It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Panic Disorders Message Board

  • pANIC- xANAX DOSAGE WAY TO hIGH-WANT TO LOWER?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 01-04-2004, 12:56 PM   #1
    mjk291
    Newbie
     
    mjk291's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Location: Small town Ohio
    Posts: 8
    mjk291 HB User
    pANIC- xANAX DOSAGE WAY TO hIGH-WANT TO LOWER?

    I have been on Xanax for approx 8 years now. I started on a dosage of .5 3 X's a day, then 4 times a day. I then started ordering Xanax online because My Doctor would not up my dose and recognize my severe panic attacks I have.
    I am now taking anywere from 6 to 12 Mg'` per day and I know I have to stop and get back down to .5 4 X's aday. This is going to be a living HELL. Any help would be greaty appriciated. HELP-HELP-HELP-!!!
    Help!

    Mike.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 01-04-2004, 02:02 PM   #2
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Graciecat's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Posts: 1,370
    Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    Re: pANIC- xANAX DOSAGE WAY TO hIGH-WANT TO LOWER?

    I took Xanax for seven years...1/4 MG. twice a day...but that's all I ever took.
    I never took more.
    From what I understand your Doctor doesn't know how much Xanax you take...is that right?
    He thinks you're still taking 1/2 MG. four times a day?
    I'm not trying to put you down in anyway, but how do you function taking that much?
    The best advice I can give you is to be honest with your Doctor and ask for his help weaning back down to a much lower dosage.
    There is a manual online called "The Ashton Manual"...and from what another poster has said it gives you a weaning schedule.
    But I still think your best bet is to be honest with your Doctor and ask for helping in weaning down.

    Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

     
    Old 01-04-2004, 02:18 PM   #3
    mjk291
    Newbie
     
    mjk291's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Location: Small town Ohio
    Posts: 8
    mjk291 HB User
    Re: pANIC- xANAX DOSAGE WAY TO hIGH-WANT TO LOWER?

    Yes you are correct. My Pain management does not know how much I am taking. I am permently disabled due to an industrial injury and he has me on alot of pain meds Eg: Duragesic patch, roxicodone, Muscle relaxer and .5 Xanax 1-2 two times a day.
    That dosage was not helping my panic attacks so I ordered online. Yes, you are right, I do not know how I get around but I manage.
    The office policy is you take what we give or you find another place to go. I am stuck.......
    I don't know how hard it is going to be, maybe I can do it on my own....

     
    Old 01-04-2004, 04:48 PM   #4
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    hry33's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: melbourne, vic, aust
    Posts: 7,368
    hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: pANIC- xANAX DOSAGE WAY TO hIGH-WANT TO LOWER?

    its rumoured that theres lots of fake xanax about that has no effect at all, many take about 6mg daily for years but 12 is really high and many do eventually get used to it and need more

    I suggest you take xanax only as needed and not 4 times every day and cut back that way, many have a psychological addiction to xanax, they only think they are addicted

     
    Old 01-04-2004, 06:40 PM   #5
    Some12
    Senior Veteran
     
    Some12's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 724
    Some12 HB User
    Unhappy Re: pANIC- xANAX DOSAGE WAY TO hIGH-WANT TO LOWER?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjk291
    I have been on Xanax for approx 8 years now. I started on a dosage of .5 3 X's a day, then 4 times a day. I then started ordering Xanax online because My Doctor would not up my dose and recognize my severe panic attacks I have.
    I am now taking anywere from 6 to 12 Mg'` per day and I know I have to stop and get back down to .5 4 X's aday. This is going to be a living HELL. Any help would be greaty appriciated. HELP-HELP-HELP-!!!
    Help!

    Mike.
    Dear mjk291,
    You do need to tell your Doctor how much you are taking and get his help. Maybe you can take this down by yourself or maybe you will have to get some help with a detoxification clinic. You are at the very top of the dosage and need to do something now. Don't try to do this without your Doctor and He or She is going to go through the roof. This does not matter and if they are any kind of good Doctor they will help you. If not, seek out a drug abuse clinic or hotline to find you a place to get help with this. If you were able to up your dosage to this level of abuse without fear then I don't think you can go this alone. Get the help you need and don't be afraid to tell the truth. Good luck and bless you.

    Sincerely,

    Sickman

     
    Old 01-04-2004, 11:11 PM   #6
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    lori j's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2002
    Posts: 2,216
    lori j HB User
    Re: pANIC- xANAX DOSAGE WAY TO hIGH-WANT TO LOWER?

    I know people who have been on xanax for years & they just have to keep increasing the dosage, as they get tolerant of it & the lower dosage is no longer effective for them, so trying to go back to a lower dosage may not work for you. You may need to go on a different benzo. I do think eventually you're going to have to come clean with the doctor, as lower Xanax may not help you at all.

