It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Anybody use Zohydro yet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
    freddy0303
    (male)

freddy0303 HB Userfreddy0303 HB User
    Anybody use Zohydro yet

Has anybody used the new medication called Zohydro yet? It was just made available the beginning of this month..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
    PhilliesFan20
    (female)

PhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB User
    Re: Anybody use Zohydro yet

My understanding is pharmacies are not yet carrying it, and may not for some time. Although the FDA approved the medication (long acting, single ingredient hydrocodone), there is still ongoing debate as to whether it should be used or is just another narcotic ripe for abuse.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
    pianoman2
    Inactive
    (male)

pianoman2 HB User

My regular pharmacist couldn't order them.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-01-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:42 AM   #4
    ncmommakat
    (female)

ncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB User

Any narcotic can be abused. So if that is really what is holding it up, they are making excuses, my opinion anyway. I am so tired of FDA DEA whoever making excuses about abuse to keep honest pain sufferers suffering. They change the formula, make medications hard to obtain because of limits on manufacturing, and other issues.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
    BB07
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

I too am really tired and fed up with FDA DEA worrying more about addict abuse.

They put that way above people like us who actually would benefit and allow us to be more functional-I'd like to see the "powers" that make all the decisions wake up one day and find themselves in chronic pain situation.

They don't realize how mentally and physically how draining chronic pain is and sucks your will to live right out of you.

Call me an addict. Call me weak. Call me whatever. Just don't deny me the right to have my severe chronic pain controlled the best way available with quality pain medication that isn't ruined by all the "reformulation".

They don't take these "reformulated" drugs and insist they are just as effective as they were as prior to reformulation.

Well I am hear to attest the reformulation has ruined many good/effective pain medicines. They either don't care or really believe reformulation to make narcotic pain medicine "abuse proof" has not affected the quality/effectiveness.

I was doing so well on Oxycontin, it helped me function when I believed there was no pain medicine that could. This drug got me out of bed and walking, getting me out of the house-it gave me hope. Until it became so famous among addicts and people who had no business in the first place-obtained it through illegal means. So they "reformulated" it and pretty much rendered it useless. Even the addicts know this and that's why it is no longer popular with addicts.

They(manufacturers)claim it is just as effective, just cannot be injected/sniffed,etc., but they don't take it for debilitating pain so how would they know? Oh that's right their lab/scientifics say so.

But we know that us untrue. They ruined a good pain medicine for the "safety' of addicts.

No one seems to care about the quality of pain relief amongst true chronic pain sufferers. If you take a powerful narcotic just for "kicks" then you have made a choice, a very dangerous choice, and that is on you.

I personally don't care about those who OD on powerful pain medications they have no business fooling with because they know it is not candy, though addicts treat them like they are.

Who suffers the most? Chronic pain patients. Addicts will just use Heroin,etc. no matter to them.

CP's have to continually seek out whatelse will work best, because for some of us we have exhausted all avenues and are on pain medications as a last resort.

I don't think Zohydro would be good for me because hydrocodone does not help for type of pain I deal with.

For those that do well on Hydro should not have any problems/red tape getting it if their doctor feels they would benefit from it. But I fear it will get into the wrong hands again creating another "epidemic". Sadly, the CP folks using this medicine and having great success with pain relief because of it(zohydro) will be swept under the rug. Again.

Who will it affect the most when this happens?

those who are CP or suffering from other painful diseases/conditions, etc., will not even be of concern if this medicine gets into the "wrong hands"

Obtaining these types of serious narcotic medications without a proper prescription and documentation of medical necessity is a CRIME-that should be the focus-locking these criminals up and not making an already bad situation that folks with chronic pain live with already by "reformulating' medicines that are working for them, which always makes them less effective.

