HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Panic Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/panic-disorders/)
-   -   Regarding Zoloft and other SSRIs (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/panic-disorders/139258-regarding-zoloft-other-ssris.html)

KayT 01-03-2004 09:20 PM

Regarding Zoloft and other SSRIs

I was reading on the drug interaction forum about Zoloft, since I have been taking it for 8 days now.............and noticed it had been mentioned that it was on that forum quite often as a topic........

I read thru many of the posts and there was good and bad said about this drug. Withdrawal I think is an obvious concern with all SSRIs, look at my recent struggle with Paxil/Celexa withdrawal, it was no fun........

I don't want to start any back and forth regarding which med is better or worse, just point out that what works for one might not work for another. And just like myself and all of my fear lately over the Paxil issues, I think people are much more likely to come here in fear and post their negative results rather then positive ones.

My conclusion is that I can't judge how this will work for me based on what is has done for others. It certainly helps to see what it might or might not do to me, but in reality it might do something completely different with me, give me different SEs or maybe make me feel better then ever................

I hope that people going on these boards don't read my own negative comments about Paxil and therefore decide not to give it a try. We have to all remember that our bodies are all different and we won't react the same to these drugs.............and man could I post a duzey on Paxil withdrawal over there in the drug interaction forum.........but I'm not going to........because I might scare someone who is trying to get better by taking it..........and remember I took Paxil five years ago and did fine with it.........Obviously my body changed and now I cannot tolerate Paxil as well...........

As far as withdrawal, all of the SSRIs have to be tapered and I'm sure our bodies and brains have to adjust, and how fast they do that also would probably depend on the person and the situation at hand........I think the bottom line is we all need to be told that when we start taking these meds that going off them can be tough and that we have to make that choice before we start taking them.........wouldn't it be nice if all the docs actually let us know that in advance???

Man I am thinking and rambling tonight,

I just started to let some of the negative over in that forum scare me and then realized, heck, I had to withdrawal from Paxil and am still going through it...........so why would it surprise me that Zoloft may have withdrawal as well??

Kaytee:-)

I know Sickman, you're not sure how you feel about Zoloft, and I knew you might not be thrillled when I started it, but the SEs are much less then the Paxil and maybe although some over in drug interaction didn't like it, and some did, it might work for me..............

Some12 01-03-2004 10:50 PM

Re: Regarding Zoloft and other SSRIs

Dear KayT,
You finally get it. You are the master of your own disorder. Congradulations, you are thinking positive for yourself now and making your own decisions as to what is right or wrong for you. Our conditions although the same disorder are as different as our fingerprints in the treatment of them. We can only do the best we can to support others with information and our own opinion, nothing more. I am so glad to see that you are getting past this in such a positive manner. Keep going. No fear.

Sincerely,

Sickman :)

hry33 01-04-2004 05:10 PM

I got lots of help for my anxiety and panic attacks from SSRI or paxil type meds, eventually I stopped after several years with very few withdrawl problems and the anxiety hasnt returned

KayT 01-05-2004 01:35 PM

[QUOTE=Sickman]Dear KayT,
You finally get it. You are the master of your own disorder. Congradulations, you are thinking positive for yourself now and making your own decisions as to what is right or wrong for you. Our conditions although the same disorder are as different as our fingerprints in the treatment of them. We can only do the best we can to support others with information and our own opinion, nothing more. I am so glad to see that you are getting past this in such a positive manner. Keep going. No fear.

Sincerely,

Sickman :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think I do get it. I went back to work today..........and was very nervous...........but handled it.............took my Xanax this am and again around 2pm..........so that helped I'm sure.............I still feel a bit of this nagging thing with the fear that this concentration thing won't go away.........but then I tell myself to keep on going and it will get better............Sickman.........the doc told me it could be a month before my head feels clear again........does this sound reasonable???
I truly don't think the Zoloft is doing this to me, because it was the Paxil that gave me the brain fog to begin with, but after time and my body adjusts this should wear off and be better correct??? Just wanted your oppinion on that one........so far the Zoloft has calmed me and the panic is pretty much gone.........just feeling a little twinge trying to creep in here and there.........but as the Zoloft builds in my system I'm sure that will ease up as well...........I am up to 50mg of Zoloft and plan to stay there a while to see if that can do the trick..........

