It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Question about Xanax.............

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2004, 12:46 PM   #1
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User
    Question about Xanax.............

I feel pretty groggy today..........of course I just started taking 1mg of Xanax four times a day about three days ago.........it doesn't really knock me out........but I can tell that it relaxes my entire system...........I feel the same way as you Lori, as bad as I have felt these last few weeks, I'd rather feel a bit drugged and groggy then so wound up...............

Does the groggy feeling wear off after taking these meds for a while?? Also, how slow do you wean off these once it's time to stop? My doc has me on the 1mg four times a day to offset Paxil/Celexa withdrawal and also while I increase my Zoloft to 100mg and adjust.............she says eventually here we will be tapering the Xanax down after the Zoloft reaches it's theraputic level................Sickman? Don't you take Xanax four times a day 1mg?? Does the drugged feeling wear off after a while and my body adjusts to the med. The doc also said something about Xanax reaching a theraputic level in my body because it has a half life..........is there any truth to this???

My counselor friend as well as my cousin who is a nurse say I should be spreading the Xanax out every 6 hours..........that it would work better..........but I don't know about getting myself up in the middle of the night to take the pill............I know you had this same issue Sickman? Did it really make a difference when you tried doing this??

Kaytee:-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2004, 01:13 PM   #2
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    Re: Question about Xanax.............

I'm not Sickman, but I took Xanax everyday for years, although I never took anywhere near as much as you're taking.
    I never felt drugged or groggy while I was on it..but again that could be because I only took 1/4MG twice a day.

IMO you're Doctor should wean you off of it slowly.
    While I was weaning I asked my Doctor if he thought I was going to slowly and he said no, that my body would tell us when it was ready to make the next cut.

Again, I didn't take a very high dose but I did notice a difference when I spread the dose out over the course of the day.
    At first I was taking the whole 1/2MG at once, but when I cut the pill in half and took it 8 or so hours apart I did feel that it worked better.

Hopefully Sickman can answer your questions better than I did, since he's on a higher dose than I was...just wanted to give you my experiance.

Last edited by Graciecat; 01-16-2004 at 01:14 PM.

Old 01-16-2004, 02:05 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to Kay,
    when starting xanax or any other benzo, we are often strongly sedated at first until we get used to the med, this can take 1 week or so,
    I agree with what your doc is doing but your xanax dose is very high, it would have many seeming to be drunk and almost unable to walk
    also xanax only has its strongest effect for about 2 hours so there would be a reduction of effect after this.

try taking half a tablet every few hours when awake, and as long as you can get off to sleep, dont take any before bed or during the night

Old 01-16-2004, 04:47 PM   #4
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hry33
    to Kay,
    when starting xanax or any other benzo, we are often strongly sedated at first until we get used to the med, this can take 1 week or so,
    I agree with what your doc is doing but your xanax dose is very high, it would have many seeming to be drunk and almost unable to walk
    also xanax only has its strongest effect for about 2 hours so there would be a reduction of effect after this.

try taking half a tablet every few hours when awake, and as long as you can get off to sleep, dont take any before bed or during the night

You know, it's so strange, because I figured 4mgs a day was going to knock me out..........but it hasn't..........I think partly because the withdrawal has been so intense, maybe it offset some of that, but that's just a thought...........Also, I am funny when it comes to meds........for example.........Benadryl does not put me to sleep or make me drowsy.......

I just don't want to get overloaded, I know this stuff has a half life, but I go all night without taking it, so maybe that helps.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Old 01-16-2004, 08:21 PM   #5
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Smile Re: Question about Xanax.............

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KayT
    I feel pretty groggy today..........of course I just started taking 1mg of Xanax four times a day about three days ago.........it doesn't really knock me out........but I can tell that it relaxes my entire system...........I feel the same way as you Lori, as bad as I have felt these last few weeks, I'd rather feel a bit drugged and groggy then so wound up...............

Does the groggy feeling wear off after taking these meds for a while?? Also, how slow do you wean off these once it's time to stop? My doc has me on the 1mg four times a day to offset Paxil/Celexa withdrawal and also while I increase my Zoloft to 100mg and adjust.............she says eventually here we will be tapering the Xanax down after the Zoloft reaches it's theraputic level................Sickman? Don't you take Xanax four times a day 1mg?? Does the drugged feeling wear off after a while and my body adjusts to the med. The doc also said something about Xanax reaching a theraputic level in my body because it has a half life..........is there any truth to this???

My counselor friend as well as my cousin who is a nurse say I should be spreading the Xanax out every 6 hours..........that it would work better..........but I don't know about getting myself up in the middle of the night to take the pill............I know you had this same issue Sickman? Did it really make a difference when you tried doing this??