     
    Old 01-04-2004, 11:43 PM   #7
    Some12
    Senior Veteran
     
    Some12's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 724
    Some12 HB User
    Question Re: pANIC- xANAX DOSAGE WAY TO hIGH-WANT TO LOWER?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lori j
    I know people who have been on xanax for years & they just have to keep increasing the dosage, as they get tolerant of it & the lower dosage is no longer effective for them, so trying to go back to a lower dosage may not work for you. You may need to go on a different benzo. I do think eventually you're going to have to come clean with the doctor, as lower Xanax may not help you at all.
    Dear lori j,
    I see you are on overtime again tonight also.
    I agree that xanax is not the answer for this person, it is a pain management problem that is probably creating the panic problems. She needs a better pain killer to not create the panic and should see her Doctor immediately. I do disagree with one thing though. As a long time xanax user, I do not think that the you build a tolerance to the medication and have to raise the dosage. Xanax does not cure panic attack it only creates a means to manage it. No matter what dosage you are on, you are still going to have attacks like a roller coaster with ups and downs. The first problem that most people get themselves into is the belief that the medication has stopped working and they need to and actually do raise their dosage. If you ride out the attacks, the lows moving to the peak and the after shock, you will find that the medication is still working fine. The hard part of this is to learn to deal with these ups and downs and not fall into the rut of thinking the medication is not working. It is the management of the disorder and the loss of the fear of the What Ifs that you must master. That is why Doctors do not like to give out these types of drugs because it is so easy to fall into the abuse of them. I guess I can put it also another way in managing panic attacks. You have to be as afraid of the abuse of the medication as you are of having panic attacks.

    lori j,
    What do you think? Tolerance or abuse? Or does it depend on the individual? I would like your opinion to what I have said. Thanks my Board Friend.

    Sincerely,

    Sickman

     
    Old 01-05-2004, 12:10 AM   #8
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    lori j's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2002
    Posts: 2,216
    lori j HB User
    Re: pANIC- xANAX DOSAGE WAY TO hIGH-WANT TO LOWER?

    Hi Sickman, yep this is my normal time to be on here, I'm a nite person by nature.
    Well, you pose a question that could probably be as bad as "what came first, the chicken or the eg?".
    I know two people, one is a lady who only weighs about 85 lbs. wet & she was up to 8 xanax a day. Now, I weigh about 105 and a half xanax at bedtime would put me to sleep in under 5 mins. She didn't seem to be affected by all the xanax she was taking. I do not know if she just thought she needed more & more or if she was not getting the relief from one or two and ended up being up to 8 times a day.
    I also know a man who was way up there on his dosage of xanax too.
    So, from my own personal experience, I only have taken it occasionally and never seemed to need to up it for myself, but was always amazed at these other two people who were taking way more than I and it wasn't knocking them out. If I took that many in a day, I'd probably never wake up again.
    So, would you say they are just abusing it and if so, would abusing it cause them to need more & more, like a street drug?

     
    Old 01-05-2004, 12:12 AM   #9
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    lori j's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2002
    Posts: 2,216
    lori j HB User
    Re: pANIC- xANAX DOSAGE WAY TO hIGH-WANT TO LOWER?

    Oops, that should have said "chicken or the EGG!"

     
    Old 01-05-2004, 06:30 AM   #10
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Graciecat's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Posts: 1,370
    Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    Re: pANIC- xANAX DOSAGE WAY TO hIGH-WANT TO LOWER?

    I know you didn't asked my opinion, but I'm going to give it anyway.
    I think it depends on the person.
    I took Xanax everyday for seven years, I only took 1/2MG...1/4MG at a time.
    I never took more and never felt the need to.

    People talk up these up and downs they feel with Xanax, I never felt those.
    I took it and within 15 minutes I felt fine and never had a problem between doses.
    I've said before that I think I'm a freak of some sort or maybe it's just my OCD at work...I believed that I wouldn't get hyper between doses so therefore I never did??

    I have a very smart Doctor...when he gave them to me he told me that just because the bottle said that I COULD take up to 1MG a day didn't mean I needed to...if I could talk myself out of attacks that was better...if the 1/2MG was working there was no need to take more.
    He told me taking less was great, but to NEVER take more.
    This is a regular GP...no PDoc's for me...I know most people think a PDoc is the way to go...that's not true for everyone....every one of them I talked to only wanted to up my Xanax and add two or three other medications, something I didn't need.
    If I was doing well on a low dose of Xanax why on earth would I want to take more or add other medications to it?

    So anyway after that long winded post, that's why I think it depends on the person.

