It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Meeting a new doctor next week. TERRIFIED.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
    Odesse
    (female)

Odesse HB UserOdesse HB UserOdesse HB User
    Unhappy Meeting a new doctor next week. TERRIFIED.

I've been in pain management for 7 years, at the current practice for 2 years this February. When I first started going here, there were two doctors. My doctor was wonderful. I actually looked forward to seeing him. He left in June and now I have to meet the other doctor (has been with this practice for at least 7 years). I've been seeing his NP since July and she has kept my meds the same because I'm doing well on the current dose.

As I was leaving my previous appointment (with the NP), the receptionist scheduled me with the doctor because "he just wants to meet his new patients." I knew this was going to happen eventually.

So now I'm terrified to meet him. I'm scared that my meds will be taken away. He gets horrible reviews on those review sites (and I know better than to trust everything you see online), but everyone I talk to face-to-face says, "Oh don't worry, he's great. You'll love him!" I sure hope so.

I'm dreading the appointment but want it over with at the same time. If I had a fast-forward button I would fast-forward right past it. I'm going to be shaking the whole time.

Anyway...I thought getting this out would help me feel better. Wish me luck, I guess?

The following 5 users give hugs of support to: Odesse
    ferd144 (11-08-2014),gmak (11-09-2014),itburns2004 (11-07-2014),karlee1010 (12-04-2014),momzworkin (11-07-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #2
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User
    Re: Meeting a new doctor next week. TERRIFIED.

I would believe the real life people before I believed the reviews-which are mopst often left by poeple who feel like they did not get their needs met.
    If your meds are doing well for you, why would he change them? I think it is kind of cool that he wants to take the time to actually MEET the patients he is supposed to be managing. YOu see the NP for the regualr appointments, but HE IS YOUR DOCTOR. He is responsible for you, not the NP, and if something happened to you how would it look for him to say he had no idea who you were as he had never met you?
    It doesn't sound like this has anything to do with you personally! Breathe. Relas, and go in there and be your usual charming self.
    :hug:
    09/2011: re-tore shoulder in PT- lost 30% function in shoulder
    06/2013: diagnosed with failure of L2-L3-L4

Old 11-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Agreed! I don't see anything in what you wrote that makes me think you have anything to worry about. Doctors in the same practice are typically like-minded when it comes to treatment approaches anyways, as they often collaborate, especially on tough cases. And if a treatment plan is working, unless they have a reason to believe it is inappropriate, they are unlikely to change it. Especially with your long history with the other doctor, I don't see anything to worry about. If you were seeing a doctor in a new practice, than yes that can be a bit scary. Few folks go online to write glowing reviews of doctors. Its mostly those who were dissatisfied. Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisegirl For This Useful Post:
    ferd144 (11-08-2014)
    Old 11-08-2014, 05:12 AM   #4
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

I agree with Tortoise girl about docs in a practice being like minded, I also agree that people don't generally take the time to praise a good doc and when patients are released for non compliance they often blame the doc and at that point the only thing they can do is bash the doc for doing what is best for the practice and the patients by weeding out those that refuse to comply with the rules. Ive always had the greatest respect for my docs and I once checked their reviews and saw the same type of bashing by a few patients that more than likely are upset with the docs for enforcing the rules. As long as you have been compliant and a model patient you should have nothing to worry about. You would likely have to give them a reason to stop all meds and it doesn't sound like that's the case. I know its stressful, I was just in that same position when the remaining doc qualified to manage pumps left the state and my old practice and I was forced to change practices, It went surprisingly well, I did have to see the new doc every month the first 3 months and do a UA each visit but within 4 months I was back to coming in every 90 days like I was at the old practice. Try not to think worse case scenario, their really is little reason to be concerned. If the PAs' and NPs' that work under that docs supervision have continued the treatment plan created by your old doc, their is no reason to think seeing him in person will change a thing. Let us know the good news when you find you worried so much for nothing as I did. Take care, Dave

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shoreline For This Useful Post:
    ferd144 (11-08-2014),karlee1010 (12-04-2014),Odesse (11-09-2014),tortoisegirl (11-08-2014)
    Old 11-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
    Odesse
    (female)

Odesse HB UserOdesse HB UserOdesse HB User

See, this is why I come here. You all have your heads on straighter than I do.

I guess I'm in the minority who actually leave positive reviews for doctors I really like. I looked up the doctor who left, the awesome one, and he gets terrible reviews, too!

Been a model patient for 7 years. No blips or slips. I had to get my breakthrough medication filled at a different pharmacy than usual last month because there's a shortage, but I called them, the nurse called me back and said I did the right thing - most of their patients were having the same problem - and they would put a note in my file that I called them to let them know.

