It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• has anyone been hypnotised?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2004, 12:41 PM   #1
    immortalguy

immortalguy HB User
    has anyone been hypnotised?

just curious on how it works, if anyone has had it done, i remember someone posting it worked for about a month and then it came back. Any reply will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2004, 02:42 PM   #2
    tracey2775

tracey2775 HB User
    Re: has anyone been hypnotised?

Yes ive been hypnotised for Panic Attacks. I actually went to this mans house and he put on relaxation music and asked me all sorts of questions about my attacks. He then told me to stare at a spot on his hand while he talked to me and moved his hand in closer until it touched my head. Then i was to close my eyes. I never at anytime felt i was "under" so to speak and could open my eyes at anytime. I could even hear kids playing out in the street. When i finally opened my eyes i felt really dizzy. That night though all i wanted to do was go out clubbing! Something i would never have done before. It lasted a month or so but came back. I dont think i would do it again as the whole experience was waytoo frighteneing for me.

Last edited by tracey2775; 01-04-2004 at 02:44 PM.

Old 01-04-2004, 06:24 PM   #3
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Unhappy Re: has anyone been hypnotised?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by immortalguy
    just curious on how it works, if anyone has had it done, i remember someone posting it worked for about a month and then it came back. Any reply will be greatly appreciated.
    Dear immortalguy,
    I practiced self-hypnotism years ago and it was not for panic attacks. It is not a state where you are not in control if done correctly actually just the opposite. I was able to control not just my breathing but my vitals as well. There was a specific necessity for this at the time and that is why I was taught this. I could run longer distances, feel any specific area of my body which gave me the ability to stop pain there, and I could heighten my senses to hear and feel things that were out of the ordinary. I could sleep at any time in any position, uncomfortable or even standing, leaning against something and go into this state instantly. I slept with my eyes open or shut, but my senses stayed on alert and would incease when I sensed something, without distrubing me until I determined if it was safe to remain in this state or wake. Achieving this state has nothing to do with relaxing while staring at some object or listening to someone elses voice or commands. This practice in my opinion is loaded with scams and fakes although there are real hypnotis out there. the problem is that you don't know which you have. I do not believe this to be an answer to panic attacks and also not a thing to play with. Learning relaxation and breathing techniques are probably your best bet. Commandeering your brains functions, I do believe to be playing with fire. It is so intense sometimes that I think you can take it to far. This is just my exprience and I would teach this technique to no one. It did me a lot of good now as you can see, I have severe panic disorder, other things and am disabled. You have to make your own decision and this is just mine. Wish you luck if you go this route.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-05-2004, 02:13 PM   #4
    immortalguy

immortalguy HB User

well right now i'm seeing this theropist who is also a hypnotist. He is really nice, and dosent even care about money, he just wants to see me get better. I have seen him about 6 times now and he hasn't even mentioned hypnotism to me. But today he said what i'm trying to do is help you without hypnotism, but at the same time I'm getting all the info from your past and your present so I know how to talk to you when i do hypnotize you. So I know he isnt going to make it worse, I think it's just a long shot. If it works, it works, if not, oh well, at least i know im doing better now than i was before i saw him.

Old 01-05-2004, 03:08 PM   #5
    amym

amym HB User

I truly believe the key to overcoming panic attacks is by reverting your unconscious back to its original state - ie. not connecting fierce emotions - ie. panic to everything. I have been looking into this and have found many ways to get through to your unconscious. I have invested in a self-hypnosis cd which works on the basis of deep relaxation and deconditioning therapy, I also bought another one today, I also have a subliminal cd and a book that teaches you reach a state of deep relaxation so you can use visualisations to help your unconscious decondition itself.

Old 01-05-2004, 06:47 PM   #6
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

I tried hypnotism and it helped a bit with calming me down and was better than anything else I had tried at the time. I have since gotten my life back and elimated all panic thanks to the tools I learned in CBT. It was a bit of work initially but the didvidends have been huge. You may want to look into CBT further. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz and many universities offer CBT programs for little or no cost. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2004, 09:23 PM   #7
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Cool Re: has anyone been hypnotised?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by billy7772
    I tried hypnotism and it helped a bit with calming me down and was better than anything else I had tried at the time. I have since gotten my life back and elimated all panic thanks to the tools I learned in CBT. It was a bit of work initially but the didvidends have been huge. You may want to look into CBT further. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz and many universities offer CBT programs for little or no cost. Good luck.
    Dear billy7772,
    Not a CBT person, but it seems to be working for a lot of people. I generally don't post on CBT because I have no actual experience in it, just reading about it. Anything that works. Since you posted on hypnotism and I have see you post many times, I just wanted to say Hi. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-06-2004, 10:35 AM   #8
    immortalguy

immortalguy HB User

what exactly do you do in cbt, i know it's cumpulsive behavioral theropy, but what kind of things do you talk about and how has it helped.
    I'm just going to post a new topic about this.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:34 PM   #9
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sickman
    Dear billy7772,
    Not a CBT person, but it seems to be working for a lot of people. I generally don't post on CBT because I have no actual experience in it, just reading about it. Anything that works. Since you posted on hypnotism and I have see you post many times, I just wanted to say Hi. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Sickman
    Hi Sickman and Happy New Year to you! What a great surprise to start the year with a thoughtful note from you I agree with you completely about anything that works for you is the best method I always enjoy reading your thoughtful and caring posts when I see them Take care and keep in touch!

Billy

Old 01-06-2004, 12:36 PM   #10
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by immortalguy
    what exactly do you do in cbt, i know it's cumpulsive behavioral theropy, but what kind of things do you talk about and how has it helped.
    I'm just going to post a new topic about this.
    Hi immortal guy, I'll go look for your other post and reply there right now

Old 01-06-2004, 04:52 PM   #11
    paul123
    (male)

paul123 HB User

ive tried it but just before i went into relaxation i kept jumping up cause i was going very dizzy so i left it and never went back but hey evryones diffrent so dont knock it till youve tryed it paul uk

Old 01-14-2004, 05:02 PM   #12
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paul123
    ive tried it but just before i went into relaxation i kept jumping up cause i was going very dizzy so i left it and never went back but hey evryones diffrent so dont knock it till youve tryed it paul uk
    Hi Paul,

Good advice

Old 03-03-2004, 11:16 PM   #13
    Madj
    (female)

Madj HB User

I would really like to know if anyone else has any advice about this.

Thanks

Madj

Closed Thread