     
    Old 01-05-2004, 08:14 AM   #11
    Some12
    Senior Veteran
     
    Some12's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 724
    Some12 HB User
    Wink Re: pANIC- xANAX DOSAGE WAY TO hIGH-WANT TO LOWER?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lori j
    Hi Sickman, yep this is my normal time to be on here, I'm a nite person by nature.
    Well, you pose a question that could probably be as bad as "what came first, the chicken or the eg?".
    I know two people, one is a lady who only weighs about 85 lbs. wet & she was up to 8 xanax a day. Now, I weigh about 105 and a half xanax at bedtime would put me to sleep in under 5 mins. She didn't seem to be affected by all the xanax she was taking. I do not know if she just thought she needed more & more or if she was not getting the relief from one or two and ended up being up to 8 times a day.
    I also know a man who was way up there on his dosage of xanax too.
    So, from my own personal experience, I only have taken it occasionally and never seemed to need to up it for myself, but was always amazed at these other two people who were taking way more than I and it wasn't knocking them out. If I took that many in a day, I'd probably never wake up again.
    So, would you say they are just abusing it and if so, would abusing it cause them to need more & more, like a street drug?
    Dear lori j,
    Thank you for the reply. I will tell you from my experience that the sleepiness wears off. I do not think that the effect wears off. When I was 47 I did a treadmill test while on steady xanax. I went the full 8 levels of the test for 24 minutes without reaching the heart rate they would stop the test at. They said they had not only never seen that before but they had never heard of it. Of course I would be lying if I did not say that I cheated just a little. I used a self-hypnosis technique that I learned years ago to do this. I could not do that now because unfortunately going off and srri to fast disabled me. I think it is much in the mind of the beholder as to the question if you will be an abuser or not. I guess it is the same with drinking, some will not allow themselves to become and abuser and others just fall into the trap thinking it makes things better when in fact it destroys them eventually. I tend to push benzos only because I know what it is to suffer to the extreme that you are at the point of not caring anymore. You won't harm yourself but you have also lost all hope to the point that you are no longer afraid of passing. I guess in order for a benzo to work a person maybe has to really know what extreme suffering is. Everyone thinks what they feel is the worst case of panic symptoms that you can have and maybe that is what determines an abuser or not. Managing the disorder is not just about the medications it is about being able to endure the attacks while still functioning basically normal. If you can not stand to have some symptoms daily then you may tend to feel the medication does not work or you need to raise it. I woke having panic attacks in my sleep twice last night within about 5 hours. Until writing this now, I had shined it on. I guess it all depends on the person and maybe their pain tolerance has something to do with it. I guess that is also why I am against as needed because people tend to read that as "at the first sign of anything unusal", which with a disorder causing brain tricks, that is a constant. Thanks again for sharing and talk to you again soon.

    Sincerely,

    Sickman

     
    Old 01-05-2004, 08:49 AM   #12
    Some12
    Senior Veteran
     
    Some12's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 724
    Some12 HB User
    Cool Re: pANIC- xANAX DOSAGE WAY TO hIGH-WANT TO LOWER?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graciecat
    I know you didn't asked my opinion, but I'm going to give it anyway.
    I think it depends on the person.
    I took Xanax everyday for seven years, I only took 1/2MG...1/4MG at a time.
    I never took more and never felt the need to.

    People talk up these up and downs they feel with Xanax, I never felt those.
    I took it and within 15 minutes I felt fine and never had a problem between doses.
    I've said before that I think I'm a freak of some sort or maybe it's just my OCD at work...I believed that I wouldn't get hyper between doses so therefore I never did??

    I have a very smart Doctor...when he gave them to me he told me that just because the bottle said that I COULD take up to 1MG a day didn't mean I needed to...if I could talk myself out of attacks that was better...if the 1/2MG was working there was no need to take more.
    He told me taking less was great, but to NEVER take more.
    This is a regular GP...no PDoc's for me...I know most people think a PDoc is the way to go...that's not true for everyone....every one of them I talked to only wanted to up my Xanax and add two or three other medications, something I didn't need.
    If I was doing well on a low dose of Xanax why on earth would I want to take more or add other medications to it?

    So anyway after that long winded post, that's why I think it depends on the person.
    Dear Graciecat,
    I always want your opinion.
    You of course are a smart user of xanax that understands that more means less. lori j is a smart xanax user by being able to not use it. Your Doctor seems to know exactly how to put something to you so you understand that you take the least you need to manage the condition not try to cure it. I also tell people to see Psychratrist vs General Practioners and you caught me on that one also. I usually do this when someone is seeing a GP and they are specifically not getting the right help. I suggest Psychratrist because they are generally more experienced in the intake phase of listening and analizing the disorder. Now that is also on a case by case basis. I am with the Veterans Hospital and I have to see my doctors at least once every two months. I myself have a Psychratrist which I have to see to get the mental medicaitons. A therapist, and I also have to see a GP who just happens to also be a Psychratrist for my physical needs. I do not let any of them change my medications at all. I control that and my Psychratrist I can tell hates to see me. Let me give you my impression of all of them. My Psychratrist would have me on enough drugs that I would not know my name and it appears most of the other patients are in that state. My new Therapist I will never trust after my first meeting based on analizing his body actions not necessarily what he had to say. My GP who is a Psychratrist also, I talk with and listen to. He is open minded and tells it like it is. He does not believe in over medication and his actions demonstrate to me that he is can be trusted and truly cares about his patients. I see Doctors in two ways only. If they don't understand that "Looking good and doing good, is the same as doing right and doing wrong, then they are worthless". Ones that look good, win prizes. Those that do good win their patients trust. Those are your two choices of Doctors be they GP or Psychratrist. Have a good day Graciecat and thanks for the input.

