It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• pain pump

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #1
    naildriver
    (male)

naildriver HB User
    Unhappy pain pump

Hi there, I'm new to this site but have been following for wwhilee, I'm not new to pain though, ddd at c3/4
    L1.2.3.4.5 to sacrum, stenosis and sciatica and lots
    More go into soon, suffering for 20 years. I was a
    Carpenter for23 years and became disabled 6 years
    Ago, am going to pm wed. To finally talk about pump.
    My question is for Dave or anyone, will they take into consideration where my pants are worn, the fact that i
    Can't sleep on my back and or are they going to put it where
    They want it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: pain pump

Hi Nail Driver. I have my Pump implanted in the front left lower quadrant, just above my belt line,. I dont feel it amd it doesnt get in the way at all. However from talking to my Nurse that refrills it, she was telling me every new pump she sees are being implanted in the back at the top of your hip/cheek, I dont really get how that isnt in the way at the top of your cheek but i would imagine like mine, once it is for about 6 months and the pouch is well formed I dont even notice it any longer.

I would be blunt with your doc and ask him if he is planning on retiring or leaving the area any time soon. I am on my second pump for a total of 11 years and Im in the middle of trying to find a new doc that is capable of managing it since my present doc is relocating. My First doc retired back in april and another doc in the group took over my pump and noe he is is leaving the area wich is really leaving me in a learch forced to go out of network and find a new doc capable of managing a pump. They must be certified by medtronics and it seems fewer and fewer docs are using pain pumps . They are still used to deliver Baclofin for MS patients but those docs dont manage pain from what I have learned. I see the doc they are referring me to tomorrow and I plan on taking a list of every PM doc in my network and asking if any of those docs manage pumps, I guess worst case I could change my medicare plan to one he accepts or move back to the basic medicare and get a part D plan on its own in december, but I am still concerned about the expenses between now and then. One UA could cost me as much as 1400 bucks out of network.

Good luck and I hope it works as wel for you as it has me. I am writing this from work right now which never would have been possible without the pump.

The following user gives a hug of support to Shoreline:
    ferd144 (07-15-2014)
    Old 07-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
    naildriver
    (male)

naildriver HB User

Thanks shoreline, I don't know if I could handle it in the back
    Since I sleep on my stomach, but I geuss you can learn to live
    With most anything as we know. I have Medicare a, but and d
    Is this copay for the pump due before implant or is it billed to u.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

No they don't ask for 20% of a 50K pump when you check in. that was my concern too, and nobody would say no that wasn't going to happen. When I checked in for both out patient surgeries they collected the outpatient surgery deductible, $200 or $250 back then. The pump gets billed with the hospital supplies like the surgical suite and other supplies used during surgery. You should have a bill from the anesthesia group, the surgeon that did the implant and then the hospital including the pump. Both implants were done as 23 hour stays, I spent the night and was discharged early the following day. Between anesthesiology, the surgeon and then hospital bill for the surgery suite, and miscellaneous charges, pain meds used in recovery, etc etc.. I cant recall paying more than 1400 out of pocket for either surgery even when I had basic Medicare. Hospitals' will negotiate that balance particularly if they are affiliated with a church, Like Bon Secours and Maryview are affiliated with the catholic church, Some hospitals are affiliated with the Methodists, etc etc and you can ask them for assistance based on income and they are generally pretty helpful in discounting your portion and working out a payment plan even if you aren't at the poverty level. If your disabled and collect SSD, I can't imagine the hospital not negotiating the portion you owe to them. I was also afraid of having to pay 20% of the device but that didn't happen or even come close.

Has your surgeon said they were going to implant the device on your hip, Is that why you asked about position? Good luck and I hope your trial goes well. Are you doing in patient, out patient or the single bolus dose method for the trial. My docs followed the full protocol and I had to do another psych eval. I say another because its was the 4th time I have taken the MMPI in the last 21 years as part of some PM workshop or boot camp, so it didn't seem odd to ask to do one for a pump implant. Its just something Medtronics' recommends, don't take it personally. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Dave

Closed Thread