It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Scared to take lexapro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2003, 08:10 AM   #1
    ballas

ballas HB User
    Scared to take lexapro

I got a prescription from my doctor I told him i needed something for my anxiety. He gave me some samples of lexapro. I looked it up on the internet and i dont think its the thing for me. Its for people that are depressed and i am not depressed. I just feel tense all the time and i sometimes have panic attacks. My friend took this medication and he said he did not like the way it worked for him. I realize everones body is different but i dont think this stuff is for me. I have tried xanax before and it has worked but everyone says it is too addictive. Should i try to get it prescribed to me? Is there anything else out there that is just for anxiety? Also, does excercise help out with anxiety? Thanks

Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2003, 08:21 AM   #2
    chrislvj

chrislvj HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ballas
    I got a prescription from my doctor I told him i needed something for my anxiety. He gave me some samples of lexapro. I looked it up on the internet and i dont think its the thing for me. Its for people that are depressed and i am not depressed. I just feel tense all the time and i sometimes have panic attacks. My friend took this medication and he said he did not like the way it worked for him. I realize everones body is different but i dont think this stuff is for me. I have tried xanax before and it has worked but everyone says it is too addictive. Should i try to get it prescribed to me? Is there anything else out there that is just for anxiety? Also, does excercise help out with anxiety? Thanks

Matt
    matt,

antidepression med works for anxiety and depression. because it's your thoughts that create it,whether it anxiety or depression, it begins with your thoughts.this med is great for helping you with controlling your thoughts.

xanas is very addicting,and it doesn't solve any problems. it covers your disorter very well, but it's not made to be given everyday. most doctors i know will not prescibe it for every-day use. the real help comes from you. you are your own lock and key to your own recovery. it's you who causes it,and your the only one who can get rid of it. have you look into other options other then med?

chris

ps. exercise is very helpful with anxiety!!!very important.

Last edited by chrislvj; 11-18-2003 at 08:24 AM.

Old 11-18-2003, 08:26 AM   #3
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    When I was having panic attacks, Xanax was the only thing that worked for me.
    I took it for a very long time and never became dependent or tolorent.
    But, some people do.
    Everyone is different.

I tried other things...not only medication...but nothing else worked.
    Well, that's not really true, I did and still do go to a self-help group and that helped me a lot.
    It isn't run by a Doctor, it's just a group of people who suffer...or have in the past... with panic attacks, OCD and depression.
    Some have all three, some don't.

The best advice I can give you is, talk to your Doctor about how you're feeling about taking the Lexapro and see if he thinks something else...medication or otherwise...would work for you.

Old 11-18-2003, 08:58 AM   #4
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
    OMG I am in the same exact position! My doctors wanted to put me on Zoloft but my insurance won't pay for it so they gave me samples of lexapro. I was also given Xanax for the attacks themselves. The Xanax rocks, it actually does what it is supposed to do, lets you relax and breath! So I took the Xanax for 2 days as prescribed and then started the Lexapro, what a mistake. My husband was leary of Lexapro because of the same reasons you are, just didn't seem right for me. And boy was he right. that sh#t sent me for such a head trip. talk about a constant panic attack, my thoughts were racing, I couldn't sleep, i had that not in my gut, i was sweating and just wanted to be curled up in a ball and not to be touched. It lasted a little over 24 hours. now, i am not saying this will happen to you because your body make up is yours and only you know your body, but it was a horrible experience for me. I am still taking the Xanax, only .25 mg once or twice a day, and my doctors are going to keep me on it for a couple of months as my panic attacks are kind of a new thing, but are basically gone with the Xanax. I am not too worried about being addicted to it as I am recieveing a fairly low dose under supervision. I am also starting counseling to be more proactive about this problem. I would listen to your gut on this one. Good luck to you and best wishes

Old 11-18-2003, 02:31 PM   #5
    ballas

ballas HB User
    Thanks for your comments, I just do not think that the lexapro is what i need. I have taken xanax a couple of times for my attacks and they work. I dont know if i am gonna take them or not but if it continues i am gonna go to another doctor and get a 2nd opinion. Thanks for your help.