    Sincerely,

    Sickman

     
    Old 01-05-2004, 02:38 PM   #13
    KayT
    Veteran
     
    KayT's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 359
    KayT HB User
    Re: pANIC- xANAX DOSAGE WAY TO hIGH-WANT TO LOWER?

    I had to come in on this post...........I am currently taking 3mg of Xanax a day...........in order to get through Paxil/Celexa withdrawal and also ease up on the Zoloft as my system adjusts to the changes...........is this something I should not be doing each day? I have been taking it in the morning when I get up, then around 2pm and at bedtime..........I originally had .25 but it would barely touch the SEs of the withdrawal and maybe for an hour...........that is why the doc increased it.........but I don't want to create another problem while taking care of one that is already there..........

    I figured for the next few days I would do the 1mg and then maybe taper back to half and see how I feel.........
    The Zoloft should be kicking in but I don't want to back off to soon and feel a mess again...........even on the 1mg I can still feel some anxiety in there.........but it's much more controllable............and the 1mg doesn't seem to put me to sleep.........it just calms my system........

    Any thoughts??

    Kaytee:-)

     
    Old 01-05-2004, 07:54 PM   #14
    Some12
    Senior Veteran
     
    Some12's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 724
    Some12 HB User
    Unhappy Re: pANIC- xANAX DOSAGE WAY TO hIGH-WANT TO LOWER?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KayT
    I had to come in on this post...........I am currently taking 3mg of Xanax a day...........in order to get through Paxil/Celexa withdrawal and also ease up on the Zoloft as my system adjusts to the changes...........is this something I should not be doing each day? I have been taking it in the morning when I get up, then around 2pm and at bedtime..........I originally had .25 but it would barely touch the SEs of the withdrawal and maybe for an hour...........that is why the doc increased it.........but I don't want to create another problem while taking care of one that is already there..........

    I figured for the next few days I would do the 1mg and then maybe taper back to half and see how I feel.........
    The Zoloft should be kicking in but I don't want to back off to soon and feel a mess again...........even on the 1mg I can still feel some anxiety in there.........but it's much more controllable............and the 1mg doesn't seem to put me to sleep.........it just calms my system........

    Any thoughts??

    Kaytee:-)
    Dear KayT,
    No, do not stop your constant dosage for any reason. Don't get into the setting a date thing for when it is time to start cutting back. Your body will tell when it is time and then you should still wait another week or so. When you do start this, get a pill cutter and cut back very slowly. Like 1mg am, .75mg afternoon and 1mg at night. After a week of this if you feel fine, 1mg am, .75 afternoon and .75 at night, after a week if you feel fine, .75mg 3 times a day, then after a week if you feel alright, .75mg, .5mg, .75mg, etc. At this time and for the at least the next 4 weeks I would say, you are not at all ready to start eliminating the xanax. These posts above are about abusers. You are always wanting to cut back or you were afraid to raise, this tells me you are not going to become an abuser, by the actions you have shown. Don't worry about any of these things. It is a long process, but the safe way to do it with the least problems. You are an exceptional case of determination to achieve victory and are doing great, stay with it.

    Sincerely,

    Sickman

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Panic ruining my ability to have a relationship. Sound familiar anyone? Zenith21 Panic Disorders 4 03-04-2010 04:04 PM
    What causes panic attacks and what are the symptoms? BumpkinPumpkin Panic Disorders 8 04-09-2007 01:06 PM
    Panic Attacks due to Phobias, not Panic Disorder? GatsbyLuvr1920 Phobias 10 02-20-2006 03:30 AM
    Anxiety, Panic & Disequilibrium **PART ONE & PART TWO** Wowwweee Inner Ear Disorders 2 04-15-2004 06:18 AM
    Understanding panic/anxiety attacks. purrsia Panic Disorders 11 03-01-2004 04:44 AM
    How do you know if it's a panic attack or this???? Sheilia01 Panic Disorders 12 12-11-2003 06:09 AM
    strange panic attack facts hry33 Panic Disorders 0 07-02-2003 02:55 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:14 PM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!