I think at this point my brain and body are very tired............I am sleeping better, my appetite is back and although I want my head to feel clear again it is better then it was..............

Took the kids rollerskating yesterday and actually put on some skates and gave it a whirl............I didn't do so bad considering it's been a long while since I've tried it.........probably fifteen or sixteen years old...........

I can either let his conquer me and put me down........of which my cousin always tells me I can fall down and try to give up but I just have to get back up and keep on keeping on............although all of this scared me at first.......I know you saw that in my posts..........and I am still a bit scared...........but also know that things can get better...........

BTW, the pdoc that I saw once called to see me again tomorow.........remember he wanted to increase the Paxil even with all of my horrid side effects..............and I politely said no thank you and cancelled..........

My work was glad to see me back..........but are going to put something in my file for my absenses............of which I understand and am not going to worry about it............what happens happens...........

The fact is I made it through today and did good...........

Some12 01-05-2004 07:20 PM

Dear KayT,
I doesn't matter anymore if it is the paxil or temporary side effects going onto the zoloft. Push ahead and remember, a few ups and downs are not failure, but adjustment. If you get into a small problem at work, go to the restroom and get control of it. You can deal with this and I was surprized about swimming but roller skating thats just amazing. Of course they are going to put something in your file about this, they are trying to cover their butt, because you can turn this into a work related and caused problem, so they are documenting things. Don't worry about it but document what they do also. This is just in case it turns into a illegal labor action. But you are right, what happens, happens. Your health is the most important part and you need to nip it now so you are employable period. You are doing very well and I expect you will be going sky diving tomorrow or something like that right? Keep up the positive management and bless you for your not giving up on this struggle.

Sincerely,

KayT 01-06-2004 03:05 PM

Okay, no sky diving today........some stress at work and some panic...........but I'm still here and functioning...........I know that I have only been on the Zoloft for 10 days now and it needs more time to work so I will continue with the Xanax three times a day for a while and see how that goes...........I know that my brain has a lot of adjusting to do..........and can say I am better then I was a week ago........it's just easy to forget sometimes that this takes time to heal...........time to calm down and time for me to see a huge difference...........although my friends and family say I seem like I'm doing a lot better.............that's a good sign..........and you Sickman say I am writing calmer..........so that is a good sign as well............10 days off Paxil and hanging in............Kaytee:-)

Some12 01-06-2004 08:35 PM

Dear KayT,
Roll On!

Sincerely,

KayT 01-10-2004 10:27 AM

Roll On!

Sincerely,

Hi Sickman,

I'm rollin on........actually need to get off the net and get some housework done........get busy.........but I have a question for you or anyone who might have a thought on this.........

This agitation thing that started with me around Wednesday is concerning me. I called my doctor and she said it is from the withdrawal........and to take the extra 1mg of Xanax..........she gave me the okay to take four a day.......but I've been only taking three.......it does take the edge off.......but I still feel the agitation there.........she says it is not the Zoloft causing this so not to even go there..........she knows me to well.............anyhow, any suggestions? Or do I have to just tough this out? If I take the Xanax four times a day how do you suggest I spread that out? It's a 5-7 hour med..........so right now I'm taking it around 8am then 2pm then 9pm............and do you think this would help??? I know your not the doc, but you know a lot about Xanax with your experience and I would like this agitation crap to go away..........

BTW I decided last night after reading your OCD post that each time I get worried about losing it or not making it through this or going bezerk.......you know.......those scary thoughts we get that aren't really going to happen...........I am going to say "This is BS" and think of this forum and how many others have had the same thoughts and fears.........and they didn't happen............

Thanks my friend,

Some12 01-10-2004 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=KayT]Hi Sickman,

I'm rollin on........actually need to get off the net and get some housework done........get busy.........but I have a question for you or anyone who might have a thought on this.........