I'm sure I'm worrying over nothing, but I had a bad experience with the pain practice I was seen at several years ago. Doctor changed and everyone was taken off of meds because they were going procedure-only. The place I'm going to now has been doing medication management for people in the area for a very long time, so I just keep telling myself that. No "policy changes" as far as I know!

I really am looking forward to letting you all know that I was worried for nothing!

Last edited by Odesse; 11-10-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #6
    BB07
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

Yeah-as others have already stated, if you are doing what you should be, you will most likely be fine. We tend to see and read a lot of bad things, like medication being stopped and bad reviews left......but, again, people get caught doing shady, non compliant activities-and, they lose their meds and their doctors.

Just keep in mind your doc, has rules that must be followed, he/she puts up with a lot of folks trying to get over on 'em, those must be weeded out-your PM sounds like they run a tight ship-with the best intentions for the folks with cp that really need help.

I would definitely stay clear of PM's who do procedures only-when you have been in PM long enough, you usually go through that stage anyhow before medications are used-the inj procedures simply don't help everyone-all reputable PM's know this.
    Sometimes a combination of meds and occasional inj procedure is beneficial to some patients with cp-everyone is different.

good luck

Old 12-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
    chemx
    (male)

chemx HB User

Well how did the new appointment go?

Old 12-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #8
    karlee1010
    (female)

karlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB User
    Wink Re: Meeting a new doctor next week. TERRIFIED.

Hi. My Pain Dr. of 2 years just left, and in his place came a "new" Dr. to me also. What Tortoisegirl said about most Drs. being "like-minded" really just clicked with me too. Even though in the obvious ways, "she" is not a "he", and also they both have different mannerisms and personalities, at first I got too pre-occupied with that, and didn't like my new Dr. Now that I see this, in the big picture of what's really important, both Drs. are very like-minded. Although she is much faster and not quite as patient, as long as I've communicated myself well, I'm not having any problems at all with having been switched. The first 3 months, I now realize, we were not communicating well with each other. As soon as I realized that she is much faster than him, and I didn't have enough time to discuss all I needed too with her, I adjusted my way of communicating. The end result, at today's appt., went wonderfully. Before, she just didn't have all the info she needed to consider what I was asking her. Or else I didn't even feel I had the time to share everything i needed to with her. Thank goodness, since both Drs. are like-minded with just enough pain relief for me to be productive, it all makes sense to me now that our main problem had been a lack of important information. Now that I know that, it's MY responsibility to make sure i've done all I can to communicate better with her in the future. I really don't think you'll have any problems at all with meeting this Dr., but, if you two do start off on the wrong foot like I did with mine, just take a little time to think of something that you can do to make your next appt. with him work out. Even if it's not your fault, but his, it's much more likely that by you adjusting something, you'll come out much better and later be very grateful you did. After all, it's all about YOUR quality of care in the first place. And, that's only if you go home feeling dissatisfied. Chances are it'll go much smoother than you're thinking now. You're worrying because it's so important to you, and that means that you'll do just fine. I'm the same way. Please don't forget to let us know, we all love good news here!

Old 12-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #9
    oldnbroken
    (female)

oldnbroken HB Useroldnbroken HB User

After reading all of you guys post about the poor medical care/pain management-I think God for my doctor and PA I have been seeing for over 12 years-Both are the greatest, most understanding men and if it wasn't for them I wouldn't be here today. I was lucky that I only had to deal with one pain doc that was a total bum head (to keep it clean) before I was sent to these guys by a good friend that is a physician himself and maybe that is half the reason my pain doc are so good to me is because of him and my past medical work history, but I also know for a fact they wouldn't risk themselves either if I wasn't compliant.

I wish all you folks could be seen by pain management doctors like me-being treated with respect, understand and proper pain management. I don't want to sound like I am bragging because I am not-I do understand what you are going through. I also understand both side being a patients and treating them while working in the medical field myself for over 30 years.

Most of you that post here are true people in pain seeking help, however, a few are only here to learn how to beat the system-You both know who you are, but understand, I do know some folks can also be judged in error as drug seeking when they are only seeking pain relief-a very fine line that can be confused, however, most doctors err on the side of caution in those cases.

Now days a pain management doctor medical malpractice insurance can run over 100k a year and goes up with law suits-not to mention lost income, lost license etc if DEA comes in and shut them down or a suit is filed after an OD...etc.....A good doctor won't risk everything for you and often why you find yourself out in the cold with one little slip and/or under medicated sometimes.
    Sorry, rambling...I do advocate for pain suffers, but I also advocate for the doctor too. I know and understand both side........

Closed Thread