It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• I'm new to the board...concerned about teenage daughter

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2004, 08:56 AM   #1
    sweetums

sweetums HB User
    I'm new to the board...concerned about teenage daughter

I have a 17 year old daughter that has experienced panic attacks for the last couple of years, but there was always something tramatic that happened that triggered the attack. But now she has had attacks and she says there is nothing bothering seriously bothering her. Two days ago the school called an ambulance for her cause her attack was so extreme..she couldn't catch her breath and her heart was racing out of control.
    The doctors gave her something to take when she feels an attack coming on, but it's very addictive..and she's been wanting to take them everyday. I will definitely call the doctor on Monday if she keeps this up, but this is all new to us..is this common for all of you that have attacks, that they can come on for no apparent reason? And how often do you have attacks? I just worry because she is so young, and if she has a hard time now, what will it be like for her as she gets older and under more stress?
    Thanks for any input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2004, 09:15 AM   #2
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    Re: I'm new to the board...concerned about teenage daughter

The first time I had an attack I was 16 and most if not all of mine came out of the blue...there was never any tramatic event or stress that brought them on.

At one point I had several attacks a day, the amount of attacks is different for each person.

I think you're very smart to take her to the Doctor, that way she'll get the help she needs.
    When I first went he did a lot of tests...I'm not trying to scare you...they should do this to rule out other reasons for the attacks...something like high or low blood sugar can mimic panic attacks as can some thyroid problems.

Good luck and let us know what the Doctor says.

Old 01-10-2004, 12:37 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

Hi sweetums, I had my first panic attack at age 16, you need to build up a collection of books on overcoming agoraphobia, panic disorder and panic attacks and perhaps read them to daughter, all the info needed is in books, many written by former panic attack sufferers

the tablet would be some type of valium type such as xanax, these are very helpful and not addictive to most, they work fastest if dissolved under the tongue, many docs dont know this

attacks often just happen, and trying to work out why seldom helps much, the attacks are unpleasant but will never hurt her
    stay with us

Old 01-11-2004, 02:00 AM   #4
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweetums
    I have a 17 year old daughter that has experienced panic attacks for the last couple of years, but there was always something tramatic that happened that triggered the attack. But now she has had attacks and she says there is nothing bothering seriously bothering her. Two days ago the school called an ambulance for her cause her attack was so extreme..she couldn't catch her breath and her heart was racing out of control.
    The doctors gave her something to take when she feels an attack coming on, but it's very addictive..and she's been wanting to take them everyday. I will definitely call the doctor on Monday if she keeps this up, but this is all new to us..is this common for all of you that have attacks, that they can come on for no apparent reason? And how often do you have attacks? I just worry because she is so young, and if she has a hard time now, what will it be like for her as she gets older and under more stress?
    Thanks for any input.

Hi hun,

I feel for your daughter being so young and having to deal with this. It is good that she is taking something everyday for her attacks. Attacks can last all day sometimes. Mine sure did. I could not concentrate and I did not have a life. I would stay in bed all day. I had my first attack in August of last year. I'm 33 years old. I was always an anxious and nervous person.

If you are concerned about her getting addicted, talk to her doctor about Klonpin. It has a longer lasting life and is not as addicting. If her attacks are severe like mine are, she would probably have to take the medication every day. If it's Xanex she is taking.....it only lasts about 4-5 hours. If it's Ativan....I would say about 6-10 hours(though it worked less on me). If it's Klonopin....12-24 hours, which is best for her not to get addicted.

I know you are worried about her when she gets older, but by that time, she will know how to deal with these attacks and she will have them under control. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Although it feels very scary and it probably makes you want to cry seeing her this way, it is not harmful. Always remember that. Try to help her out with some deep breathing when she's having an attack. Count to seven slowly while breathing in slowly and count to eleven slowly while breathing out slowly. Tell her to keep doing this until they subside a little.

I hope she feels better soon and good luck to you
    Chantel

Old 01-11-2004, 06:48 PM   #5
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Unhappy Re: I'm new to the board...concerned about teenage daughter

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweetums
    Thanks for any input.
    Dear sweetums,
    Panic attack needs no reason to happen nor is it something that you can control from happening once it reaches a certain point. I would take your daughter to see a doctor and try to get her on a steady medication so they are being prescribed at a certain rate and if she runs out before she should, you will know if she is abusing it, if you think this is a possiblility. Sometimes you will have an attack and then not have one for weeks. Other times they will come in clusters and last for a day, a week or more. It is like a roller coaster and you need to get her on the right medications and she needs to learn to manage it, not cure it. If she can manage it, she may be able to beat it. The most important thing for her now is to get the right medication and stop the attacks or at least make them more tolerable. They have to be gotten under control before a goal of illiminating them altogether can be achieved and I have to say, if possible on that. I have to be honest and say, learn to manage them, because unfortunately, you may never be rid of them. Sorry but true. There is always hope and many other treatments of therapy that others on the board are familiar that I am not, like CBT. It seems to be working for many. Stay with the board and ask questions about some of these realatively new approaches to this disorder. There are many others here that are more then willing to give you the information on these alternatives. Bless the both of you and don't give up hope.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-14-2004, 08:48 PM   #6
    upshutter17
    Veteran
    (female)

upshutter17 HB User

Sweetums, I just want to say how refreshing and nice it is to read your post. Please please please, just please try to understand and be patient with her. It helps! It gives me hope when I see/hear/read of a parent actually concerned and wanting to her their child with this. As hard as it may ever get, please just stick by her side....she needs you. Good luck with everything.
    Upshutter

Old 01-15-2004, 05:29 AM   #7
    LIND
    (female)

LIND HB User

Sweetums,

My panic attacks started when I was 17 during the time my father was dying. Only I did not know they were panic attacks, I thought I was going crazy. I was on a barbituate at the time and was taking too many but stopped on my own. I just want to say that your daughter is scared, very scared and she needs your support and any other support she can get. From one mom to another I feel for the both of you. She is going through a rough time right now. Get her to a doctor a.s.a.p. My panic attacks disappeared for many years after that until I reached the age of 35. At that point I realized that at 17 it was panic attacks. There is so much more help today than ever. Support groups are all over including right on this board. Let her know she is not alone and have her speak to a "physcologist" (not sure of the spelling),who cannot prescribe drugs. This way she will learn about the attacks and learn to help herself. She may need meds for a while until she feels she has them under control. Unless someone goes through this they cannot even begin to imagine. There are thoughts that went through my head that I would not share with aynone. But I am doing well and most of the time have good days and then, other days struggle through them but, always get through it. Good luck to both of you.

LIND

Closed Thread