Matt

Old 11-19-2003, 01:01 AM   #6
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User
    Quote:
    Thanks for your comments, I just do not think that the lexapro is what i need. I have taken xanax a couple of times for my attacks and they work. I dont know if i am gonna take them or not but if it continues i am gonna go to another doctor and get a 2nd opinion. Thanks for your help.

Matt
    Those who have posted here are right, many anti'd's work for anxiety & depression. It's a matter of finding the right one. I had the exact same reactions to Lexapro, but have read others who swear by it, the only way to know is to try it. I have xanax, have had it for years for emergencies, but it always left me jittery & shakey when it wore off. My doc switched me to Klonopin which works longer & does not leave me shakey when it wears off. You may want to talk to your doctor about an alternative to xanax.

Old 11-19-2003, 02:26 AM   #7
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User
    [QUOTE=ballas]I got a prescription from my doctor I told him i needed something for my anxiety. He gave me some samples of lexapro. I looked it up on the internet and i dont think its the thing for me. Its for people that are depressed and i am not depressed. I just feel tense all the time and i sometimes have panic attacks. My friend took this medication and he said he did not like the way it worked for him. I realize everones body is different but i dont think this stuff is for me. I have tried xanax before and it has worked but everyone says it is too addictive. Should i try to get it prescribed to me? Is there anything else out there that is just for anxiety? Also, does excercise help out with anxiety? Thanks

Hi there

I just wanted to tell you that I am on Lexapro(10mg), and it is working great for me. It takes almost two weeks to get in your system so taking one for the first time shouldn't give you any reactions. Also, I've noticed if I take my klonopin(which is like xanex but longer lasting and less addictive), too close to taking my Lexapro, it makes me feel like I just drank a pot of coffee. It wasn't a bad reaction at all. I just space it out now and I am doing fine.

I had severe panic attacks with the uncontrollable shaking(especially my legs), and lots lots more, and I feel that the Lexapro is a good choice for panic attacks. In fact, it is mostly used for that.

I started on a low dose because I am very sensitive to medications and it took me a little while to get everything adjusted, but I'm fine now. I'm very relaxed and calm and it also gives me a little energy too. Which is great for me.

We are all scared when we start a new medication, especailly if we have panic attacks. My attacks started with two medications that made me hallucinate and see the walls moving. So, you know I am scared to take medication.

I have pretty much taken them all, and to me Lexapro is the best. If you get off of Paxil too fast, it gives you very, very bad side affects, and Prozac made me too spacey. But, that is me. Lots of others did well with Prozac.

Just trust your doctor because he knows whats best for you hun. Most of us have to try a few before we get that "right" one that works so well. I'm telling you, whatever you choose, once it starts working, you will feel so much better.

I couldn't sleep in my room after my panic attack because it happened in there and I thought I was seriously dying. I told my kids I loved them cause I thought I wouldn't see them again. I was even admitted in the hospital for 7 days(because of the reaction to the medications). But ever since I've taken Lexapro, it has gotten me back in my room again. I used to sleep with the room light on, lol, but now I just put a lamp on in the living room. So, I am gradually getting better and it hasn't even been two months yet that I have been on Lexapro.

Good Luck Hun,
    Chantel

Old 11-19-2003, 06:54 AM   #8
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
    [QUOTE=Chantel2003]
    Quote:

Hi there

I just wanted to tell you that I am on Lexapro(10mg), and it is working great for me. It takes almost two weeks to get in your system so taking one for the first time shouldn't give you any reactions. Also, I've noticed if I take my klonopin(which is like xanex but longer lasting and less addictive), too close to taking my Lexapro, it makes me feel like I just drank a pot of coffee. It wasn't a bad reaction at all. I just space it out now and I am doing fine.

I had severe panic attacks with the uncontrollable shaking(especially my legs), and lots lots more, and I feel that the Lexapro is a good choice for panic attacks. In fact, it is mostly used for that.

I started on a low dose because I am very sensitive to medications and it took me a little while to get everything adjusted, but I'm fine now. I'm very relaxed and calm and it also gives me a little energy too. Which is great for me.

We are all scared when we start a new medication, especailly if we have panic attacks. My attacks started with two medications that made me hallucinate and see the walls moving. So, you know I am scared to take medication.

