It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Joint pain a couple of months after starting oxycontin and oxycodone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
    Kat50
    (female)

Kat50 HB User
    Joint pain a couple of months after starting oxycontin and oxycodone

I was prescribed oxycontin and oxycodone a few months ago for pain related to a bad breast cancer surgery that severed several nerves. I have recently stared having a lot of joint and muscle pain. I can't hardly get out of bed in the morning until I take my medication. Walking and moving is extremely painful.
    Has anyone else had this happen? Could it be the oxy? Will it resolve after I stop it?
    Thanks
    Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
    Re: Joint pain a couple of months after starting oxycontin and oxycodone

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kat50 View Post
    I was prescribed oxycontin and oxycodone a few months ago for pain related to a bad breast cancer surgery that severed several nerves. I have recently stared having a lot of joint and muscle pain. I can't hardly get out of bed in the morning until I take my medication. Walking and moving is extremely painful.
    Has anyone else had this happen? Could it be the oxy? Will it resolve after I stop it?
    Thanks
    Kat
    Hi Kat, I grab my medicine bag first thing almost every morning to take my long acting timed released medicine for pain because i wake up in so much pain. Mine is back pain, arachnoiditis, post 4 back surgeries pain & I certainly can relate to your post and pain! I don't think its very likely that the pain medicine would be causing increased pain but we all react to medications so differently it might be possible. Have you asked the prescribing dr or the pharmacist about it yet? It's so hard to move around a lot when in severe pain and sometimes i get better from moving around more throughout the day and other times I get really stiff and sore if a medicine sedates me too much and I have to just laze around because I'm too sleepy or the pain isn't controlled enough to move much. I take an adjunct medicine that really helps my nerve pain called Lyrica, it helps me so much & there are several other adjunct meds that are non narcotic; cymbalta, neurontin, topomax etc. I am so sorry that you are hurting and had to have bad breast cancer surgery. Do you take the OxyContin before bed or in the morning? Is it possible with the level of pain you are having to just stop the oxy as you mentioned because perhaps the dr could first try a different medicine for your pain? I hope so and hope that you find pain relief very soon! God bless you!

Last edited by gmak; 12-27-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Welcome! I'd discuss it with your doctor. Apparently increased pain, especially unspecified achiness, could be a sign of opiate-induced hyperalgesia. With that condition, the pain would typically decrease with a decrease in opiate dosage. Trying a different pain medication regimen is also a good idea. Of course it would also be good to rule out any new medical conditions/diagnoses. Best wishes.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
    123rsdsufferer
    (female)

123rsdsufferer HB User123rsdsufferer HB User123rsdsufferer HB User

Welcome! I am so sorry you are suffering from a botched surgery. This hits very close to my heart as I'm in chronic pain from a botched surgery too. Not only is their the physical pain but the emotional pain as well.

I would definitely get in contact with the prescribing dr and let him know what is going on. Let him do his job and figure it out. Nerve pain is one of the worst pains in my opinion and it sounds like your dr understands pain which is half the battle.

Please keep us posted.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
    Kylekat
    Inactive
    (female)

Kylekat HB UserKylekat HB User

Hi,

Muscle pain is listed as one of Oxy's least reported side effects, which means a few people somewhere had muscle pain, but its not common and shouldn't affect your joints.

But...your taking the same meds for your LA med and your SA med, both Oxycodone, and some bodies just don't like that much narcotic. OI Hyperalgesia is a real thing that can occur, there's also rebound pain and referred pain. Heavy Narcotics can do some nasty work on the body.

Have you discussed this with your Dr.? If not you should and perhaps see about changing one of your meds so your not on an Oxycodone regimen only. You might check with your Dr.'s nurse in the meantime to see if you can take Ibuprofen for the joint pain until you can get in with your Dr. that and really hot baths can help quite a bit for joint pain.

Take care,

KK

Closed Thread

Tags
    joint pain, oxycodone, oxycontin