It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Terrified!!!! (Epidural Steroid Injection)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
    Ima_chick_n
    (female)

Ima_chick_n HB User
    Unhappy Terrified!!!! (Epidural Steroid Injection)

I've been having severe pain in my neck and upper back for about 7 months now. My doctor recommended going to a pain management doctor for an epidural steroid injection. My appointment for the injection is this Friday and I'm absolutely terrified. Right now I'm so scared that I'm not sure what is worse, being in pain like I am now or going in for the injection. Even though my doctor tells me I'll be fine I'm convinced that it's going to be terrible.

What does it feel like to get the injection? Does it hurt as bad as I'm imagining it will? Any tips to help me get through it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
    Re: Terrified!!!! (Epidural Steroid Injection)

It's not a bad injection at all !! Please try not to be so worried.
    It could be very helpful for your pain. Blessings!

The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpotato13 For This Useful Post:
    SK59 (09-05-2014)
    Old 08-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
    Ima_chick_n
    (female)

Ima_chick_n HB User

I'm trying not to worry but I'm terrified of needles and I've heard so many horror stories about the injections. I'm so tempted to call and cancel the appointment but I can't stand being in this much pain anymore.

The doctor gave me a prescription for Valium to take before my appointment but I'm still worried that I'm not going to be able to go through with it.

Last edited by Ima_chick_n; 08-30-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
    Moonstar22
    (female)

Moonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB User

Please don't be terrified, I know easier said then done bla bla bla.

The shots are a little painful, not bad tho. I had them but they didn't work for me. My Mom had them and swares by them & she's been pain free for about a year & a half now. If they work for you, you will be so happy you did it. You'll see.

Don't cancel, you will be alright, promise.

Besides, what do you have to loose?...Pain is what you'll loose!

Old 08-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
    tuloud54
    (male)

tuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB Usertuloud54 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ima_chick_n View Post
    I've been having severe pain in my neck and upper back for about 7 months now. My doctor recommended going to a pain management doctor for an epidural steroid injection. My appointment for the injection is this Friday and I'm absolutely terrified. Right now I'm so scared that I'm not sure what is worse, being in pain like I am now or going in for the injection. Even though my doctor tells me I'll be fine I'm convinced that it's going to be terrible.

What does it feel like to get the injection? Does it hurt as bad as I'm imagining it will? Any tips to help me get through it?
    My nerves were frayed too! My dr gave me a valium which did help relax me.The pain I was in needed any help I could get.Please try and relax and take the valium for the procedure.What if this eases your pain? Take the meds that help the pain. Enjoy the day and know that prayers never hurt a thing! You'll be just fine!!! God speed. Tom

Last edited by tuloud54; 08-31-2014 at 08:35 AM.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

They will give you a numbing injection of lidocaine first, it is like a bee sting, but for a second. Then they will do the injection, so you won't feel it.
    It is over in it's entirety in a few minutes, the longest part is waiting while they get ready to do the actual injection.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

The anxiety before the procedure was worse than the actual procedure for me. Its great you were able to get Valium; I didn't get that option for this procedure, although I got it for another one. You do need to have a driver due to that though. They didn't do any numbing for me, just a single injection. Although it was quite painful, it was over very quickly.

Its a sharp pain, then a kinda weird sensation as they inject the liquid. They will likely have you lay on your stomach so you won't see the needle (which is good in my opinion, even without a needle phobia). There is a very very low risk with this procedure, so its not something to worry about. I would just let them know you are anxious and request that they talk you through everything (although they typically do).

I hope it ends up helping your pain. If not, its still one step closer to finding something that does. Will the pain management doctor keep seeing you, or is this a one time thing? A good pain management doctor is who is best for treating chronic pain. Best wishes.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
    Ilovemycutedog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

As others have mentioned, try not to be scared...it's a very easy and quick process! Just make sure you have someone who will be driving you if you take the Valium beforehand.....There shouldn't be any real pain associated with this and most people have great success with these injections to give them some relief!! I've had dozens of them over the years without any issues whatsoever....(I don't mind needles so don't have any Valium) so would drive to the Drs. for my appt. go in, get the injection, and drive right back to work!

