It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Paracetamol overdose

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
    arrival
    (female)

arrival HB User
    Paracetamol overdose

My friend told me, she is taking 14-16 tablets (500 mg / tablet) of Paracetamol every day since about 2 weeks. That's 7-8 mg / day, and I heard the maximum daily does is 4 mg.
    Should I be worried?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Paracetamol overdose

The max has been lowered to 3,000 a day. She should switch to some other medication. Perhaps napraxen owuld work better for her

Old 07-23-2014, 06:09 AM   #3
    karlee1010
    (female)

karlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB User

Hi. Be very careful with Naproxen, Naprosyn, or Aleeve. (There meds are all the same medication actually). The reason I say that is because I had no clue how hard on my stomach it was, but, after our rollover car accident, where my husband fell asleep at the wheel (bad accident) I fractured my tailbone and a few other things (no seatbelt), I started taking Naprosyn aka Aleeve for my back pain, hoping I wouldn't have to resort to narcotics. After not even a year of this, I ended up with bleeding ulcers. I had taken it on an empty stomach, and just overall not careful with it. I ended up throwing up blood, and having to have emergency surgery, having half my stomach n intestines cut out. I just want people to know this, what if I could save even one person from all that?! Many people take Aleeve safely, by reading the directions and for sure talking to your Dr. About it. At the time, my Dr. Never said a thing to me about these dangers. I hope I didn't scare you from taking Aleeve, only scared you from taking it the way I did. (Incl. not talking to your Dr. About it.). Also, good for you for looking for non-narcotic options. I really hope you find relief very soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to karlee1010 For This Useful Post:
    tuloud54 (07-23-2014)
    Old 07-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
    BB07
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

Not to mention there is also a greater risk of stroke.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:32 AM   #5
    EJM3
    (male)

EJM3 HB User

I have been taking 4,000 mg a day of acetaminophen for many years now, but always with my DR knowing and approving of my ho dose. The current recommendation is for 3g or 3,000mg, but higher pain, more drugs, and DR in the loop.

Now at 7g to 8g a day, double dosing like that is VERY bad on the liver. I would try other meds, but I am allergic to anything other than acetaminophen, aspirin, and opioids. Your friend has a much wider selection available, and should look into other or adjunct meds.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
    Ravin835
    (female)

Ravin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB User

Yes, that is an overdose, 3000 mg per day is the max. The risk is liver failure which can happen suddenly and with just ONE overdose. Your friend might just find herself on the waiting list for a new liver if she doesn't stop taking such large doses. I pray she is not drinking any alcohol.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
    arrival
    (female)

arrival HB User

Thank you very much, and sorry for the late answer, I was on holiday.
    Very helpful

Closed Thread