It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Thoughts on swedish PM services?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
    bryski
    (male)

bryski HB User
    Thoughts on swedish PM services?

I'm going to see a doctor at Swedish pain clinic in Wa state and I hope I made a good choice...any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: Thoughts on swedish PM services?

Don't take this as a negative but from what I have heard its a work hardening program where they teach you that you are able to endure more than you think. This isn't a new philosophy and there have been several recent studies showing that this method gets the same results as far decreases or same reporting of pain scores as those that use opiates. If a patient on opiates says their pain was an 8-9 prior to meds and now their pain is a 4-5, and these programs are getting the exact same patient reports of top end and least amount of pain as those that use opiates. It does blur the line of success with opiates if getting in shape results in the same reporting of pain levels as those that use opiates.

If you haven't already been exposed to opiates what to do you have to loose by trying to learn to cope with pain and strengthen the injured area. If the best your going to get is a 4 or 5 with or without opiates, it seems hard to justify the use of opiates. If you are already on opiates the withdrawal of opiates at a program like this would likely create negative reporting as it isn't what someone expects, is used to and they still have the belief that opiates must help even though statistically these types of programs generate the same changes in pain scores as those that use opiates.

I could be completely wrong and they have changed their program at this clinic in the last few years but I remember a 20 20 report on this clinic as far back as a 15 years ago and more PM programs are going back to this approach to treating chronic pain. It was the only method used prior to the invention of OxyContin and all the other high strength meds now available. Bottom line is results and you wont know if you don't try.

Opiates should be the last resort, IMO, not the first line. If their is a way to learn to manage and cope with the pain without the negative aspects of opiates, I don't see what you have to loose by trying. I have tried this method but at the time I still needed surgery so pushing me just pushed my surgery up a as it didn't resolve the physical problems that could have be corrected by surgery although their are no guarantees with any treatment option. My fusions failed and left me in worse condition than when I was busting my butt in a work hardening program. However I can say I had tried everything before trading pain relief for physical dependence. It is a pretty steep price and one that shouldn't be taken lightly. I also still use many of the things I learned from those programs as far as knowing I am not doing damage by exercising and learning to strengthen my core without doing additional harm and using relaxation techniques before I reach for the meds at every increase in pain. I am going to hurt whether I exercise or not, so why not get the benefit of exercise. I hurt just as much at work as I do siting on the couch. Distraction is an effective tool against pain and its hard to find distraction homebound and afraid to do anything you think might increase your pain. There is nothing worse for your health than being sedentary and too many patients get opiates and spend their day doing nothing to improve their situation and report their pain scores at the same levels of those who have learned techniques taught at this type of program that don't use opiates.

Obviously its not the answer for everyone but what do you have to loose by trying, spending a few more months without opiates isn't going to make a difference in the long run. I've been dealing with CP for 21 years, the first 8 completely without opiates other than short term post op having surgery after surgery. I am better off today but I'm confident its the right choice for me due to my prior and continued efforts to stay active and exercise regardless of how I feel. If you are going to hurt anyway, may as well benefit from the exercise. We all have to make our own choices and live with those choices. Good luck and I wish you the best. Dave

The following user gives a hug of support to Shoreline:
    bryski (07-20-2014)
    Closed Thread