It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Questions, questions, questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
    Carpathian
    (female)

Carpathian HB User
    Question Questions, questions, questions

Hi all,

Short story: I fell on ice in Jan 2013 and landed on my left arm. It didn't hurt that much so I treated it with ice and ibuprofen. One month later the pain got worse so I went to family doc who got x-rays which showed nothing. Then we tried to do an MRI but they couldn't get any good images because of position issues and pain. So they referred me to PM in March 2013. They did spine/cervical MRIs which show herniated disks in my C6-C7. I've been with the same PM since then. I am on 2 types of morphine (1 for long acting and 1 for breakthrough pain). Well, in February I ended up with appendicitis which was partially masked by my morphine so by the time I got to the ER I was bawling and they diagnosed me FAST and took me to the OR where they did a laparoscopic appendectomy and lysis of adhesions. I had a small rupture and infection. I was in the hospital 2 days. I told the nurses in the ER I had a PM doctor and gave them the morphine bottles to look at. While in the hospital they gave me my morphine but on discharge gave me a script for Vicodin for my appendectomy pain. I took my Vicodin to the same pharmacy I always use and they asked how I should take my Vicodin since I'm on morphine and I told them I assumed I'd just take the Vicodin and not the short-acting morphine which is what I did for 1 week (I had 30 Vicodin pills) which they said was the right thing to do so that's what I did.

So I used the Vicodin and went back to my general surgeon and he checked my 3 incisions which were healing well and asked if I was out of Vicodin and I was so I said yes and he laughed and said that if I had anymore pain from the incision to use my morphine because if he gave me anything it would break my pain control with my PM.

So I guess my question is was it okay for me to take the 1st and only script for Vicodin he gave me in the hospital??? I don't want to lose my PM doctor.

Also, a few weeks ago I did the dumbest thing. I accidently stuck my immediate release morphine in my robe and without thinking threw my robe in the wash and washed it. Unfortunately I had switched my pills to a small pillbox which is easier to open and it opened in the wash so bye, bye pills. So basically I've only been taking my long-acting morphine 15 mg once a day and I've been in a lot of pain but I'm sucking it up because of course the PM won't give a refill for stupidity and I don't blame them. It's my fault.

I have a PM appointment tomorrow for refills and I want to ask them about increasing my long-acting or switching to something that works better and getting off the short-acting. I'm tired of taking all of these opiates. Both of my brothers have in the past been drug addicts (pot) and I'm afraid I will become addicted to these long term. I'd love a patch medication and I know there is fentanyl but are there any others? Any advice anyone can give?

Thanks for reading my book..lol.

PS: My diagnosis is nerve pain in my arm. I've had 1 cervical injection which did nothing at all to help. I'm supposed to have another one but I wonder what the point is if the first didn't work and it's been over a year since I fell. Even the doctor himself didn't think the epi would work. What a waste of money. I can't afford to keeping throwing money down the drain! I might ask about a stellate nerve block tomorrow.

Last edited by Carpathian; 04-07-2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: typos

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Carpathian
    LadyBassPlayer (04-08-2014),mp71 (04-07-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
    Re: Questions, questions, questions

You may find that you are dismissed tomorrow. Why did you not notify your pm doctor that you were in the hospital ? Or call and ask the pm doctor before filling the vicoden prescription?
    The contracts usually spell out that you must contact your pm doctor before accepting and filling any other pain prescription....plus you won't have sufficient amounts of the morphine in your system if they test you.
    Sorry I realize you aren't going to like the answer but you may be in a real mess tomorrow.

The Following User Says Thank You to backhurtz For This Useful Post:
    ferd144 (04-07-2014)
    Old 04-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
    Carpathian
    (female)

Carpathian HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backhurtz View Post
    You may find that you are dismissed tomorrow. Why did you not notify your pm doctor that you were in the hospital ? Or call and ask the pm doctor before filling the vicoden prescription?
    The contracts usually spell out that you must contact your pm doctor before accepting and filling any other pain prescription....plus you won't have sufficient amounts of the morphine in your system if they test you.
    Sorry I realize you aren't going to like the answer but you may be in a real mess tomorrow.
    I wasn't able to contact my PM during my appendicitis because I was so ill and afterwards I just didn't think about it. I know the hospital contacted my PM while I was there though because my general surgeon told me they did. My PM will find my long-acting morphine in my system but not my short-acting morphine. After my surgery PM did refill my pills so I'm not worried about that. My surgery was in February and I went into PM in March for refills. I have to go in for an appointment every other month. I did call my PM and let them know I accidentally washed away my short-acting morphine so they know about that and just said to continue taking my long-acting which I have been doing. I don't want to be on 2 opiates so I'm hoping when I talk with PM tomorrow we can switch to just 1 since I've been off the short-acting morphine for 2 weeks now.

