It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Out of control muscle spasms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2004, 02:02 PM   #1
    shanrocks

shanrocks HB User
    Out of control muscle spasms

I have been suffering from anxiety/panic attacks the past few months. Lately, I have been getting flutters, which I assume are muscle spasms, in the strangest places. I get them in my neck, in my face, and under my left breast which causes me to freak out because I automatically panic and think I am having a heart attack. I even went to an Urgent Care place yesterday because I was having the spasms in my upper chest area as well. It felt like little squeezes. They did an EKG and even a chest x-ray and everything was normal??

Anyone else experience these on a consistent basis?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2004, 02:11 PM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Out of control muscle spasms

assuming its anxiety, just accept the flutters and dont tense up and fight back against them

any valium type med will calm your muscles for a while and stop or reduce them

try long soaks in a hot bath or massage or jacuzzi or spa baths, these should all help

beta blocker blood pressure tablets may also help ask doc.be wary of antidepressant meds, these are often prescribed for anxiety problems but can have severe side effects and dont always work
    the doctors should have tried to calm you with advice and reassurance

Old 01-16-2004, 02:17 PM   #3
    shanrocks

shanrocks HB User

The doctors reassured me that I wasn't have a heart attack and said that anxiety/panic attacks often mimic heart attacks. They checked me thoroughly and said I seemed exceptionally healthy. Even though I felt like I couldn't breathe, my lung capacity was 100 % (can't get any better than that). The doc gave me Flexeril (a muscle relaxer). Hopefully that will help. It so hard for me to believe that anxiety/panic/stress can cause all the weird symptoms I have been experiencing lately. Since I am relatively new to experiencing them, it is reassuring to come here and realize others have felt the same. Thanks for your input.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:57 PM   #4
    tracey2775

tracey2775 HB User

Ive been getting muscle spasms a hell of a lot lately, but im getting them in my left cheek, right eye and right eyebrow. Its not really noticable to others but i feel completely stupid when all three start twitching all at once. Its really starting to irritate me now.

Old 01-16-2004, 07:02 PM   #5
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Hi,
    Muscle twitches/spasms can be a symptom of anxiety, but there are other disorders that can cause this as well(such as hypothyroidism). I've been getting these a lot lately because of too little thyroid hormone.

Your muscle spasms are probably due to anxiety, but it would be a good idea to get a complete physical to rule out any other problems.

Good luck~
    hilery

Old 01-16-2004, 08:28 PM   #6
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Cool Re: Out of control muscle spasms

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanrocks
    I have been suffering from anxiety/panic attacks the past few months. Lately, I have been getting flutters, which I assume are muscle spasms, in the strangest places. I get them in my neck, in my face, and under my left breast which causes me to freak out because I automatically panic and think I am having a heart attack. I even went to an Urgent Care place yesterday because I was having the spasms in my upper chest area as well. It felt like little squeezes. They did an EKG and even a chest x-ray and everything was normal??

Dear shanrocks,
    Hi,
    The others already answered your question, just saying Hi and that it is very common but scary the first time.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-18-2004, 08:26 PM   #7
    carrielynn
    Veteran
    (female)

carrielynn HB User

It's possible you're having twitches and spasms because of increased muscle tension. I had this problem when I had very high anxiety about a year ago. My arms and legs would twitch and I also had a lot of aches and pains. I also had problems getting a good deep breath. When you're anxious, your muscles tense up and over time this tension begins to seem normal. (But the twitches and spasms definitely don't.) I saw a biofeedback therapist who hooked my muscles up with electrodes and showed me on a computer screen how tense my muscles were, and then she showed me how to relax them. The graph on the computer showed me when I was successful in relaxing various muscle groups and I would make note of this feeling. The therapist gave me "homework" -- muscle relaxation -- which I diligently practiced every day for months. I'm happy to say that I was able to lower my muscle tension and all the twitches and aches went away and I can also breath deeply. I am now more aware -- mindful -- of when my body becomes tense, whereas before I wasn't able to recognize that.

CarrieLynn

Old 01-19-2004, 06:44 PM   #8
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Question Re: Out of control muscle spasms

Quote:

Dear shanrocks,
    I have been looking back at this post since it has been on here and I jsut have one question if you don't mind answering. Are you on any medications for panic attacks and what are they. I do have these symptoms from panic attacks constantly and I a courious.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-19-2004, 07:47 PM   #9
    Natasha1981

Natasha1981 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hilery79
    Hi,
    Muscle twitches/spasms can be a symptom of anxiety, but there are other disorders that can cause this as well(such as hypothyroidism). I've been getting these a lot lately because of too little thyroid hormone.

Your muscle spasms are probably due to anxiety, but it would be a good idea to get a complete physical to rule out any other problems.

Good luck~
    hilery

Most muscle spasms are completely healthy and most people have them at one time or another. I find I have them a LOT (especially in my legs) when I'm laying down and rested. They are centred in one area (or multiple areas) and sort of feel like they are grumbling, like your stomach does when you're hungry. 90% of the time these are normal and can be a part of anxiety. Thyroid problems, electrolite (sp) imbalances and some neurological disorders can cause these, but it is unlikely in your case.

If it makes you feel any better, I get severe tingling in my chest, neck, jaw and face when I'm anxious (even when I don't emotionally FEEL anxious). That's just part of having an anxiety DISORDER.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:30 AM   #10
    shanrocks

shanrocks HB User

I am not taking any medication yet. I am trying to deal with it without meds as I am hesitant to take any. I do occasionally take muscle relaxers which help. I have had every test possible, including thyroid tests, heart tests, a CT Scan and MRI for severe headaches and muscle spasms in head, and about 5 EKG's the past few months. Everything came out completely normal. I guess I am just having a hard time believing anxiety is causing all these weird aches and pains I am having. I feel like crap all the time, which only makes the anxiety worse. I guess it is just a vicious cycle that I'm gonna have to learn how to manage.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Old 01-20-2004, 08:34 AM   #11
    Natasha1981

Natasha1981 HB User

Quote:
    I am not taking any medication yet. I am trying to deal with it without meds as I am hesitant to take any. I do occasionally take muscle relaxers which help. I have had every test possible, including thyroid tests, heart tests, a CT Scan and MRI for severe headaches and muscle spasms in head, and about 5 EKG's the past few months. Everything came out completely normal. I guess I am just having a hard time believing anxiety is causing all these weird aches and pains I am having. I feel like crap all the time, which only makes the anxiety worse. I guess it is just a vicious cycle that I'm gonna have to learn how to manage.

Thanks for everyone's input!
    I know how you feel. I don't know if you read my post about my general body aches, but they can be quite severe at times. I get a LOT of cramping, in my legs, arms, chest, neck, abdomen, etc,. And I don't even have to be having a panic attack, although panic makes it worse.

You've done all the tests I've done, except for the MRI, and like you everything came back normal here. I know it is hard to accept that it is anxiety, because it might not be. Anxiety just makes it worse at times. Even before I developed panic disorder I had muscle spasms. They usually aren't painful unless they happen a lot, then they can cause cramping. You will probably notice they are "worse" or more frequent when you are relaxed.

Closed Thread