It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Filling class 2 early

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
    Riverhawk
    (male)

Riverhawk HB User
    Filling class 2 early

When people ask of they can fill a prescription
    early, do they mean earlier than the prescription is dated by the doctor. Or earlier than its due.?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Filling class 2 early

That would mean requesting a refill sooner than the time for which the script is written. For example, if someone is given 60 pills that are to be taken two pills per day, this prescription is to last one month. If the person goes in on day 20 and wants a refill due to running out, it will be assumed that this person is taking more than the prescribed two pills per day.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

If it is a Schedule 2 than that means it needs a new script each time. Its pretty impossible to every fill it "early" as either the patient will be given a new script when it is due (such as every 28 or 30 days), or they may be given prescriptions ahead of time with a date written upon which they can fill it on or after. Some people are on pain meds like Vicodin however that aren't Schedule II, so they may have refills. With these meds it may be more difficult to figure out how long the doctor expects the meds to last (as there may be flexibility in the dosing). Patients should always ask their doctors about those sorts of issues to ensure they completely understand. Best wishes.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
    Eva 14
    (female)

Eva 14 HB UserEva 14 HB User

Some pharmacies will do an 'early refill' on C-II meds. I found this out by accident when I took a script to pharmacy, just to drop it off, but they filled it on the spot. It was C-II.

It can vary by which pharmacist you happen to go to or which pharmacy you use. Go to one pharmacy---they may say they can't fill it till a certain date. Go to another pharmacy---they may fill it immediately, no problem. (IF you go to more than one pharmacy, make sure to TELL your doctor. My doctor knows well the difficulties I'm having with a certain chain store being unable to get my meds).

They will NOT fill a script before the 'fill date' that the doctor puts on scripts, just so you know.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User

The only way I have ever been able to get my Rx filled early is only if due on a day the Pharmacy is closed. Or if on a holiday & the pharmacy is again closed.
    I switched my pharmacy from one of the BIG chain stores to a local hospital pharmacy & my wife has chosen a local mom & pop shop that is only open limited hours. Also if you pay cash for your meds & not with an insurance plan, the local shops are in general cheaper for you also.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
    LimpinGimp84
    (male)

LimpinGimp84 HB User

Where I live the pharmacies here are super strict about most meds, especially sechule 2 meds. The pharmacy I use now has a rule the use for patients they have had for more than a year, 15 day refills 2 days earlier, 30 day meds 4-5 days earlier at most .

Old 07-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
    Pismogirl
    (female)

Pismogirl HB UserPismogirl HB User
    My pharmacy has super strict rules as well and won't fill even 1 day early. The pharmacist I usually work with is actually a super nice man, very friendly and just shares with folks on schedule II's that he simply will not risk his license by diverting from store policy even a bit.

Before I started pain management and was at a mom & pop pharmacy they'd fill early, no issue. That was also in 2013 though and I know some laws have changed since then in CA.

I have to say though, the way my pharmacist puts it, is accurate. He often tells folks "If you're taking your medication as prescribed then you're able to fill it the same day you'd run out. That being said, I see no reason why you'd need it early unless you're taking the medication other than as prescribed. That happens, you just need to speak with your doctor to find a more appropriate dosing. If you need them early for vacation purposes, again, you just need to speak with your doctor first and we can work with you."

Another thing to remember is that some pharmacists let you fill early but that does go on your electronic filing report. So if your doc looks that up they can see you continuously fill early. For most docs, that would be an issue. I used to be on auto refill and it would always allow me to refill a few days early. I never thought it was an issue and always would just go pick up my rx. When I transferred to my new pharmacy they said I had a "history" of filling early and they didn't care for that. I explained the situation and they had heard of it before and believed me but said it really just did me a disservice because it doesn't say why they were always filled early, just that they were.

By the way, when I say "you" I don't mean YOU directly just anyone this question could truly pertain to.

Sorry so long but I wish I knew all of these things when filling early long ago.

Closed Thread