Good luck to those who are prescribed Zohydro.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-01-2014 at 06:01 PM.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BB07 For This Useful Post:
    coast to coast (03-19-2014),gmak (05-20-2014),karlee10 (03-22-2014)
    Old 05-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
    avglenn
    (male)

avglenn HB User

Being a chronic pain sufferer for 10 years, I've been rx'd most all the chronic pain meds. Since I live alone and have to think clearly enough to pay my bills on time, cook for myself etc. alot of the Oxy's I dont like taking, because of the side effects. Now my spine doc. says I need to stay on Norco, lyrica, etc to manage my chronic pain. Since I have a failed back surgery spine docs agree Via work comp, Im not a good surgery candidate for another back or neck surgery. I have always wondered why they cant make an extended release Norco, because I have high liver enzymes, and keep it monitored with all the Norco I take. So I was estatic when I learned of Zohydro. So I bring it up to me new pain mgmt. Dr. about taking it , and he claims he was on the advisory board and voted it down. I asked him why, what about us chronic pain patients? He just said , all I can say is its a dangerous drug, and the FDA will realize it in due time? Meanwhile he wants me to try the pain pump trial, and see if it works for me..With the pump trial medical facility being 62 miles from me one way : ( . It is so frustrating ! I have beed waiting a long time for Zohydro ( Norco ER) to have a ray of hope, to a big fat denial.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
    PhilliesFan20
    (female)

PhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB User

If you do a quick search, you'll find my rather lengthy post - written well after my previous response on this thread - about my experience with Zohydro. I'm not about to repeat all that info, but I will say the medication is available and Walgreens pharmacies in my area keep it in stock. I don't know your medical history - there may be reasons other than the potential for abuse that is keeping your doc from prescribing it. If however that is his sole reason, you may wish to start looking for a new Pain Management doctor. Keep in mind, like any narcotic, it can take a while to find the proper dosage for you, assuming it works. And unless you can convince your insurance company to cover it, Zohydro can be expensive.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #8
    tuloud54
    (male)

tuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BB07 View Post
    I too am really tired and fed up with FDA DEA worrying more about addict abuse.

They put that way above people like us who actually would benefit and allow us to be more functional-I'd like to see the "powers" that make all the decisions wake up one day and find themselves in chronic pain situation.

They don't realize how mentally and physically how draining chronic pain is and sucks your will to live right out of you.

Call me an addict. Call me weak. Call me whatever. Just don't deny me the right to have my severe chronic pain controlled the best way available with quality pain medication that isn't ruined by all the "reformulation".

They don't take these "reformulated" drugs and insist they are just as effective as they were as prior to reformulation.

Well I am hear to attest the reformulation has ruined many good/effective pain medicines. They either don't care or really believe reformulation to make narcotic pain medicine "abuse proof" has not affected the quality/effectiveness.

I was doing so well on Oxycontin, it helped me function when I believed there was no pain medicine that could. This drug got me out of bed and walking, getting me out of the house-it gave me hope. Until it became so famous among addicts and people who had no business in the first place-obtained it through illegal means. So they "reformulated" it and pretty much rendered it useless. Even the addicts know this and that's why it is no longer popular with addicts.

They(manufacturers)claim it is just as effective, just cannot be injected/sniffed,etc., but they don't take it for debilitating pain so how would they know? Oh that's right their lab/scientifics say so.

But we know that us untrue. They ruined a good pain medicine for the "safety' of addicts.

No one seems to care about the quality of pain relief amongst true chronic pain sufferers. If you take a powerful narcotic just for "kicks" then you have made a choice, a very dangerous choice, and that is on you.

I personally don't care about those who OD on powerful pain medications they have no business fooling with because they know it is not candy, though addicts treat them like they are.

Who suffers the most? Chronic pain patients. Addicts will just use Heroin,etc. no matter to them.

CP's have to continually seek out whatelse will work best, because for some of us we have exhausted all avenues and are on pain medications as a last resort.

I don't think Zohydro would be good for me because hydrocodone does not help for type of pain I deal with.

For those that do well on Hydro should not have any problems/red tape getting it if their doctor feels they would benefit from it. But I fear it will get into the wrong hands again creating another "epidemic". Sadly, the CP folks using this medicine and having great success with pain relief because of it(zohydro) will be swept under the rug. Again.

Who will it affect the most when this happens?

those who are CP or suffering from other painful diseases/conditions, etc., will not even be of concern if this medicine gets into the "wrong hands"

Obtaining these types of serious narcotic medications without a proper prescription and documentation of medical necessity is a CRIME-that should be the focus-locking these criminals up and not making an already bad situation that folks with chronic pain live with already by "reformulating' medicines that are working for them, which always makes them less effective.

