It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Chronic Pain Patient to the ER

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2015, 09:21 AM   #16
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Chronic Pain Patient to the ER

Quite honestly, the one thing I have learned, just by trying many different meds and for many different "types of pain I have such as a lot of the topicals, and using either heat or ice and other types of "back up tools" for my pain, is you go with what works. I too use ice to help with pain control for mostly the RSD pain too. It is ONLY in trying various ways to manage what I have as many different areas in my body, over time that GIVES us the different ways to manage to at least take the edges off our pain and make them much more tolerable(on a good day). You can never rely just solely on narcotics, they are just another "adjunct" added to many other ways. The other ways are just true back ups in the event things get beyond our "tolerable levels", With these other ways, I have never had to go to the ER for my pain control. My PM actually recommends going to the ER if my pain gets too much for me, so that would help.

I really don't know why ice appears to work for RSD pain, but I am sure there are others who cringe at the thought of placing any cold on their particular process too. The best "luck' I have had is the ice, my TENS unit, and prednisone. The pred was recently added like two years ago. It is more of an "as needed" type of med that I am thankful we have tried. While I use it very sparingly, oh my God, when things are really hitting the fan, it sure does come in handy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #17
    123rsdsufferer
    (female)

123rsdsufferer HB User123rsdsufferer HB User123rsdsufferer HB User
    Re: Chronic Pain Patient to the ER

Since the dr has added on Monday this second round of high dose steroids 60 mg., it has made a big difference in my pain. I can't believe that I am now able to move/shift positions while sitting in the recliner without those zapper nerve pains jolting thru the back and abdomen. I still have the constant nerve pain in my right leg and foot but I can deal with a 5/6 on the pain scale. If I get up and start moving around, the nerve pain shoots up in the legs and feet to a constant fire burning feeling - it feels like someone is tearing the skin off in layers - and I am walking on hot pieces of glass. Moving around brings the pain up to a 9 so for now I am happy to sit in my recliner to keep my pain at the 5/6 level. Hopefully a few more days of the steroids and all will be much better.

Thank you so much Feelbad for your note the other day. I am sorry you suffer from the RSD too. There is nothing like it.

The following user gives a hug of support to 123rsdsufferer:
    tortoisegirl (01-09-2015)
    Closed Thread