It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Not happy with new Pain Dr.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
    karlee1010
    (female)

karlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB User
    Talking Not happy with new Pain Dr.

Hi. My original pain Dr. that ive had for 2 years moved to Tucson. So far, I've only seen his replacement Dr. once. Right away, she switched me to Oxycontin instead of the Fentanyl patch, which i've been on for a year now. Ok. I was willing to do it, but usually I agree with my Drs. suggestions, they are the professionals after all. At my next visit with her, which is this Friday, I want to have a gameplan of my own to work with. Sometimes with my previous Dr., I had trouble remembering everything I wanted to say, so I'd write kind of a letter / notes to just give to my Dr. and hand it to him to read right when I was in the room with him. It's helped me alot. It may sound silly, since I'm right there, but, this way I really don't seem to forget important things.

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions for me, for my upcoming appt. this friday? I'd really be grateful for any at all. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
    Re: Not happy with new Pain Dr.

Agreed that having an outline of topics you want to discuss is helpful for you both. Keep a copy and give a copy to the doctor so they can see what you'd like to cover. Not so much that each of you will spend more time reading than talking face to face, but just a couple short bullet points such as "increased pain levels, especially in morning", or whatever is going on.

Also, you could ask what this doctor's goals for your pain management are. I think the answer to that question is very telling. Then you can discuss what is reasonable, and specifically refer to that in the future, saying whether you are meeting them or not.

When I've made a list like that I've never had a doctor not get through the entire list. Sometimes if they don't know the patient has 3 things to discuss, they spend all the time on only the first thing they bring up, or make a decision without considering the other items.

Also, being descriptive in why your current meds aren't working is better than just saying they aren't working or your pain levels are up. Describing what activities you were able to do while taking your previous meds which you now cannot do for example.

I wouldn't ask specifically for a change in meds or dose, but ask in general that a change be made. Did the doctor say why they wanted to try you on something different? I know they all have their preferences, but its odd to change a patient's meds just due to a change in doctors, especially without explaining it to them.

When they propose a new plan, be willing to try it, but bring up any specific concerns you have. I hope this appointment goes smoother. Its difficult to start working with a new doctor, especially when dealing with these meds which impact our lives so much. That 15 minute appointment can really influence the next month or however long until the next one. Best wishes.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
    karlee1010
    (female)

karlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB User
    Re: Not happy with new Pain Dr.

Kate. Thank you so much. THAT'S exactly what I forgot about. The new Drs. goals for me. With my last Dr., right away we discussed that. He said,"Ok. My goal here is for you to get off of all breakthrough meds eventually. What do you think of that goal?" I had thought he meant like next month, but not at all, he explained how just this goal alone may take a little while, we don't know. And now, you just reminded me of that ever important part of my pain management! Thank you so much, Kate. Ok. And this makes me think of "If it's not broken, don't fix it." Well, the Fentanyl patch was working better than anything else i've tried, and also, it's the longest I've stayed on one particular medication since starting pain management too. This is how I'll start my notes for friday. I'll also concentrate on not going Onandonandon. Haha. If i'm not paying attention, I tend to do that. Right now, i'm so glad I put up this post. Already, it's helped out ALOT. Thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to karlee1010:
    gmak (07-09-2014)
    Closed Thread