This agitation thing that started with me around Wednesday is concerning me. I called my doctor and she said it is from the withdrawal........and to take the extra 1mg of Xanax..........she gave me the okay to take four a day.......but I've been only taking three.......it does take the edge off.......but I still feel the agitation there.........she says it is not the Zoloft causing this so not to even go there..........she knows me to well.............anyhow, any suggestions? Or do I have to just tough this out? If I take the Xanax four times a day how do you suggest I spread that out? It's a 5-7 hour med..........so right now I'm taking it around 8am then 2pm then 9pm............and do you think this would help??? I know your not the doc, but you know a lot about Xanax with your experience and I would like this agitation crap to go away..........

BTW I decided last night after reading your OCD post that each time I get worried about losing it or not making it through this or going bezerk.......you know.......those scary thoughts we get that aren't really going to happen...........I am going to say "This is BS" and think of this forum and how many others have had the same thoughts and fears.........and they didn't happen............

Thanks my friend,

Kaytee:-)[/QUOTE]

Dear KayT,
I would suck it up and bear though it if I was you. If it is toloerable that is. This is not going to get better in days, it could take weeks. It is a process getting used to the medications and you should know and not be afraid that the zoloft takes time to adjust to temporary side effects also. If you take the xanax 1mg four times a day. 7:30am, 12:30pm, 5:30pm and 10:30pm. This puts 9 hours between the night and morning dosage but you should be asleep though most of this. If you wake earlier say 6:00am you can take it and then stay as close to the 12:30Pm as possible. This is how I have been taking it. I used to take it every 6 hours but that is a real hassle getting any sleep. 4mg may make you to sleepy though. As I said before, You can take it 4 times a day using 3.5mg instead of 4mg. 0.5 at 5:30pm or stay with 3mg 4 times a day, like 1mg 7:30am, 1Mg 12:30pm, .5mg 5:30pm and .5mg 10:30pm if the aggitation is mostly at work. Lots of ways, just don't take it closer then 5 hours apart or more then 4mg. in 24 hours. Do the best you can and stay positive KayT. Try to stop obsessing about it in anyway you can. Be tough.

Sincerely,

Your Friend Sickman :)

KayT 01-10-2004 12:03 PM

I would suck it up and bear though it if I was you. If it is toloerable that is. This is not going to get better in days, it could take weeks. It is a process getting used to the medications and you should know and not be afraid that the zoloft takes time to adjust to temporary side effects also. If you take the xanax 1mg four times a day. 7:30am, 12:30pm, 5:30pm and 10:30pm. This puts 9 hours between the night and morning dosage but you should be asleep though most of this. If you wake earlier say 6:00am you can take it and then stay as close to the 12:30Pm as possible. This is how I have been taking it. I used to take it every 6 hours but that is a real hassle getting any sleep. 4mg may make you to sleepy though. As I said before, You can take it 4 times a day using 3.5mg instead of 4mg. 0.5 at 5:30pm or stay with 3mg 4 times a day, like 1mg 7:30am, 1Mg 12:30pm, .5mg 5:30pm and .5mg 10:30pm if the aggitation is mostly at work. Lots of ways, just don't take it closer then 5 hours apart or more then 4mg. in 24 hours. Do the best you can and stay positive KayT. Try to stop obsessing about it in anyway you can. Be tough.

Sincerely,

Your Friend Sickman :)[/QUOTE]

You're right........I know this won't be better over night and I feel at a struggle with myself right now.........it's like my mind fighting my mind........you know what I mean.........I tell myself it will get better but sometimes start doubting it as well..........I know that although the Zoloft has calmed me some it does take time to really do its job and can have it's own set of start up effects.........right now I wouldn't know which it was anyway.........withdrawal or start up ses...........

As for the Xanax, I think I will still stick with thel 3mgs a day..........and maybe try the 1mg at 8am........1mg at 1pm(this seems to be around the time when this anxiety/agititation stuff reaches its spike and I feel my worst) then .5 around 5-6pm and the other half at bedtime............which ranges from 9pm to 11pm........it won't hurt to divide the .5 up that way will it, it would leave me taking it a bit closer then the five hours apart.......but at half doses.........

