It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Hurts to walk on right leg afer recent car accident

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
Kaykay90
(female)

Kaykay90 HB User
Angry Hurts to walk on right leg afer recent car accident

I am 24 years old and was recently injured in a car accident on July 28 this year. I was in the back seat of a jeep with the top off and was not wearing a seatbelt because the jeep did not have seat belts in the back. The driver took his eyes off the road for just a quick second and then crashed the jeep into some trees. I was thrown from the jeep as it rolled twice. I thankfully didn't break any limbs. However, I did get my right hip popped out, I have 2 small compression fractures in the L1 area of my spine, and one small fracture in the c7 vertebra of my neck. The doctors were able to easily pop my right hip back into place to wear other doctors even said that you can't even tell anything happened to it. I've got a neck brace on and a chest/back brace on now though due to the fractures. I have to wear the neck brace 24\7 and I can only take the chest/back brace off when laying in bed. My neck and back don't really give me much pain, the only thing is that every once in a while ill get those little spots that bother me a bit just to where I wish I could get a massage, hehe. The only thing on my body that hurts really good is my right leg. It doesn't hurt me when I am just sitting there, but when applying pressure to it or standing up and trying to put any weight on it by stepping or taking steps, the whole back of my leg hurts and everything feels really really tight. My left leg doesn't hurt so I can step on it and move around on it. I've been getting pushed around in a wheelchair since I can't walk. My left doesn't hurt as bad now as it did the first couple weeks after the accident. I feel the pain and tightness in the very back back of my foot..right above the heel, also in my calf and the area in the back of my knee. Right now I can only move my leg around, move my foot around, and step on my toes. I've obviously been going to the doctors quite a few times over the past few weeks. All the xrays my orthopedic doctor has taken of my right hip have all come back not showing any damage to my hip. I've had an MRI done of my right hip and of my lower spine this week to show if anything in those areas is causing anything. I hope to hear of the results if all these MRI images over the next week to see if it is just my muscles or nerves or what is making my leg hurt,. The doctors haven't told me any exercises to do with this leg in order to make it more strong until I get the MRI results back. Does anyone think it would be safe if I start using this Golds Gym Mini Stepper I bought from Wal-Mart to start working my legs and working my muscles while I sit in the cahir, or should I wait until I hear the results of my MRIs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
gmak
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Hurts to walk on right leg afer recent car accident

Hi kaykay, I am so sorry to hear of your accident. Thank God you werent hurt worse! I think if i were you & had waited this long i would wait for MRI results & a release from dr to bear weight on legs but i would ask the dr at next opportunity if ok to order PT to do passive exercises to maintain mobility & prevent muscle atrophy. My mother had therapist come to her home. I had wedge compression fracture at T12-L1 in march & wore the brace for 4 weeks & i had fracture pain for 7-8 weeks off & on but have had no more pain from fracture since.I hope everything with your spine is ok & you feel better soon!

Last edited by gmak; 08-30-2014 at 07:12 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
Kaykay90 (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
tuloud54
(male)

tuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaykay90 View Post
I am 24 years old and was recently injured in a car accident on July 28 this year. I was in the back seat of a jeep with the top off and was not wearing a seatbelt because the jeep did not have seat belts in the back. The driver took his eyes off the road for just a quick second and then crashed the jeep into some trees. I was thrown from the jeep as it rolled twice. I thankfully didn't break any limbs. However, I did get my right hip popped out, I have 2 small compression fractures in the L1 area of my spine, and one small fracture in the c7 vertebra of my neck. The doctors were able to easily pop my right hip back into place to wear other doctors even said that you can't even tell anything happened to it. I've got a neck brace on and a chest/back brace on now though due to the fractures. I have to wear the neck brace 24\7 and I can only take the chest/back brace off when laying in bed. My neck and back don't really give me much pain, the only thing is that every once in a while ill get those little spots that bother me a bit just to where I wish I could get a massage, hehe. The only thing on my body that hurts really good is my right leg. It doesn't hurt me when I am just sitting there, but when applying pressure to it or standing up and trying to put any weight on it by stepping or taking steps, the whole back of my leg hurts and everything feels really really tight. My left leg doesn't hurt so I can step on it and move around on it. I've been getting pushed around in a wheelchair since I can't walk. My left doesn't hurt as bad now as it did the first couple weeks after the accident. I feel the pain and tightness in the very back back of my foot..right above the heel, also in my calf and the area in the back of my knee. Right now I can only move my leg around, move my foot around, and step on my toes. I've obviously been going to the doctors quite a few times over the past few weeks. All the xrays my orthopedic doctor has taken of my right hip have all come back not showing any damage to my hip. I've had an MRI done of my right hip and of my lower spine this week to show if anything in those areas is causing anything. I hope to hear of the results if all these MRI images over the next week to see if it is just my muscles or nerves or what is making my leg hurt,. The doctors haven't told me any exercises to do with this leg in order to make it more strong until I get the MRI results back. Does anyone think it would be safe if I start using this Golds Gym Mini Stepper I bought from Wal-Mart to start working my legs and working my muscles while I sit in the cahir, or should I wait until I hear the results of my MRIs?
Sorry for your injuries at such a young age! Not to scare you or anything but have you gotten a lawyer yet? You need to protect yourself legally,medically and financially.Who pays the medical bill? Do you have an excellent medical team? Go slow on the exercise. You are young and will most likely bounce back. Healing quick is a luxury of youth. Still, get a lawyer to help you! All the best luck to you. God speed Tom

Old 08-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
Ilovemycutedog
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

As others have said, it's a blessing you weren't hurt more seriously!!

