It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• "Forced to Taper my Dose Down every Month"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
    karlee1010
    (female)

karlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB User
    "Forced to Taper my Dose Down every Month"

Hi. I hope this finds everyone doin pretty good today. Yesterday I went to my regular pain Dr. appt. Ok. So, 2 months ago, my Dr. took me off of Tramadol, saying that a new law passed that now considers it a Narcotic. Not happy, but, I get it. And then, the following 30 days my Dr. lowered my Fentanyl by 25 mcg. Again, not happy, but I get it. Strickter laws. I accepted it again, and am working with my Dr. Then yesterday, once again, my Dr. said we are going to knock you down on your Fentanyl again by 25 mcg. more. This time I told my Dr. that I understand the situation, but I'd had a few problems with more pain this past 30 days and would really appreciate staying at this same dose for 30 more days, and then I'll be willing to go down more next month. I had never yet asked to have my meds lessened, but feel I've had a good attitude about this as I've willingly accepted these changes both months. My Dr. answered me by saying that she's not going to be able to do it. I would be lessened with my Fentanyl, once again, by 25 mcg. more. The goal here is to knock off 25 mcg. every month with my Fentanyl patch. She said that I'm on a dose that's just way too high. Ok. For 2 years I've been seeing Dr. Stevens. And then, all of a sudden he gave notice saying that I wouldn't see him again, he's moving to Tucson. I stayed at this clinic, even tho it's a 3 hour drive round trip each month, because the one and only Pain Clinic in my small town is horrible. My first visit he flirted me, and saying that he knows my daughter, tried talking me into getting her to work for him in his office. After telling her (Just to warn her) she said, "No way, mom" Anyways, I called my insurance, asking for the next closest Pain Clinic to Lake Havasu City, where I live. And that's how I met Dr. Stevens. With the goal in mind on the first visit of eventually tapering off all medications, after seeing Dr. Stevens for 2 years, this is how I ended up getting this new Dr., a few months ago.

A big situation that's important to take into consideration is that I've had bleeding ulcers before, therefore, half of my stomach and intestines had to be removed in an emergency situation. And so now I can't take aspirin, Ibuprofen, or Naprosyn. So, Tramadol used to be a godsend to me.

So, right now, I guess my basic question would be: "Since I said "no" yesterday about not wanting to taper down that other 25 mcg. more, yet the Dr. still said' ' they were going to still taper me down more anyway, should I insist next month, if I'm still having more pain for THIS 30 day period?? I just am not sure how to handle this. I do feel I should have been asked how I feel about this at least. Originally, the plans were for my Dr. and myself to be in this together as a common goal. This is not the case now tho. I'm having alot of anxiety, feeling that all of a sudden, my pain management is not between my Dr. and myself, but, instead only my Dr.'s pain management. Any suggestions or ideas would be wonderful. Thank you friends.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2014, 05:41 AM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: "Forced to Taper my Dose Down every Month"

Hi Karlee, I get they me going to fast for your taste, unfortunately you saying no is little more than a suggestion. If he wants to do it he is the one in charge. He has no obligation to do anything other than what he feels is the correct way to proceed. Its not patient abandonment and your really have no recourse, Saying no may actually get you labeled as a seeker which your obviously not but hat could potentially harm your in the future. You can certainly reiterate that his is your goal too, and what difference does a month really make in the long term scheme of things. Good luck, It cant hurt to ask. Take care, Dave

Old 11-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #3
    Kass490
    (female)

Kass490 HB UserKass490 HB UserKass490 HB User

I would suggest that, if you can, you find another doctor before this one takes you off everything. They do go by what the previous docs have done and you may find yourself without any pain relief at all.
    And then, my friend, you will be up the creek without a paddle.
    If you are labeled a drug-seeker, no one will prescribe you anything.

PS: that flirting business and the thing with your daughter is way creepy. Next time, take a pocket recorder and get the creep on tape. He may be trying to get you in a very bad position ie sex for drugs

Old 11-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #4
    karlee1010
    (female)

karlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB User

Hi. Thank you, Dave. That's exactly what I was asking about. My plan is not to change Drs., I'm not even sure this is a bad thing. It just seems to be so fast. I am looking at it all differently now, and I really appreciate your response. My Dr. did mention that they're concerned my original Dr. there got me up too high on Fentanyl, and now my meds are causing me to have more pain. I forgot the term for this. I am going to "hang in there" and pray that this is the right move, and in the end, I just may end up in a better situation than I started out with. Who knows, by next summer, I may be very grateful for this decision and by then I'll be on a much lower dose of Fentanyl. That couldn't be all bad. It's just the "getting there" that's giving me the anxiety. Haha. Thank you again.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: karlee1010
    gmak (11-26-2014),tuloud54 (11-24-2014)
    Closed Thread