It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Anyone taking Lexapro?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2004, 06:05 PM   #1
    ILCovergirl

ILCovergirl HB User
    Anyone taking Lexapro?

I am going to start taking Lexapro for depression and panic attacks tonight and was looking for other users stories/experience with it. I have heard it makes you extremely tired. I hope it doesn't make me too tired because I have 3 very young children to take care of, but then again there are days my anxiety and depression is so bad I can barely move off my couch.
    I tried Paxil CR with terrible side effects and prozac didn't work as well for me as it did in the past. I am seriously hoping this works for me because my depression and anxiety and is the worst it has ever been.
    Looking for positive feedback about Lexapro but all is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Michele

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2004, 07:15 PM   #2
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Cool Re: Anyone taking Lexapro?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ILCovergirl
    I am going to start taking Lexapro for depression and panic attacks tonight and was looking for other users stories/experience with it. I have heard it makes you extremely tired. I hope it doesn't make me too tired because I have 3 very young children to take care of, but then again there are days my anxiety and depression is so bad I can barely move off my couch.
    I tried Paxil CR with terrible side effects and prozac didn't work as well for me as it did in the past. I am seriously hoping this works for me because my depression and anxiety and is the worst it has ever been.
    Looking for positive feedback about Lexapro but all is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Michele
    Dear ILCovergirl,
    Everyone is looking for POSITIVE feedback on every medication. I don't take this one or have I but there is a new post on the Obsessions and OCD board about this medication. Remember though when you read this stuff to filter it, because "misery really does love company" more then positive answers. There is some information on being tired and since you have not gotten any answers yet, I thought you might want to read this. All medications effect everyone different, so filter what you read. Have a good one.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-18-2004, 07:44 AM   #3
    ILCovergirl

ILCovergirl HB User
    Re: Anyone taking Lexapro?

Thanks for the reply sickman.
    Yes, everyone wants to hear positive things about a medication they are taking. I welcome all of it, good and bad. I guess the "positive" is a way to help me feel better about getting through the side effects and hanging in there until the end result. I understand that what others experience isn't neccessarily what I will experience but that doesn't curb my curiosity as to how it has worked for others. There are pros and cons to taking medication, which kinds and for how long I know, but I have found that I have gotten to a point where I can no longer do this on my own. I have tried therapy, counseling, even the AA&D program by Lucinda Bassett. While these things have helped some, I need something to help get me over the proverbial "hump" so that I can continue down the road of my recovery. It helps to know I am not alone, and it is scary starting a new medicine. It helps to know others experiences so that I know I am not alone in that either. This board is always a great help to me of course, I am grateful to have others to talk to about this as there are times when I feel I am alone.
    Thank you for directing me to the OCD board, I am going to check that out.

Take Care,
    Michele

Old 01-18-2004, 11:57 AM   #4
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to IL girl, lexapro, paxil and prozac are all the same type of antidepressant meds, SSRI type
    you may do better on some other type, effexor and mirtazepine are 2 other types of antidepressants, try to find a pharmacist who will talk to you about this, sometimes a hospital pharmacist will give advice

early side effects can often be a nuisance, a small starting dose and some valium type meds often helps
    as always it helps to build up a stash of valium, it always helps and will enable you to get out and do things on difficult days, goes well with all antidepressants too

Old 01-18-2004, 03:38 PM   #5
    Steve O

Steve O HB User

I began taking Lexapro 2 months ago for anxiety and it made my symptoms 100 times worse. I took Celexa, (first phase of this drug), 1 year before and couldnt' tell any difference compared to being on it and not being on it.

I had to stop taking it because I felt like I was tripping on acid, then again, it's different for everybody so you will ultimately be the best judge of Lexapro.

Old 01-21-2004, 05:17 AM   #6
    Natasha1981

Natasha1981 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hry33
    to IL girl, lexapro, paxil and prozac are all the same type of antidepressant meds, SSRI type
    you may do better on some other type, effexor and mirtazepine are 2 other types of antidepressants, try to find a pharmacist who will talk to you about this, sometimes a hospital pharmacist will give advice
    EW @ remeron/mirtazepine. I took it for 8 weeks once and it did absolutely nothing except make the panic attacks worse. In my CBT group here in Toronto, a few others with panic disorder tried it and had no luck with it. I've been on Effexor (after just trying celexa and having bad luck with it) for 3 days now and it seems to be OK...I hope it works since it is an actual anti-anxiety agent unlike remeron.

Old 01-21-2004, 05:20 AM   #7
    Natasha1981

Natasha1981 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve O
    I began taking Lexapro 2 months ago for anxiety and it made my symptoms 100 times worse. I took Celexa, (first phase of this drug), 1 year before and couldnt' tell any difference compared to being on it and not being on it.

I had to stop taking it because I felt like I was tripping on acid, then again, it's different for everybody so you will ultimately be the best judge of Lexapro.
    Just a word of advice for those with panic disorder, see a psychiatrist and do NOT allow your family physician to treat your panic disorder. Most of them have this ridiculous idea in their head that all anti-depressants are anti-anxiety, and that is baloney. Psychiatrists have a bit more experience dealing with these things and know better than family physicians do.

When I was on celexa my anxiety was the same, I had an absolute loss of appetite (lost 10 lbs in the first week) and had very vivid dreams.

Old 01-21-2004, 07:38 AM   #8
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

I had just the opposite experiance.
    My GP is the only person that I'd allow to treat me.
    Every P'doc I went to tired to tell me that my panic disorder was brought on by something in my past....that I MUST have had an unhappy childhood...which isn't the case at all.
    My first attack came when I was 16 years old taking clothes out of the dryer, not a care in the world one second and scared to death the next.
    One told me that I must have had a bad experiance with a dryer in the past.
    When I said no, he told me that it had to be something like that.
    Like I've said before, I really believe this man thought my parents had stuffed me in a dryer when I was a kid, or something!!

I made the mistake once of telling my GP that I wanted to try an SSRI, he told me that if what I was taking was working there really wasn't any reason to change, but in the end if was up to me.
    I had a terrible time with two different ones, so went back to my old medication.
    He asked me if I wanted to "Talk" to a P'Doc...I said yes.
    "Talk" is what I wanted to do, but that isn't what they had in mind.
    They wanted to put me on an SSRI, even after I told them I'd had severe allergic reactions to two different ones.
    When I told them I would never go on another, they both told me that was the ONLY thing that would help me.

In the end there are good and bad P'doc's and GP's out there.
    IMO, as long as you have faith in your Doctor...no matter P or GP, and he listens to your concerns and works with you that's the most important thing.
    Any Doctor who is a "prefence" Doctor..ie will only do things his/her way or no way is someone to be avoided.
    They have to realize that just because something works for some people doesn't mean it will work for all.

Closed Thread