I also better ask for a copy of my contract too as they never gave me one. Then I guess I'll know exactly what to do. I have never ever gone to the ER or gone anywhere seeking drugs and my CURES report backs that up. I have never done illegal drugs either. My PM tests every time I go in too.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
    Carpathian
    (female)

Carpathian HB User

Also, if my general surgeon knew and contacted my PM why would he then give me script while still in the hospital after surgery? I guess I figured he wouldn't if it wasn't allowed. He flat out stated he wouldn't give me a script in the office (and I did not ask for one because I knew I shouldn't) because it would violate my pain contract so he did know about it. I assume since I've already gotten a refill from PM that they approved the Vicodin script when my surgeon called them.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
    tuloud54
    (male)

tuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB User

"Washed away my pills? This sends a red flag up to me and your dr is more in tune with the laws today.I have had pills stolen when first on pain mgmt. but learned what not to do.Your dr and most pain patients guard these pills with their life. Try and be honest but what are the chances you'll have your other appendix removed? I think and hope you will be ok.Let us know! It does help the board and prevents pe
    ople from making the same mistakes we all have with pain mgmt.God speed! Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tuloud54 For This Useful Post:
    ferd144 (04-07-2014)
    Old 04-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
    Carpathian
    (female)

Carpathian HB User

Well I had my appointment today and received my refills as normal so no problems there. I guess no one here feels the need to respond to the other questions in my post but my doctor did. I did read the do's and don'ts and have bought a small pill container to just put 1 day's pills in instead of taking the entire bottle out. I am nervous taking pills out as my son is young and I worry about him getting to them so I will keep them in my pocket so if I accidentally forget about them it's not such a bid deal. My doctor did not drug test me today so I guess they trust me. I've been with them a tad over a year now.

The following user gives a hug of support to Carpathian:
    karlee10 (04-08-2014)
    Old 04-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
    Carpathian
    (female)

Carpathian HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tuloud54 View Post
    "Washed away my pills? This sends a red flag up to me and your dr is more in tune with the laws today.I have had pills stolen when first on pain mgmt. but learned what not to do.Your dr and most pain patients guard these pills with their life. Try and be honest but what are the chances you'll have your other appendix removed? I think and hope you will be ok.Let us know! It does help the board and prevents pe
    ople from making the same mistakes we all have with pain mgmt.God speed! Tom
    Have my other appendix removed? We only have one. I have the scars and the discharge papers/records to prove I had a lap appy/lysis of adhesions. I thought this was a support board not a harassment board.

LadyBassPlayer (04-09-2014)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Carpathian For This Useful Post:
    Stupid feet (04-09-2014)
    Old 04-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
    SK59
    (female)

SK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB User

Carpathian,
    I'm so sorry that you are in pain & that you had to have emergency surgery! I'm glad that it all worked out with your doctor-it sounds like he is very understanding. I too have a doctor who is very easy to work with but others on this board have very strict rules to follow & are not always given the benefit of the doubt when their pain contract is not followed exactly.

I don't think it was anyones intent to harass you-they were just telling you how it would be with their PM doctor.

I use the duragesic patch. Did you ask your doctor about perhaps switching your pain meds to the patch? It has worked pretty well for me. I use OxyIR for breakthrough.

I hope you find some relief soon. Good luck!

SK

Last edited by SK59; 04-08-2014 at 06:45 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to SK59:
    Carpathian (04-08-2014)
    The Following User Says Thank You to SK59 For This Useful Post:
    Carpathian (04-08-2014)
    Old 04-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
    Carpathian
    (female)

Carpathian HB User

Thanks for your response!! I am going to have another cervical epidural block and then move to a stellate block and then to an implantable neurotransmitter. My severe arm pain is awful and my job requires constant typing which is torture but I need the job and can't find anything else right now in this economy. I can't afford to be unemployed as I'm single and support a child with cerebral palsy. I want to go back to school but just can't afford to. I'm in the middle of a custody battle and trying to get SSI for my child. I'm just exhausted. If there was someone who cared for my child like I did I might just give up but there isn't so I can't.