Good luck to those who are prescribed Zohydro.
    Let's let a few of the FDA's, Dea's sons or daughters or mothers, or just someone close get intractable,mind numbing pain and not be able to get relief. I agree most people who od should not be taking the drug anyway! Former drug counselor and I can guarantee you most overdoses are accidents.They take 3 pills and feel ok after a couple of hours so take 3 more and so on! No excuse to make honest people suffer because of a couple of idiots. As I said,when it is your loved one in pain,only then will they understand.Just a sad thing that people suffer when the help is just over the counter. Take care folks and try a enjoy your day. Tom

Old 05-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi avglenn, I can hear how disappointed you are & im so sorry! Is your pain dr a pain mgmt dr or a pcp or family dr because it doesnt make sense to me how long acting hydrocodone would be more dangerous to you, a chronic pain patient , if you are already taking short acting hydrocodone unless there is a problem with the long acting delivery system and of course im not a dr but as far as pain relief goes & following a prescribed dosage correctly it seems like hydrocodone is hydrocodone is hydrocodone to me. I read an article recently about how many otc cold & sinus medicines are going to be reformulated without the acetaminophen because of potential liver problems if taken incorrectly & hopefully when that happens it will be an eye opener that prescription combination meds with acetaminophen will also be addressed. I also had failed back surgery syndrome diagnosis for 20+ years but was rediagnosed with adhesive arachnoiditis & only advisement by 3 spine NS's was to control pain & have no more invasive spine procedures or surgery but a pain pump was recommended & when pump installation was explained it is a 4 inch incision in back & tiny hole made in dura for intrathecal catheter & 4 inch incision in hip or abdomen for reservoir & operating down to the meninges, the tissue covering of spinal cord sac is real back surgery to me. My new diagnosis wasnt new i had had " spinal nerve root clumping" indicating adhesive arachnoiditis on MRI's since 1988, told 2012 & quite a few failed back surgery syndrome patients do have arachnoiditis. I truly hope that your liver enzymes stay relatively ok until you are prescribed zohydro or find a new dr that will prescribe it & that its attainable through insurance & within your budget. God bless you & thanks.

Last edited by gmak; 05-19-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #10
    lildixie79
    (female)

lildixie79 HB User
    Angry Re: Anybody use Zohydro yet

I have been on norco for 3 years. Switched to zohydro 6 weeks ago. This drug does not live up to all the hype. It is like taking an aspirin to me. It is non effective and the only results I get are constipation. I am dissatisfied with the results and really had hoped to be able to take a pill once per day and be done with it. I literally went through mild withdrawals when changing over to this new drug. It's weak and ineffective. The conversion chart is dead wrong. The news channels are having a field day saying oh how dangerous this drug is. I just laugh. I could get more pain relief from tramadol. What a joke.

The Following User Says Thank You to lildixie79 For This Useful Post:
    aimee2566 (07-26-2014)
    Old 07-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #11
    diazzy2
    (female)

diazzy2 HB User

Hello to all, I have been around this site for advise and to understand that I am far from alone.
    I chose to respond on this thread, since it is so new. I have been on zohydro for 2 weeks after 8plus years of good success with Norco. Due to increasing side effects and not having the pain control as in the past, my dr. decided it would be worth trying. I was given the facts, death, od, no Norco for BTP. Only fentynal patch and Zohydro. the hardest part has been breaking the habit of pills in a pocket for BTP. 2 pill/ day and that is it. Yes there are hard days- as the pain control ends approx 9 hours into the dose. Nights are no big deal- I sleep until my next dose, but the end of the work day can be tough. I am committed to stick this out, for my head is clearer than before. I sleep with out Ambien. The 1 st 8 hours of my day, I am a person with no pain and I'll take some of that life over all day with pain.
    My body chemistry has worked with Norco- I get sick with oxy and will not touch it. I am grateful for the new medication, but understand the risk. I know the drug will take lives over time, for foolish acts by desperate folks. We can only pray for them, to be sensible in their use and never expect perfection. Remember doctors try to make our lives better via the tools they have. They are not superheroes, or God. They are human, and can make mistakes. We have to help them help us.
    Best of Luck to all may you find relief!

Old 07-15-2014, 11:13 PM   #12
    naildriver
    (male)

naildriver HB User

Hi bb07,we have some pretty desperate addicts here in central
    Missouri. There are people here that have figured out how to
    Take the new Oxycontin apart and shoot it up and some have
    Died, seriously. And without the buffer in the zohydro, I'm sure they will find a way with that also. They are making it hard for
    True chronic pain Pt's to get treated with the latest meds.
    We do have a real problem here.

Closed Thread