For example, this am I took my Xanax at around 8:50am and I just to another lmg just now at 1:50pm...........

I'm not real up on the Xanax thing..........but know that it has helpd me through a lot of this.......many people have said "Watch out, we don't want to be weaning you off Xanax" But I figure if it helps me through this then so be it..............

As for the Zoloft...........I am at day 15........and hoping in the next two weeks to see some results with the anxiety and obsessive thinking from it...........

I know I'm in for a rough ride.........but I figure I've made it this far........and probably through the worst of it..........so I can make it another two or three weeks............I just have to be at work and have to function..........and keep telling myself that I am going to be okay.........

My counselor frieind told me to just keep riding the bronco until the bronco gives in.........referring to the withdrawal stuff..........she said don't let it win...........

As for this agitation thing? Is that common and should it subside over time?? Does the Xanax really help that? Because after I take the Xanax it eases up but doesn't get rid of it completely............guess I'm looking for a miracle cure there huh???

Talk to ya soon,

And appreciate your support through this.

Some12 01-10-2004 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=KayT]You're right........I know this won't be better over night and I feel at a struggle with myself right now.........it's like my mind fighting my mind........you know what I mean.........I tell myself it will get better but sometimes start doubting it as well..........I know that although the Zoloft has calmed me some it does take time to really do its job and can have it's own set of start up effects.........right now I wouldn't know which it was anyway.........withdrawal or start up ses...........

As for the Xanax, I think I will still stick with thel 3mgs a day..........and maybe try the 1mg at 8am........1mg at 1pm(this seems to be around the time when this anxiety/agititation stuff reaches its spike and I feel my worst) then .5 around 5-6pm and the other half at bedtime............which ranges from 9pm to 11pm........it won't hurt to divide the .5 up that way will it, it would leave me taking it a bit closer then the five hours apart.......but at half doses.........

For example, this am I took my Xanax at around 8:50am and I just to another lmg just now at 1:50pm...........

I'm not real up on the Xanax thing..........but know that it has helpd me through a lot of this.......many people have said "Watch out, we don't want to be weaning you off Xanax" But I figure if it helps me through this then so be it..............

As for the Zoloft...........I am at day 15........and hoping in the next two weeks to see some results with the anxiety and obsessive thinking from it...........

I know I'm in for a rough ride.........but I figure I've made it this far........and probably through the worst of it..........so I can make it another two or three weeks............I just have to be at work and have to function..........and keep telling myself that I am going to be okay.........

My counselor frieind told me to just keep riding the bronco until the bronco gives in.........referring to the withdrawal stuff..........she said don't let it win...........

As for this agitation thing? Is that common and should it subside over time?? Does the Xanax really help that? Because after I take the Xanax it eases up but doesn't get rid of it completely............guess I'm looking for a miracle cure there huh???

Talk to ya soon,

And appreciate your support through this.

Dear KayT,
I don't think the agitation is from any of the medications at all. I think it is because of the frustation of having to deal with this and at work you see the others that are not dealing with it. Sub-conciously, you think that you are having a harder time with handling the work environment when in fact it really has not changed, you in a way have. You have to understand that you can never be the person you were before. That is not to say that you can not be a more caring person and a lot better worker. You just can't be your same old self again. That person was carefree and did not think about these things. You can learn to manage and control your situiation but it will always be in the back of your mind, you just have to keep pushing it back further. That is why you don't look at setbacks as failure. They are the learning tool. Everytime you have a problem, you learn just a little bit more of how to deal with them. Just keep on a trucking. You'll be fine. I probably won't be on the board until tomorrow night or monday. My little grand daughter is coming over and we have to watch Barbies movie about 20 times in a row while eating cheezits. Its a lot of fun, I think I know the words by heart now. Be well and don't worry.

