It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Is this a side effect of my meds???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
    Moonstar22
    (female)

Moonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB User
    Is this a side effect of my meds???

I could be laying down on the couch, sitting or laying in bed..... all of the sudden either my whole body or my hand or my back (lumbar) latterly jumps...it's like a jerking jump. No other way to describe this.

Has anyone experienced this or similar?

I take for my pain & nerve damage...
    morphine sulf 30mg 2x day
    oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours (4x day)
    gabapentin 600mg 3x day

Please let me know either way. I hope someone responds to this.
    Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
    tuloud54
    (male)

tuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB User
    Re: Is this a side effect of my meds???

Gabapentin is what does make me have the jumps.Not painful but sure is scary! Benefits outweigh the cost! Take care! Tom

Old 07-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #3
    hanginin
    (female)

hanginin HB Userhanginin HB User

Yes, Gabapentin is most likely the one responsible.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

I get body twitching & jerking from Methadone. It actually took several months for them to show up though. They happen the most when I relax. Getting an MRI for example is torture because as soon as I try to lie still, my body starts jerking. I was started on Gabapentin for the movements (mostly in my legs) which occur when I'm asleep and disturb it, causing micro arousals (considered Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, diagnosed in a sleep study). So yes it is possible it is a side effect of one or more of those meds, but definitely discuss any new symptom with your doctors. Have you had a med or dose change recently? Best wishes.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
    Moonstar22
    (female)

Lightbulb Re: Is this a side effect of my meds???

So are you guys saying this is a side effect of the gabapentin? I haven't read that. Yes it is scary! If I add a muscle relaxer to my PM do you think that would help stop this? Please let me know your thoughts/advise.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
    Moonstar22
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tortoisegirl View Post
    I get body twitching & jerking from Methadone. It actually took several months for them to show up though. They happen the most when I relax. Getting an MRI for example is torture because as soon as I try to lie still, my body starts jerking. I was started on Gabapentin for the movements (mostly in my legs) which occur when I'm asleep and disturb it, causing micro arousals (considered Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, diagnosed in a sleep study). So yes it is possible it is a side effect of one or more of those meds, but definitely discuss any new symptom with your doctors. Have you had a med or dose change recently? Best wishes.
    You have described it even better for me. It only happens when I relax.
    Thank you.
    Yes I've had meds changed since my surgery in Dec. My surgeon changed me from lyrica to gabapentin because I was seeking a lower cost med for the nerve damage in my arms & hands caused from DDD in my neck which I had surgery in my neck in Dec 2011. Lyrica worked great & the gabapentin works great as long as I take it on time every day. I usually do.

Then my PM Dr. changed me from oxycontin er 20mg to morphine er 30mg (both 2x a day) recently, a few weeks ago.

I defiantly will talk to my PM Dr. about it as well as my surgeon. I have upcoming appointments with them this Tuesday & the following Tuesday.

This jerking & jumping wakes me from sleep too. Not that I get the right amount of sleep anyway.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Since the change from Oxycontin to Morphine was the most recent, unless this started before that change, that would be my guess. It could be the Gabapentin though (or something else entirely). Agreed to talk to your doctors. I could see them switching the long acting pain med again and seeing if this subsides. Adding another med to try to help a side effect it is a bad idea unless there is not another option. You likely have several other options for long acting pain meds. Best wishes.

Also: Does your long acting pain med last you 12 hours? Morphine ER is more commonly prescribed every 8 hours, and for some folks it doesn't even last that long. Same on the Oxycontin. So if you are noticing increased pain in the hours before your next dose, I'd also be sure to mention that to your doctor.

Do you take the short acting Oxycodone 4 times a day every day? That is pretty much around the clock (every 6 hours), not really a breakthrough med. Very interesting that they have you on equivalent amounts of long and short acting meds...typically the daily short acting med dosage is a fraction of the long acting med dosage. Getting the pain under good control with the long acting so the short acting is not needed as often for breakthrough is the typical goal.

Last edited by tortoisegirl; 07-05-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
    Moonstar22
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tortoisegirl View Post
    Since the change from Oxycontin to Morphine was the most recent, unless this started before that change, that would be my guess. It could be the Gabapentin though (or something else entirely). Agreed to talk to your doctors. I could see them switching the long acting pain med again and seeing if this subsides. Adding another med to try to help a side effect it is a bad idea unless there is not another option. You likely have several other options for long acting pain meds. Best wishes.

Also: Does your long acting pain med last you 12 hours? Morphine ER is more commonly prescribed every 8 hours, and for some folks it doesn't even last that long. Same on the Oxycontin. So if you are noticing increased pain in the hours before your next dose, I'd also be sure to mention that to your doctor.

Do you take the short acting Oxycodone 4 times a day every day? That is pretty much around the clock (every 6 hours), not really a breakthrough med. Very interesting that they have you on equivalent amounts of long and short acting meds...typically the daily short acting med dosage is a fraction of the long acting med dosage. Getting the pain under good control with the long acting so the short acting is not needed as often for breakthrough is the typical goal.

I saw my surgeon 2 days ago and "oh boy" was it a concerning visit.

He said it's not my meds. I'll try to make this as short as possible.
    He has ordered 4 MRI's and for me to see a GASTRO, Urolo and Neuro.
    Because I have so many things going on since my back surgery in Dec. Not just this problem.
    Then I will see him not until Aug. 13th to go over all results & reports.

Your right about adding meds for side effects though, I don't want to take any more meds than I have to.

And I'm sorry about the confusion between the morphine & oxycodone.
    I take morphine sulf. 30mg twice a day. It is a 12 hour ER.and works much better than the other ER meds I was on.
    The oxycodone 10mg is for break thru pain. The nurse put every 4 hours by mistake. It's 4 per day for BT pain. I don't take them around the clock. Thankfully I don't always have to take 4 in one day.
    I hope that cleared this up for us.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
    RABG
    (female)

RABG HB User
    Smile Re: Is this a side effect of my meds???

I have very similar meds as you, and I have been twitching/ jerking as well. I have been on Morphine liquid 20 mg. 2xday, Morphine ER 2-3xday, gabapentin 600 mg. per day.
    The jerking is very upsetting in the morning, especially when using a computer mouse. My husband bought me a little computer with touch screens that I use a stylus.
    As upsetting as these movements are no one notices them. How can that be? My legs are jerking when I am falling asleep.
    I wish you well

Closed Thread