HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pain Management (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/)
-   -   I need help talking to Dr about pain management (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/991750-i-need-help-talking-dr-about-pain-management.html)

2yng4this 10-25-2014 02:54 PM

I need help talking to Dr about pain management

Hey ya'll,
I'm needing help on how to talk to my Dr about my current pain medication (oxycodone 10/325 every 4 hrs) not working very well. I tried to tell hun a few months ago that I'm still battling pain really bad much more often then I would expect being on my meds. Well, he very quickly became frustrated and started saying that he may not be able to treat me further.
I've been on oxycodone 10/325 up to 6 times a day aswell as Soma for the muscle spasms now for awhile and this was my first time saying anything about it. This was 2 months ago. My next visit he apologized saying he had been having a rough day and unfortunately I took the brunt of it. I have horrible pain frequently in my back (both in the middle of my spine and in my lower back caused from a 3" lesion in my mid back and bad discs in my C spine) aswell as horrible migraines, pain at the base of my skull down threw my neck (both spine pain and muscle pain) and at times ridiculous nerve pain from mid abdomen to my feet. There are far to many days I have a very difficult time doing what seem like simply tasks because if my pain is really bad it causes my balance to be really off, my vision gets blurry or shakes any my skin becomes extremely sensitive even to lite touch. I've never had an addiction to anything nor have I used any illegal drugs and since my dx I haven't drank alcohol (as I feel like I'm drunk without it and I don't want to have any added problems with it not mixing with my meds) Sometimes I have to take 2 pills at once, especially of a morning, to get the pain under control so I can even get out of bed and walk to the bathroom. I've been on Neurotin, Lyrica, Norco, tramadol for pain and everything from flexaril to tizanidine for muscle spasms. Neither the Neurotin or Lyrica did much of anything towards the pain but kinda helped with my skin sensation and the pins and needles in my feet and hands, the Norco worked for awhile then they started decreasing in effectiveness the same with the muscle relaxers.
I've talked to some of my fellow MS friends any they have told me different meds that work wonders for them. I'm a single mom to a teenage daughter and I just really want to be able to even just go on walks with her without the pain or my anxiety from the pain causing my other symptoms to flair up. Both her and I deserve to be able to enjoy life more together before my MS progresses to where I am in a wheelchair.
I would really like to try something that is longer acting, so I wouldn't have to take so many a day, and actually controls the pain to where it could at least be a 5/10 instead of a 8/10 with meds at times or a 15/10 without them.
Being I'm only 33 I shouldn't be having accidents while laying in bed because the pain is simply to much to "push threw" to force myself to walk/crawl to my bathroom.

Please help!! I don't want him thinking I'm seeking, I just would love to feel better.

Whoopee 10-26-2014 11:42 AM

Re: I need help talking to Dr about pain management

I think I got all the facts and I really "feel" for you! My mother had MS and spent the last 20+ years in a wheelchair. So, I get it. First off, when you say "your doctor", exactly what is his specialty? My Mom went to so many different docs, I think she even lost track. Realize two things, the meds you're on for what you are dealing with are what I'd call, baby steps. Also, realize many docs are not comfortable no matter your problem is, prescribing anything stronger than what you're already taking. So, you may need to be seeing a legit pain management doc in addition to your GP/MS/ whatever doc. They are the one's with the knowledge and environment to prescribe what is actually indicated. In your case, most likely something stronger than you're taking now. Also be aware that most good PM docs will start you conservatively and move you up slowly. Just keep your head up, possibly keep a journal and communicate freely with your doc. Let them know everything (trust needed). I am confident that in the right setting, you can get what you need. Good Luck!

2yng4this 10-26-2014 04:13 PM

Re: I need help talking to Dr about pain management

As far as me seeing a pain management Dr, no right now my Primary Dr prescribes most of my meds, except for the ones for my MS. (i.e. Aubagio, the Neurotin and Lyrica and muscle relaxers) simply because my PC doesn't know much about MS. I agree I'm going to have to go ahead and find a pain management Dr and just have the taxi take me. I don't drive anymore as I'm far to scatter brained plus my vision is pretty bad most days. I believe the closest one would be about 40-50 miles away. But how should I start the conversation? In my area I'm going to take a guess that at least 50-60% of people are addicted to pills, drugs or alcohol. That's exactly why I need help figuring out how to talk to him/her. My mind really screws up if I'm under much pressure and I don't want me to come across in a bad way. Thus far only my neuro and my psychologist are the only ones who have any idea about anything with MS. I'm one of only 4 people in the town I live in who have MS. One is mid 30's and is in an assisted living home, one lives at home with a round the clock nurse and the last one is in her 60's but hasn't had any problems in about 20 years. I try desperately to keep going to, but I have an extremely difficult time even standing up. Something has to give.