Sincerely,

KayT 01-10-2004 02:05 PM

I don't think the agitation is from any of the medications at all. I think it is because of the frustation of having to deal with this and at work you see the others that are not dealing with it. Sub-conciously, you think that you are having a harder time with handling the work environment when in fact it really has not changed, you in a way have. You have to understand that you can never be the person you were before. That is not to say that you can not be a more caring person and a lot better worker. You just can't be your same old self again. That person was carefree and did not think about these things. You can learn to manage and control your situiation but it will always be in the back of your mind, you just have to keep pushing it back further. That is why you don't look at setbacks as failure. They are the learning tool. Everytime you have a problem, you learn just a little bit more of how to deal with them. Just keep on a trucking. You'll be fine. I probably won't be on the board until tomorrow night or monday. My little grand daughter is coming over and we have to watch Barbies movie about 20 times in a row while eating cheezits. Its a lot of fun, I think I know the words by heart now. Be well and don't worry.

Sincerely,

I agree that it is me that has changed..........I'm the one worried about doing things right.......but it is my work that is putting the pressure on by not being understanding about what happened etc..........I am back to my old self as far as doing my job..........I just have to learn to cope with the anxiety and withdrawal for a while until things clear up.

Talk to ya soon,

KayT 01-11-2004 07:03 PM

HI Sickman,

I had a rough day today, and realized that I needed to go see a friend and cry for a while and just let out some of this frustration. I tend to hold things in and have cried very little through all of this.........I'm an emotional stuffer..........

Anyhow, long story short, got up this am and felt very groggy all morning.......decided to only take .25 of the Xanax for my afternoon dose, and this agitation/anxiety overwhelming thing hit me hard........so then I took another .25 then a couple hours later another .25................
That is when I knew that I have to stick with the plan and keep taking this Xanax as scheduled..........and tomorrow I am going to bump it up to 3.5 or 4mg to see it that helps............I felt so bad today..........wound up and scared..........and I know you told me to not stop taking it or lower the dose for at least four weeks or until my doctor said to..........but the thing is I thought since I felt so mellow that maybe things were better........so I gave it a try..........and it didn't work out so good..........who knows how I'd feel with out the Xanax and the Zoloft on board to help me through the withdrawal..........

I see the doc on Wednesday and think she is going to increase the Zoloft to 75mg.........she doesn't want to jump up so fast.........so she's doing 25mg at a time...........I could call her tomorrow and tell her how bad I felt today but I and she already know what is causing this and that I have to take this day by day and just hang in there.........it's just easier said then done sometimes.........but here I am still hangin in......this is like a rollercoaster with my emotions and I just have to ride the ride until it stops.............

You know this has been such a difficult thing for me..........and I thought about it today and it's because my logical mind knows what is going and what is causing this.........but the anxiety side of my mind gets scared and allows it to send me in to a panic.........thus making all of this worse on me..............

It's back to work tomorrow, so I have to get my self and my thoughts together and get on with things..........

BTW I went swimming today again (although I felt horrible on the inside, I still took the kids and got moving), then I took them to the park to try and walk out some of this agitation stuff............I figure I can feel bad at home or I can feel bad and be doing something with the people who matter most to me.............

I think tonight I'm angry at this anxiety stuff and at all of the mess with these meds and I'm not going to let it get the best of me, it may beat me down a bit at times, but I am in for the fight until I can get to feeling better..........

Talk to ya soon my friend,

KayT 01-11-2004 07:05 PM

BTW.........hope you had a great time with your granddaughter...........and that Barbie is doing well.........I think my daughter has about 38 Barbies......and she has the videos......including the Barbie workout tape for kids..........

Some12 01-11-2004 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=KayT]BTW.........hope you had a great time with your granddaughter...........and that Barbie is doing well.........I think my daughter has about 38 Barbies......and she has the videos......including the Barbie workout tape for kids..........

Dear KayT,
We did have a great time althogh I was sick most of the time which is not unusal anymore. She makes me smile, I am the King and she is the Princess. My wife is the Queen and we all live happily ever after. Children are the greatest gift of all. If we could keep the frame of mind that they have we would see only the good in others and have dreams that make us all come together. It is to bad that we have to grow up and see what the real world has to offer. But there is still a little hope left if we can find it. Good day for you tomorrow, I feel it.

Sincerely,