I have pretty much taken them all, and to me Lexapro is the best. If you get off of Paxil too fast, it gives you very, very bad side affects, and Prozac made me too spacey. But, that is me. Lots of others did well with Prozac.

Just trust your doctor because he knows whats best for you hun. Most of us have to try a few before we get that "right" one that works so well. I'm telling you, whatever you choose, once it starts working, you will feel so much better.

I couldn't sleep in my room after my panic attack because it happened in there and I thought I was seriously dying. I told my kids I loved them cause I thought I wouldn't see them again. I was even admitted in the hospital for 7 days(because of the reaction to the medications). But ever since I've taken Lexapro, it has gotten me back in my room again. I used to sleep with the room light on, lol, but now I just put a lamp on in the living room. So, I am gradually getting better and it hasn't even been two months yet that I have been on Lexapro.

Good Luck Hun,
    Chantel
    Wow chantel, that is a great story, congrats on your continued success! I guess maybe i took the lexapro too close together with the xanax, but it was just horrible for me. I also think that I am going to die, pretty much all the time. I got an infection after my son was born in my colon that almost did kill me. now i think it is going to come back, and any tummy ache or pain over there sets me off into a PA. I have had blood work done and everything looks good they say, it's all in my head.

Old 11-19-2003, 02:51 PM   #9
    Comptons
    Veteran

Comptons HB User
    I've been off Lexapro for a few months now and coming off of it is not fun. I can only caution you to consider this before beginning to take it. It worked okay for me but the withdrawal sucked (couldn't concentrate, severe migraines, light flashes, just doped up feeling). Xanax as needed is a lot better in my opinion.

Old 11-21-2003, 01:18 AM   #10
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User
    Re: Scared to take lexapro

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyxin
    Wow chantel, that is a great story, congrats on your continued success! I guess maybe i took the lexapro too close together with the xanax, but it was just horrible for me. I also think that I am going to die, pretty much all the time. I got an infection after my son was born in my colon that almost did kill me. now i think it is going to come back, and any tummy ache or pain over there sets me off into a PA. I have had blood work done and everything looks good they say, it's all in my head.
    Hi hun,

I'm so sorry about what happened to you. I have colitis which is not even near what you went through, but I know how you feel about being scared. I always think I'm going to get cancer one day. My next door neighbor has colitis and got cancer, so it freaked me out, lol.

I am much more relaxed now though and don't worry nearly as much as I used too. I can give you a worry list 10 pages long that I don't worry about anymore.

It could be that the Lexapro wasn't right for you too. I had to try a few before I found the right one. Good luck on your search and thank you for your compliment.

Chantel

Old 11-21-2003, 05:24 AM   #11
    LJ74

LJ74 HB User

Quote:

Matt

I LOVE xanax for my panic! Also, just got Zoloft and LOVE that too ;-)

Old 11-21-2003, 11:00 AM   #12
    macuser

macuser HB User

Quote:

Matt
    Matt - I take Xanax for my panic attacks and have done so for several years (when needed--not on a daily basis). I started taking Lexapro in January to see if this new SSRI drug would help me and I decided last month to stop taking it since I was still having panic attacks (I think even worse panic attacks than usual). I stopped taking Lexapro about 3 weeks ago after talking to my doctor. I was on 10mgs a day and stopped cold turkey before talking to my doctor. WHAT A MISTAKE!!! I went through horrible withdrawal--mostly dizziness (almost vertigo). I then called my doctor and he advised me to cut down to 5mgs a day for 7 days and then stop taking the Lexapro. That is what I did and now have been completely off for one week. Still feel some dizziness (which makes me panic) but am feeling better everyday. Like you, I don't feel that Lexapro is for me. I did try this drug, though, for 10 months--to give it some time. I have tried all of the other ones (Zoloft, Paxil, etc.) and they were so awful I couldn't stand them for more than a few days. Lexapro was okay at first but as the months progressed, it started to make me feel strange. I had really weird, vivid dreams on that stuff as well. Needless to day, I am now off Lexapro and am starting to feel like myself again and just have decided to live with the fact that when I have a panic attack (or feel panic coming on), I have my Xanax to get me through. Hope you have a great holiday. Alex

Closed Thread