It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Need advice on handling breakthrough panic and anxiety attacks.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-19-2003, 10:15 AM   #1
    luvae

luvae HB User
    Post Need advice on handling breakthrough panic and anxiety attacks.

I have been diagnosed with depression, panic & anxiety disorder and adult add. I have always been labeled as the "shy one" amongst my siblings. But it wasn't until I was 14 that I started having real problems. I was having anxiety and panic attacks so bad that I quit school and never went farther than our mailbox. When my parents would have dinner guests, I would not come to the table because I was scared that I would either choke on my food, someone would hear my stomach rumble, or a burp or passing gas. I would stay up in my room until everyone was gone. My parents didn't quite know what to make of it. They tried to take me to therapy but I refused because of the social anxiety. After about a year or so I finally got myself out of the house and even got my first job, though I ended up quitting 4 days later because of anxiety and panic. I ended up taking care of 2 kids in my parents home for money. Slowly I got better and better until I fell into a deep depression when my then boyfriend, who was a Marine, was going to be deployed for several months. I was then put on Paxil and things started to look up. When he got back I stopped taking the meds and was fine, at least until the next time he was deployed. I was put back on Paxil. After the birth of my first child, I started having anxiety and panic attacks again. It was to the point where if my daughter got off her schedule in any way I would have a panic attack. The doctors increased my dose. That worked for a while and then seemed to have no effect. I tried Celexa and Prozac but all had the same outcome. All this time the only thing I was diagnosed with was depression. It wasn't until I was in my mid-twenties that I was diagnosed with panic and anxiety disorder. Since being diagnosed with adult add 2 months ago I am taking a combination of meds. Zoloft (150mg), Wellbutrin(100mg) and Adderall(20mg). Since starting this combination, I have lots more energy to do things with my kids and am able to keep a somewhat clean house. Though I still have the occasional breakthrough panic and/or anxiety episode. If anyone has any advice on how to deal with any of the things I have touched on please let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2003, 01:14 PM   #2
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
    Re: Need advice on handling breakthrough panic and anxiety attacks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvae
    I have been diagnosed with depression, panic & anxiety disorder and adult add. I have always been labeled as the "shy one" amongst my siblings. But it wasn't until I was 14 that I started having real problems. I was having anxiety and panic attacks so bad that I quit school and never went farther than our mailbox. When my parents would have dinner guests, I would not come to the table because I was scared that I would either choke on my food, someone would hear my stomach rumble, or a burp or passing gas. I would stay up in my room until everyone was gone. My parents didn't quite know what to make of it. They tried to take me to therapy but I refused because of the social anxiety. After about a year or so I finally got myself out of the house and even got my first job, though I ended up quitting 4 days later because of anxiety and panic. I ended up taking care of 2 kids in my parents home for money. Slowly I got better and better until I fell into a deep depression when my then boyfriend, who was a Marine, was going to be deployed for several months. I was then put on Paxil and things started to look up. When he got back I stopped taking the meds and was fine, at least until the next time he was deployed. I was put back on Paxil. After the birth of my first child, I started having anxiety and panic attacks again. It was to the point where if my daughter got off her schedule in any way I would have a panic attack. The doctors increased my dose. That worked for a while and then seemed to have no effect. I tried Celexa and Prozac but all had the same outcome. All this time the only thing I was diagnosed with was depression. It wasn't until I was in my mid-twenties that I was diagnosed with panic and anxiety disorder. Since being diagnosed with adult add 2 months ago I am taking a combination of meds. Zoloft (150mg), Wellbutrin(100mg) and Adderall(20mg). Since starting this combination, I have lots more energy to do things with my kids and am able to keep a somewhat clean house. Though I still have the occasional breakthrough panic and/or anxiety episode. If anyone has any advice on how to deal with any of the things I have touched on please let me know.
    Hi Luvae-
    I can relate to all the things except giving birth I suffered for many years and was on lots of different meds that helped but did not cure all of my problems. I am now med free and panic attack free thanks to the tools I learned in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). It is said to be about 85% effective in curing panic attacks and has changed my life Many on here have had similar successes with CBT and share their experiences here as well. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz and many universities offer CBT programs for little or no charge so you may want to check with the ones in your area. I hope this is helpful

Billy

Old 12-19-2003, 05:09 PM   #3
    luvae

luvae HB User

Billy,

Thank you very much for the advice. I will be sure to look into CBT. Maybe I'll be in that lucky 85%.

Luvae

Last edited by luvae; 12-19-2003 at 05:10 PM.

Old 12-24-2003, 10:56 AM   #4
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvae
    Billy,

Thank you very much for the advice. I will be sure to look into CBT. Maybe I'll be in that lucky 85%.

Luvae
    You're welcome and I hope so too Luvae But it's not luck, you have to put some effort in using the tools and if you do I am confident you will be part of that 85%

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-24-2003, 04:45 PM   #5
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

I agree that learning relaxation and CBT will help a lot, any book about overcoming agoraphobia or panic disorder will help
    breakthru panics can be dealt with by disolving any valium type med under the tongue, these go well with your other meds

also remember that deep slow breathing will always calm you down, try some now...

Old 01-05-2004, 05:42 PM   #6
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hry33
    I agree that learning relaxation and CBT will help a lot, any book about overcoming agoraphobia or panic disorder will help
    breakthru panics can be dealt with by disolving any valium type med under the tongue, these go well with your other meds

also remember that deep slow breathing will always calm you down, try some now...
    Happy New Year Hry33

Closed Thread