It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Anxious Life Is Meaningless

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #1
    TimidZiggy
    (female)

TimidZiggy HB User
    Anxious Life Is Meaningless

This morning I was browsing posts on my blog and I saw a post that triggered me into this anxious spiral that's lasted all day. It was a post about how this person thought life was meaningless. Now I don't actually think that at least not on a good day. However today is a bad day for me and I keep freaking out about this. I question a lot if life is pointless but on a good day I know that there is no way of knowing that. However today I can't seem to convince myself that it's not true. That things are pointless.

Now, I don't suffer from depression at all, this is pure anxiety I know because I'm sitting here fearing that I will get so depressed I will lose all hope.

Three weeks ago I started Prozac but it was upsetting my stomach so bad I did a week at 5mgs, now I've been on 10mgs for 8 days, that's not even a high dose right? It has helped (as I've noticed a difference a lot of the time) but I'm unsure if side effects should be THIS bad still. I have 6 more days on 10mgs then I will go up to 20mgs permanently. I know it can take up to 8 weeks for a complete change and 4 for a significant change (just not complete) but it seems like on prozac I have more bad days than good. Yesterday was a great day I was energetic and I felt fine. Today I've been WAY too tired, anxious, and terrified.

I have OCD/Intrusive thought problems and I'm sure this is just part of this but I don't know how to stop it or if it's normal for prozac to cause these feelings when starting them. I see my doctor on the 21st but that's like 5 days from now so can anyone tell me anything about this? Has anyone felt this before? Could these side effects still just be the prozac?

Side effects include:
    Extreme Fatigue (but also combined with restlessness some how)
    Some stomach upset (not as bad as it was when I started, getting better)
    Lack of energy/motivation (Which I never had before going on the prozac)

The prozac makes me feel like I'm depressed because it sedates me so much, it makes me SO TIRED.
    I've seen the same therapist for 10 years, depression has never come up. It's always just been anxiety. I read that Prozac can mimic depression when starting it up but this feels awful. What am I supposed to do? I took Prozac about 3 years ago (went off of it) but only because I wanted to, Prozac did work for me before, is there a chance it won't work again? The doctor says it will work if it worked before but message boards say that no it won't. Can anyone help?

Last edited by Administrator; 07-14-2015 at 10:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
    anxiousbelgian
    (female)

anxiousbelgian HB User
    Re: Anxious Life Is Meaningless

Omg I hope you are still hanging around this forum so we can chat, cause your entire story is EXACTLY like what I've been going through.
    I don't know Prozac, I've been on antidepressants in the past called Sipralexa, but I've been off them for about 2,5 years. A couple of months ago my anxiety started creeping back up, and the past couple of weeks it has gotten pretty bad on occassion. I do also have good days though, but this huuuuuge fear of life being meaningless and depression is always sort of lingering whenever I'm in this very anxious phase.
    Whenever I feel bad (which happens often, because anxiety is not something that's supposed to feel good) this fear gets even worse 'cause somehow in my failed logic, I think feeling bad means I'm going to tumble into depression right then and there.
    I am trying not to go on antidepressants this time around (this really bad anxiety usually only shows up once every couple of years), but I am seeing a therapist again.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-14-2015 at 10:20 PM.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
    Joel584
    (male)

Joel584 HB User

Well prozac is prescribed mainly for depression along with ocd. Most of us with anxiety don't feel depressed but we do have depression. As far as all those side effects you mentioned, they seem normal due to the drug. My ex girlfriend use to take prozac and she always felt fatigue and irritable. Maybe try talking to your doctor about talking something else. I use to take lexapro and it worked great but I have GAD (generalized anxiety disorder). Sadly I stopped taking meds and im reverting back into my anxiety and panic attacks but now I am trying a natural route with natural vitamins etc. Good luck to the both of you with your anxiety.

Last edited by msmod; 09-16-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
    Dreamland
    (female)

Dreamland HB User

In my personal experience I have tried Prozac for depression about 11 years ago and I will tell you I also got horrible stomach aches and diarrhea so I think that's normal but it only lasted a week. The pill did not help me but I've heard of a lot of people that it did help so hang in there. Not very informative I know, but just saying how it affected me. Sometimes people (like myself) who I also suffer from extreme anxiety just need a much much stronger medication. Listen to your doctor but mostly go with your own intuition. You know yourself better than anyone.

Last edited by msmod; 10-06-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, medications, prozac, side effects