Howdy KayT,
    Everyone has given you some pretty good answers there. Xanax does have a short half life and is more intense in the first couple of hours like hry33 said but it does build an around the clock effect that will make you very groggy. This effect does not really wear off but you get used to it. I am not going to say that it happens fast and at the level you are at, being the same as me, at times it seems to increase in effects for no reason that I can put a finger on. Instead of spreading the dosage to every 6 hours you should change the dosage. You need to get your sleep. Being able to rest is important and something that I can not do even with the xanax now. If you are groggy then you probably don't need that much xanax to check the panic symptoms or the zoloft, etc. Take only 0.5mg where the dosage level needs to be less to avoid the groggy feeling, like at work. I really did not think that you needed to move from 1mg three time a day to four. You needed to get stable on the around the clock effects for a longer period of time. I was on 3mg three times a day and when they first moved me to 4mg, I had to move back down. It knocked me for a loop. Then everything got so bad I had to move up basically as a pain reliever. You could move back to the lower dosage and your Doctor should certainly understand. The effects of 3mg would have leveled out and although it hits you harder for about 2 hours only, it is in your system still and working. 4mg is a lot of xanax to go on so fast or even be on. I don't want to go against your doctor but hry33 is right, I don't really know how you are functioning at that level. This effect will increase and then you will only get used to that level an the groggy feelings where you are at. Don't be freaking out on me here, what you are doing will not hurt you only make you groggy as you say but it isn't to good to be driving or something like that. Considering the Zoloft was calming you and that dosage was upped, I just think you need to take less xanax. You don't need to feel drunk on the drug to do what you are doing. I take it like this because I have a siezure disorder also and it helps to calm me along with my pain and anti-siezure medication. The other thing is, don't worry about how to go off the xanax or when right now. That will come when it is time and then we can talk about that. Even though you will not have been on it for very long we will do this very, very slowly so we can tell the difference of condition from withdrawals. You may have to cut back to a certain level and stay there for awhile, adjusting your zoloft and then start going down again. Lets just worry about that when the time comes. My opinion is, take 3mg spread out over morning to night like you were before. If you are getting that groggy, you don't need that much to check the other drugs or even panic symptoms. It is also important for you to have confidence in the dosage, it is working and you don't need to think that you need to up it again if you feel a little ill now and then. You are still in an adjustment stage and you are going to have some ups and downs. Being over druged is certainly not the answer. All I can do is tell you what I would do, it is up to you to make the decision. I will tell you that the medication effects everyone just a little different. With some people 0.25mg the first time, puts them to sleep. For the last couple of weeks my dosage for some reason has been hitting me hard and this is unusal considering I have been on this dosage for a very long time. So what I am trying to tell you is lower your dosage. Think about it and mostly be safe driving and walking up or down stairs and such. The med won't hurt you but falling on you butt might. Thats all I can offer my Friend. Good night and I hope you have a good day tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-16-2004, 09:05 PM   #6
    tzty
    Inactive

tzty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KayT

Dear KayT
    I do not understand fully your situation. I am surprised that you are being taken off of the Celixa/Paxil all at once. I was weaned off of it. I was not given any Xanax to help the weaning. I would really and seriously suggest that you read up on Zoloft and the side effects of it. I took it and then took myself off twice. I did no weaning or anything. The last time the doctor just switched me from Zoloft after I found disturbing information on the side effects and I went on Effexor XR. I started at a higher dosage then even my Zoloft was but am now taking 75 mg a day and feel great. I had to start taking it at night though because I became groggy in the AM.
    I definately agree with everyone though......you are on an extremely high dosage of this Xanax. It was originally invented to help alcoholics and drug addicts detox and help with the DT's. I never heard of it being used as a weaning drug. Are these meds prescribed by a MD or a Psychiatrist or Psychologist? If they are discuss it with your family doctor. If they are prescribed from the family doctor I would suggest you may want to speak to the pharmacist in private and he can answer questions sometimes much better then the doctor does. Doctors don't know as much as most pharmacist when it comes to medication or side effects. I have shown my doctor information on Zoloft and she took me off immediately. She had no idea. I always research meds and ask one of my pharmacist or my old bosses wife who is one. She has helped me tremedously in this area.
    Good luck and keep me posted. Joyshow

Old 01-17-2004, 08:37 AM   #7
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joyshow

Dear KayT
    I do not understand fully your situation. I am surprised that you are being taken off of the Celixa/Paxil all at once. I was weaned off of it. I was not given any Xanax to help the weaning. I would really and seriously suggest that you read up on Zoloft and the side effects of it. I took it and then took myself off twice. I did no weaning or anything. The last time the doctor just switched me from Zoloft after I found disturbing information on the side effects and I went on Effexor XR. I started at a higher dosage then even my Zoloft was but am now taking 75 mg a day and feel great. I had to start taking it at night though because I became groggy in the AM.
    I definately agree with everyone though......you are on an extremely high dosage of this Xanax. It was originally invented to help alcoholics and drug addicts detox and help with the DT's. I never heard of it being used as a weaning drug. Are these meds prescribed by a MD or a Psychiatrist or Psychologist? If they are discuss it with your family doctor. If they are prescribed from the family doctor I would suggest you may want to speak to the pharmacist in private and he can answer questions sometimes much better then the doctor does. Doctors don't know as much as most pharmacist when it comes to medication or side effects. I have shown my doctor information on Zoloft and she took me off immediately. She had no idea. I always research meds and ask one of my pharmacist or my old bosses wife who is one. She has helped me tremedously in this area.

