry for that also. Therapy should be helpful to you to learn to cope with your "new normal". Sometimes we need someone "detached" from it all to help us make sense of it all. Let's face it...most times we can't make sense out of nonsense. I think family issues are the hardest. I know that you pray for your son's return to the fold and perhaps he will in due time. Until then I pray that you will find a peace about it.

Ultimately, I believe that all of us (who suffer with the physical/emotional effects of pain and suffering that will not be cured) can find comfort through the love and support offered on these boards. Life isn't what we planned...but it rarely is, right?

Closed Thread

Tags
    chronic pain, endometriosis, pain management, womens health