Just keep focused on the outcome which is having less pain than you have now and by doing this, it will allow your body to be less inflamed and to heal better. Just follow all the Drs. instructions afterwards.

Good luck!

Old 08-31-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
    ferd144
    Veteran
    (female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

I have my injections done by my PM doc at a Day-OP (under sedation) every few months.

Its hassle-free and have never felt nor worried about needles(i hate them also)

Maybe thats an option?

GL

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ferd144 For This Useful Post:
    gmak (09-01-2014),Vort Max (09-14-2014)
    Old 08-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
    Ima_chick_n
    (female)

Ima_chick_n HB User

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm still feeling very scared about the whole thing.

Someone here mentioned having it done under sedation. That's the way I wanted to go, but I couldn't find a doctor in my area who would do it that way. I did make sure that the doc is going to be numbing it first though. And he already knows how scared I am. That's why he recommended that I take the Valium.

The following user gives a hug of support to Ima_chick_n:
    tuloud54 (08-31-2014)
    Old 09-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
    BB07
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

I hope it helps you.

think positive.

I have had many of those too.

good luck.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #12
    karlee1010
    (female)

karlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB User
    Wink Re: Terrified!!!! (Epidural Steroid Injection)

Hi there. The best response you got here I think, is to think of how wonderful it'll be if they work well for you! That's for sure. You'd never know that otherwise. I'll tell you my experience. IT didn't work for me, but I'd have always wondered if I didn't try. I also didn't get anything first for relaxing, so that's great that you did! Stay positive! I do hope it works for you.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
    Moonstar22
    (female)

Moonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB User

Ok, Ima_chick_n, you got some awesome advice here! I wish I had it before I had my first one.
    However, I also was given a valium before they were done. It helped me because I was about terrified as you!

But really, it wasn't that bad. I even asked if he was done yet and he said yes, all done. It does feel like a slight bee sting at first because they are numbing the skin. You really don't see anything because you are laying on your stomach. I made myself more scared when I watched this being done on you tube & that was stupid of me to do because when it was done, it was not so bad.

Good luck and please let us know how your doing on Friday.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Moonstar22
    Daffydolphin (09-14-2014)
    Old 09-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #14
    Ima_chick_n
    (female)

Ima_chick_n HB User

Well tomorrow's the big day and I'm still terrified.

I made the same mistake Moonstar22. I knew it was a mistake as soon as I did it. I thought I'd feel better if I knew exactly what to expect so I watched a video. It looks like something that's gong to be absolutely terrible. I've been so sick to my stomach ever since I watched it. I just hope I don't chicken out tomorrow.

Last edited by Ima_chick_n; 09-04-2014 at 02:39 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Ima_chick_n:
    tortoisegirl (09-05-2014)
    Old 09-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #15
    Ima_chick_n
    (female)

Ima_chick_n HB User

Well I survived. It wasn't nearly as painful as I was expecting and it was over before I knew it. The doctor explained everything before he did it. The nurse held my hand and whispered encouraging words to me the whole time.

I'm trying to take it easy today but I'm still pretty sore. An ice pack seems to be helping a lot. When I was back in the recovery room the doctor came in and told me I did a great job and that somehow I managed to stay more relaxed then most of his other patients. Not quite sure how that happened because I was shaking like a leaf and crying when he came into the room before the procedure.

The following 6 users give hugs of support to: Ima_chick_n
    ferd144 (09-05-2014),gmak (10-02-2014),momzworkin (09-19-2014),sweetpotato13 (09-24-2014),tortoisegirl (09-06-2014),tuloud54 (09-06-2014)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    epidural, epidural steroid injection, esi, steroid injections