Thanks for the info........yes..........I do know the 4mg a day is a high dose..........but my withdrawal symptoms were getting pretty bad.........and that's what it took to calm things down a bit........I'm not feeling drunk or staggering or anything on the 4mg........just feel very relaxed and a bit groggy in the morning when I wake up.........I think I will back it down to 3mg and see how that goes..........

As for the Zoloft.........my doctor has prescribed it for a very long time........and has had great luck with it..........a counselor that I am close to also said that she to has seen much milder side effects and better luck with Zoloft.........and she also took it at one time and really liked it..........many of her children patients take it as well with great luck..........So far I have not had any ill effects from the Zoloft except dry mouth and less of an appetite........other then that it has calmed me a great deal..........so I am going to stick with it........

I have read up on many drugs, such as Paxil, Celexa, Effexer and so on..........what I got was that Effexer and Paxil were the two worst ones to stop taking.........that the withdrawal is terrible..........and from experience the withdrawal I have been experieincing has been terrible........I also have found that some people have trouble with withdrawal on Zoloft.............the point I am making is that I can go on the net and find good and bad about each of these drugs...........and it really comes down to what works for one person might not work for another.............I had to come to a decision as to which path to take..........Effexer was an option........but when I read the withdrawal stories It sounded way to much like what I am going through now.......so I backed off...........and when a Pdoc, my family doc and a family friend who has been counseling for years recommended Zoloft I decided to go ahead and give it a try............It seems to be helping me.......

I noticed you stopped taking it twice, did Zoloft help you at all or did you stop taking it because of the bad things you read about it??

Thanks for the info,

Old 01-17-2004, 09:16 AM   #8
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Smile Re: Question about Xanax.............

Quote:

Dear KayT
    Hi joyshow,
    You posted quite a bit of information on your expriences with medications and I am glad to see you come to the board. I just have one question, why did you go on zoloft twice? Was this a doctor thing?
    Please reply back and thanks for the information. Have a very panic free day.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-17-2004, 11:54 AM   #9
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User

I did phone my pharmacist and he assured me that many of his customers take Zoloft and they all seem to like it. He hasn't heard of any of them having adverse reactions except the typical start up side effects, or basic side effects, nothing serious. He explained that what I read online are very very rare cases and when these case have been studied and looked in to there was more to the story then just that they took Zoloft and flipped out. These people had psychotic issues or were already prone to do what they did.............some used it as an excuse to get to do what they already had planned on doing in the first place.......

I asked about Effexor and if that would be better and he said it has the same story behind it. He has customers come in to pick up their new prescription and they are scared because on the internet it said someone did something horrible while taking it.........same for Paxil, Celexa and Prozac.............

He said anyone can have an advserse reaction to medication...........it is rare.......but can happen.........but the chances are very very small.........and he said I would have known by now if it was going to do this to me..........

I looked up Paxil, Celexa, Zoloft (all I have taken), Effexor and Prozac and found warnings and lawsuits for all of them. It also said that they all have withdrawal symptoms while going off, listing Effexor and Paxil as the top two as far as being hard to stop taking.............

So I think it all comes down to what Sickman says, if it works for you, it may not work for the next person. I think the internet can be very scary at times, almost to much information and you don't always know what to believe and what not to. I understand your concern over the Zoloft, it concerned me as well, but the bottom line to all of this is the chances of that happening are rare, very rare. My doctor says she has been prescribing Zoloft for a long time now, that it is her favorite one because of the low SEs and how well it works and she has not seen it do that to any of her patients...........

Sorry for the long post, I just decided to look in to this for my own peace of mind and feel that I just need to stick with my plan and keep on truckin (as Sickman would put it).

Thanks,

Old 01-17-2004, 03:48 PM   #10
    tzty
    Inactive

tzty HB User

KayTee....Zoloft is a SSRI and Effexor XR is a SNRI. Maybe that is the difference. I am not sure but once I read what I did and the statements of the court I was done. Good luck an I read you should shave the pill down not go for lowering the dosage by cutting it in half or things like that.

