It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Taking alot of pain medication

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2014, 03:22 AM   #1
    hfm334
    (male)

hfm334 HB User
    Taking alot of pain medication

Im a 49 yr old male who was diagnosed with cancer in 2010 after radiation, chemotherapy , surgery I woke up with a colostomy bag forever they took out my rectum due to colorectal cancer I am very thankful for the drs saving me and so far ive been cancer free. But in 2011 6 months after my radiation treatments I woke up and couldn't walk was in so much pain. A neurologist told me i now have necrosis of my spine due to over radiating. Now 2 yrs later i walk with a cane and take soooo much pain medication i take 100 mil 4x a day of morphine er and 30 mil morphine ir every 4 hrs I hate the feeling i get from the morphine. We have tried nerve blocking but it has never worked the dr tells me I will probably be like this for ty he rest of my life . I dont want to be addicted to morphine for life I'm so frustrated , Oh yeah almost forgot i talk with a pain management treatment facility and they tell me I've been on the medication far to long but due to my conditi0conditon the necrosis they can't help me I also was on a pain patch but that caused seizures I don't know where to go from here I'm so frustrated :

Last edited by hfm334; 08-01-2014 at 03:33 AM.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: hfm334
    MtnGrl887 (08-02-2014),Sweeter0 (09-22-2014),tuloud54 (08-01-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2014, 04:58 AM   #2
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
    Re: Taking alot of pain medication

Sorry you are dealing with so much. Do the pain meds help you cope with the pain? Often that is the best we can hope for. If you don't think your doctor is maximizing your treatment, than you may want to try a new one. One way to do this is to research some other pain management doctors in your area and make a new patient appointment (or few), and ask them what they would recommend.

Just be sure not to get any prescriptions or sign any contracts before formally ending your relationship with your current doctor. Yes you will probably get some that say they won't take you as a patient or don't have any suggestions, but hopefully someone would have some helpful treatment ideas.

I can say that your daily opiate dose is high, but not crazy high. I am actually on more than double your daily dose sadly enough. There is no ceiling dose for opiate pain meds...they can go as high as the patient can tolerate (due to side effects). One option if the dose was to get so high that the side effects outweighed the benefits would be an implanted pump to deliver a fraction of the dose to the spinal fluid (much much less is needed that way for the same effect).

Tolerance develops over time, and with that. the dose each patients needs for their pain is highly variable. There should however be several other long acting opiate options besides morphine and patches (I assume Fentanyl). Dilaudid/Hydromorphone/Exalgo, Oxymorphone/Opana, Oxycodone/Oxycontin, Butrans patches (same med as in Suboxone), Methadone, Tapentadol/Nucynta, and a couple longer acting forms of morphine (capsules instead of pills, which last 12 or 24 hours instead of 8). Also adjunct meds...have they tried any of those, like Lyrica, Gabapentin, Cymbalta, Amitriptyline, etc?

The vast majority of us are not addicted to our pain meds. Yes we are physically dependent (would go into withdrawal if we stop taking them), but not addicted (which would include a psychological craving for them). Agreed that it is frustrating to think that we will deal with chronic pain likely for the rest of our lives. I have hope that other options will come along over time. Things could always be worse. Best wishes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortoisegirl For This Useful Post:
    MtnGrl887 (08-02-2014),tuloud54 (08-01-2014)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    back pain, drug addiction, frustration, morphine