I'm not sure what a lawyer would do in this situation? You are over the age of 18 and made the decision to get in a vehicle that didn't have any seatbelts. Just like with a drunk driver, it's our choice to ride with someone. Not trying to make you feel bad at all as we all make mistakes in our lives and wish we could turn back time, so please don't take it that way, I am just responding to the previous post about getting a lawyer as there is no one to "sue" in this situation. Believe me, I've got plenty of scars (literally) for the things I have done in my youth! LOL

I hope that you have your own health insurance or are on your parent's policy and will get the care that you need. I agree with GMAK in that you should wait to hear about the MRI results before doing any type of exercise. But once cleared, going to PT faithfully and following all the orders should help you recover more quickly. And this is where being young is a good thing as you can bounce back easier!

I hope they have given you a good muscle relaxer because this, along with a good anti-inflammatory like Advil, along with getting protein during the day, and lots of water, should help the inflammation and muscle soreness.

Hope you get better each day!

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 08-31-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
Kaykay90
(female)

Kaykay90 HB User

tuloud54:

Well I do have a case worker from Riddle & Brantley. I am waiting to hear if I get approved for Medicaid. If I do get approved then that will take of quite a bit of the bills, then my case worker is going to figure out everything else with the drivers insurance company. So hopefully me and my family will not have to pay any medical bills. I am hoping that with me being young, that my health will help me heal good. Thankfully the xrays of my neck and back the other day did not indicate any further damage or breaks. I am just really praying that the pain in my leg is not due to any blood clots. That is what I am really scared of.

Last edited by Kaykay90; 08-31-2014 at 06:17 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kaykay90:
tuloud54 (09-01-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
Kaykay90
(female)

Kaykay90 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycutedog View Post

I'm not sure what a lawyer would do in this situation? You are over the age of 18 and made the decision to get in a vehicle that didn't have any seatbelts. Just like with a drunk driver, it's our choice to ride with someone. Not trying to make you feel bad at all as we all make mistakes in our lives and wish we could turn back time, so please don't take it that way, I am just responding to the previous post about getting a lawyer as there is no one to "sue" in this situation. Believe me, I've got plenty of scars (literally) for the things I have done in my youth! LOL

I hope that you have your own health insurance or are on your parent's policy and will get the care that you need. I agree with GMAK in that you should wait to hear about the MRI results before doing any type of exercise. But once cleared, going to PT faithfully and following all the orders should help you recover more quickly. And this is where being young is a good thing as you can bounce back easier!

I hope they have given you a good muscle relaxer because this, along with a good anti-inflammatory like Advil, along with getting protein during the day, and lots of water, should help the inflammation and muscle soreness.

Well we just got a case worker because of the medical bills. You are right though, there is no one to sue. The driver did not do this on purpose. Me and the girl that were in the back only got a $10 bill for not wearing a seatbelt. Our caseworkers and the drivers insurance company will be taking care of the bills though.

With medical insurance, ive applied for Medicaid because with my stubborn job, I was not provided with health insurance. I am hoping the MRI results come in quickly so that I know nothing is seriously wrong with my leg though.

Right now, im just taking Percocet and ibruprofen for pain.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
gmak
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi kaykay, I have had blood clots in my legs before & it hurt in the calf of my leg especially when i pointed my toe or bent my foot back toward my body & i had slight swelling in my foot & ankle. The dr examined my leg & then ordered a doppler study which was like an ultrasound & was easy & not painful. Is the tightness in your leg from swelling & has the dr already checked you for a blood clot? Mine did not hurt with weight bearing but its best to get checked if you havent already because it can be different for each person. Also, i broke both my wrists a few years ago & the dr told me that sometimes a hairline fracture may not be seen immediately on xray but later after it separates a little a fracture may show up & if pain persists to re xray. I hope that there are no more problems & you can continue to recover fully & quickly!

Old 09-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
karlee1010
(female)

karlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB User

Hi Kaykay. Welcome to Healthboards. I learn something different every time from gmak. Love it! I didn't know about a hairline fracture not showing up until maybe later. Scary stuff. If you do wait until you get results from MRI, you just may find out new info that you never thought of. You probably think, Well, you already know where you hurt, and noone else would. Haha. True. So, more than likely you know the majority of it. But, back problems and pain are alot more technical and complicated than I'd thought too. Mostly every-
thing I've learned about it is from these people here, at Healthboards. My Pain management Dr. somewhat, but he just doesn't have the time or patience. Too many patients. Haha. Hope you get your MRI results soon, Kaykay. I'm so glad you're here.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
tuloud54
(male)

tuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycutedog View Post

Sorry!God Speed

Old 09-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #10
Ilovemycutedog
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Toloud, please don't apologize for anything! I was just expressing my own opinion just like you were I just had a friend who had a situation like this back in our 20's so wanted to share the information that I learned from that.

Closed Thread

Tags
accident, leg, orthopedic, pain, walking