It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Percocet for energy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
    vpalleres
    (female)

vpalleres HB User
    Percocet for energy

I have been on and off pain meds for my back issue for a few years now. I have noticed that Percocet ends up giving me energy. After taking the meds for a week or so and the pain is gone.. and so is my energy level. I have started to take some pain meds when I am in need of that "energy boost" and not in pain. I know this is considered abusing the pain meds. I have never had an addiction to drugs, however, I find myself wanting the "energy boost" that I get from the pain meds. Does anyone else experience this? I often wonder if there is anything else out there that is not considered a narcotic, but gives you that energy boost... ugh.. I really hate this feeling. =(

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
    Re: Percocet for energy

Taking any medication for purposes other than it is intended is dangerous and leads down that slippery slope to misuse and addiction.
    Excercise increases your stamina, energy levels, and endurance because of the release of endorphins, by the physical activity.
    If I were you, I would find other means of increasing those natural energy boosters and staying away from the ones in the bottle, because sooner, rather than later, you will find that the ones in the bottle don't work as well anymore and you will need more and more to get a little of the "energy boost" , and you will be left dealing with a whole new set of problems .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to backhurtz For This Useful Post:
    karlee1010 (12-04-2014),tortoisegirl (12-03-2014)
    Old 12-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

I completely agree. It isn't an "energy" boost, you are high. High and high energy aren't the same thing.
    Exercise, a little extra caffeine, and being more social and not hiding in my pain give me more of the natural type energy you think you are feeling.
    Abusing the meds-using them for something they aren't meant to be used for-is crazy making. It is too easy to become addicted to them, love. Please be careful.
    09/2011: re-tore shoulder in PT- lost 30% function in shoulder
    06/2013: diagnosed with failure of L2-L3-L4

The Following User Says Thank You to momzworkin For This Useful Post:
    tortoisegirl (12-03-2014)
    Old 12-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #4
    rtfirefly
    (male)

rtfirefly HB Userrtfirefly HB User

If you're getting an energy boost because pain is reduced, this is not abuse. This is what these medications are supposed to do for you -- to allow you to become more functional due to reduced pain.

But if this energy boost you speak of is euphoria because the med is tickling your basal ganglia, then this is abuse.

So, be clear -- which is it?

Closed Thread