Old 01-17-2004, 08:28 PM   #11
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User

Quote:
    KayTee....Zoloft is a SSRI and Effexor XR is a SNRI. Maybe that is the difference. I am not sure but once I read what I did and the statements of the court I was done. Good luck an I read you should shave the pill down not go for lowering the dosage by cutting it in half or things like that.

What happened with the Celexa/Paxil thing is that the Celexa seemed to quit working so I was switched to Paxil but could not take the SEs so after five weeks I started tapering down and that is when the withdrawal hit me........so at 10mg the doc had me stop completely.....it was making me sick whether I took it or not, so we decided to get it over with.........and put me on Xanax to help with the withdrawal (it was pretty bad) and then Zoloft to help with my anxiety issues.

Like I said before, I researched all of the ones I could find today, Celexa, Paxil, Prozac, Effexor XR and Zoloft and found negative information and lawsuits regarding every one of them. For Effexer XR it said that people under 18 were commiting suicide while taking the drug and then I saw a lot of information about how hard it is to withdrawal from, suposedly worse then Paxil, for Paxil it was for severe withdrawal, which I can say first hand is no fun, Zoloft had the same issues withdrawal...........and I did find a case for many of these drugs of which someone is blaming the drug for murder, suicide or some sort of crime or psychotic issue................I'm not saying it can't happen, but I think these are very rare cases...........and like my pharmacist said.......sometimes you don't know what really happened unless you get the full story.......which on the net is not always the case.............

Effexor XR still effects the Serotonin in your brain, it just also works on some other pathways as well, that is why it is called an SNRI.........they basically do the same thing.........just the Effexer works on more pathways...........my good friend takes it and swears by it........she has depression and anxiety both so it helps her both ways..........she used to take Prozac but really likes the XR

I have a good friend who takes Zoloft and loves it. So again it all depends on the person.

About shaving pills, do you mean the Xanax? That I should shave it down as I taper it??

Thanks and I hope my message didn't come on to strong earlier, I just think that there are two sides to everything and that all of these drugs have good and bad raps........so I phoned my pharmacist and doctor as well as did a bit of research to see for myself............and found bad things about all of them.........and good things as well..........

Last edited by KayT; 01-17-2004 at 08:45 PM.

Old 01-17-2004, 09:28 PM   #12
    tzty
    Inactive

tzty HB User

Dear Kaytee, No offense taken. I meant to shave the Zoloft. I was able to just walk away from it with no problems. As you said.....we are all different and work differently. Sometimes I wonder why they give us this stuff. I swear the Neurologist asked the dumbest questions when he put me on it. When I told my family doc she asked me what does that have to do with it. In my case it is like a flow chart. I go for months fine and do wonderful....maybe even years and then it hits agian. I am seeing a great Psychologist now and hope to resolve some things. But your right they all have side effects....look at Vioxx...some bleed and some don't. Just take care....take the meds as you need them.....cut them down and take them every 3 hours if you need. I am told to take them three a day and I may take one every two weeks or longer or maybe daily for a few days. Now I need them cause I am trying to quit smoking.
    Have you tried the Reveal Lightbulbs??? They helped me alot and last year I was amazed I was only on Zoloft about two months. We use them everywhere in the house.....it helps with depression and with SAD. Best wishes, and agian I was not offended. Just grateful you research and read. So many today don't. (((HUGS)))

Old 01-17-2004, 10:40 PM   #13
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User

Hi Joyshow,

I typed a nice long post back to you and the board replied that it was not accepting new posts...........then my post was lost..........

So to make it short and sweet............there are a lot of people who do not research their disorder or the meds they are prescribed.........I am lucky to have a great doctor who has known me for years as well as a friend that has been a counselor for 20 years and works directly with several Psychiatrists. Plus my best friend is a nurse and pharmacy tech. So I have a lot of reliable sources to turn to. This board has helped tremendously as well............

I will tell my sister n law about the Reveal Light Bulbs.......she suffers from seasonal disorder........she's in Alaska right now.......and it snowed there for days and days and I think they ended up with 64 inches or something huge like that.........anyhow, she is pretty down.......so any suggestions I can pass along would be appreciated.......

My daughter was at a sleep over and phoned asking me to come get her.........so I just got back and thought I'd check the board before I hit the sack,]

Goodnight,

Old 01-18-2004, 08:07 AM   #14
    tzty
    Inactive

tzty HB User

Dear Kaytee,
    I hope you had a good rest. Yes tell her about the Reveal Bulbs. I found them made by someone else and have my son using the other brand. They even make them special for ceiling fans which is nice. We use them in all the rooms of he house except the kitchen. The florescent ones cost mega bucks. With all my doctors and ailments we can't afford them now. Take care and we will chat again. I have some information on SAD if you want me to get it to you...((((KAYTEE)))) ^..^)))~~~

Closed Thread