LadyBassPlayer (04-09-2014)
    Old 04-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
    karlee10
    (female)

karlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB User
    Wink Re: Questions, questions, questions

Hi there. I'm very glad to hear that things worked out well for you at your Dr. appt! I can understand why you feel some of these responses were a little harsh on you. (this isn't exactly how you said it, but it's pretty much how you came across. Please correct me if I'm wrong) Ok. Even if they were, I can truly understand why. Pain management, from my own experience, has been "Guilty until proven Innocent" I travel a year and a half each way for each appt. (Haha! An hour and a half - It SEEMS like a year and a half) I've been early for every appt., and still, I've waited at least 3 hours each visit, because they overbook so badly! This takes so long that I can't even get meds filled that same day. I have a great Dr. tho. Very understanding. In the past, I've done the same kind of things you just described in your post. Once I read all this, I really wanted to respond to you. I take full responsibility for getting a prescription filled at the ER, a year ago, because I didn't take my meds as prescribed one time, put myself in a bad position, and just "hoped" it wouldn't get noticed. Of course it was. My own fault too. Well, I told the truth, told my DR. it would not happen again. And it hasn't. I'm very grateful for that because I so could have been dropped right then and there. They didn't do that tho. They gave me another chance. I'm very grateful for that, and NOW I work even harder at taking all my meds right, and following every rule. I really hope that my experience can be a learning experience for everyone that reads this. Not all of us have really good PM Dr.s though. I have a feeling that many innocent PM patients have been treated very unfairly, because of all the changes that pain management has recently undergone. To be honest, my experience I just described was about a year ago, and I've been too chicken to share it here, feeling guilty that it's doing things just like I had done, that's caused some of these strict and seemingly unfair rules. And I feel badly that it effects everyone, even those that for years and years follow every single rule to a "T". I just changed my mind about sharing this becuase someone brought up the point of how I could spare someone else doing this by honestly sharing what I had done. Now, THAT'S a great reason to share it! And, I really wanted to do it right here, so that you'll understand that you're not alone. Not a bit. I also want to thank you for sharing your experience. You really helped me out by doing that! This really is a wonderful support site, and if you don't feel that way yet, just wait, you will! And, I'm very glad you have such a good Dr. to be grateful for. Karlee.

The Following User Says Thank You to karlee10 For This Useful Post:
    tuloud54 (04-09-2014)
    Old 04-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #11
    SK59
    (female)

SK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carpathian View Post
    Thanks for your response!! I am going to have another cervical epidural block and then move to a stellate block and then to an implantable neurotransmitter. My severe arm pain is awful and my job requires constant typing which is torture but I need the job and can't find anything else right now in this economy. I can't afford to be unemployed as I'm single and support a child with cerebral palsy. I want to go back to school but just can't afford to. I'm in the middle of a custody battle and trying to get SSI for my child. I'm just exhausted. If there was someone who cared for my child like I did I might just give up but there isn't so I can't.
    Did you have success with your first epidural? I have had several series of 3 & they gave me pretty good relief for a few weeks but then wore off. I know it is different for everyone.
    I'm sorry you are going through so much right now! Good luck with your upcoming treatments!

SK

Old 04-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #12
    tuloud54
    (male)

tuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB User

(1) appendix was a joke!Sorry you are having a tough time but glad your doctor did right by you. a. Good luck. You asked a question and people answered truthfully.Sorry you took it as mean!

Old 04-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #13
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi carpathian, I am so glad everything worked out so well at the dr appt too! I had hoped there wouldnt be a problem since the pm dr had been notified by the surgeon that the meds were given to you after surgery in the hospital & you had notified the dr about the loss of your bt meds & that you had made it on the long acting the whole time after the loss & you were seeing the dr the next day & also hope that the prescribed meds will work for you again to have controlled pain relief now that you have received both of your medicines. I didnt understand that you had other questions in the first post so didnt reply & im sorry for misunderstanding. Thank you for updating & happy to hear from you, anytime.

Last edited by gmak; 04-09-2014 at 10:41 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
    karlee10 (04-09-2014),thyme85 (04-10-2014)
    Old 04-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #14
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi carpathian, I am so glad everything worked out so well at the dr appt too! I had hoped there wouldnt be a problem since the pm dr had been notified by the surgeon that the meds were given to you after surgery in the hospital & you had notified the dr about the loss of your bt meds & that you had made it on the long term the whole time after the loss & you were seeing the dr the next day & also hope that the prescribed meds will work well for you again to have controlled pain relief now that you have received both of your medicines. I didnt see that you had other questions in the first post so didnt reply & im sorry for misunderstanding. But thank you for updating us & we will be happy to hear from you! Anytime.

Last edited by gmak; 04-08-2014 at 11:41 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
    karlee10 (04-09-2014)
    Old 04-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #15
    LadyBassPlayer
    Inactive
    (female)

LadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB User

Hi Raven, just want to chime in and say that I feel for you and your situation....it must be so tough to have to work in such pain, and be a single mom to a special needs child. All of that is hard to do when one is not in chronic pain, so I applaud your determination and strength and love for your kiddo.
    I pray that you will find relief and rest soon, and that the procedure you are going to have will be successful. All the best and God bless you !

Closed Thread