It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Klonopin or Lexapro????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2004, 01:03 PM   #1
    Aries872
    Inactive

Aries872 HB User
    Klonopin or Lexapro????

I have found a doctor that finally listens to me. He prescribed xanax 2.5 for now. He said if it looks like I am using alot, then he wants me to consider either Klonopin or Lexapro.

I have read good and bad things about both on here. I have bad panic attacks and have found that I am needing the xanax on a daily basis. Sometimes more sometimes less but I never take more than 1 1/2 a day.

I am thinking that Klonopin might be best since I am doing good on the benzo. I really don't want to have to take another drug like lexapro as I am suseptible to the side effects and withdrawals of the anti depressants.

But also, how are the withdrawals from Klonopin??

Please help if you can!!!
    Aries872

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 01:28 PM   #2
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Smile Re: Klonopin or Lexapro????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aries872
    I have found a doctor that finally listens to me. He prescribed xanax 2.5 for now. He said if it looks like I am using alot, then he wants me to consider either Klonopin or Lexapro.

I have read good and bad things about both on here. I have bad panic attacks and have found that I am needing the xanax on a daily basis. Sometimes more sometimes less but I never take more than 1 1/2 a day.

I am thinking that Klonopin might be best since I am doing good on the benzo. I really don't want to have to take another drug like lexapro as I am suseptible to the side effects and withdrawals of the anti depressants.

But also, how are the withdrawals from Klonopin??

Please help if you can!!!
    Aries872
    Dear Aries872,
    You are putting the cart before the horse a little here. Klonopin is the answer if xanax is working for you and it is better for long or longer term usage. You have to stop the panic attacks altogether before you even consider withdrawal. All mental medications have withdrawals no matter if the drug company, any Doctor or anybody else for that matter says different. You can not get rid of the attacks if you are obbessing on withdrawals as a consideration of which one to pick. Benzos work. Lexapro may or may not, then you'll have to deal with that. Be well and don't worry about withdrawals unless the time comes and then you just need to do go off of it correctly. Ge good Aries872

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-19-2004, 02:01 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Klonopin or Lexapro????

klonapin and xanax are both benzos and very useful and have no nasty side effects,problems eventually stopping them are rare, you are lucky to have a doc who will prescribe benzos, many wont and insist on an antidepressant only for anxiety or panic

if you learn relaxation and CBT, you will need less xanax, always carry a few xanax tablets with you, often having them is enough reassurance and you dont need to actually take any

Old 01-19-2004, 04:03 PM   #4
    Aries872
    Inactive

Aries872 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sickman
    Dear Aries872,
    You are putting the cart before the horse a little here. Klonopin is the answer if xanax is working for you and it is better for long or longer term usage. You have to stop the panic attacks altogether before you even consider withdrawal. All mental medications have withdrawals no matter if the drug company, any Doctor or anybody else for that matter says different. You can not get rid of the attacks if you are obbessing on withdrawals as a consideration of which one to pick. Benzos work. Lexapro may or may not, then you'll have to deal with that. Be well and don't worry about withdrawals unless the time comes and then you just need to do go off of it correctly. Ge good Aries872

Sincerely,

Sickman
    Well I would like to have something similar to xanax that does last longer. I like only having to take a med once a day. Xanax works for me really well and I am not sure that when these 30 are gone that the doc will refill. He said that he would recommend Klonopin and I have read that they are in the same family so I was wondering if i took the Klonopin as needed it would be just as good???

Aries872

Old 01-19-2004, 07:41 PM   #5
    Natasha1981

Natasha1981 HB User

Quote:
    Well I would like to have something similar to xanax that does last longer. I like only having to take a med once a day. Xanax works for me really well and I am not sure that when these 30 are gone that the doc will refill. He said that he would recommend Klonopin and I have read that they are in the same family so I was wondering if i took the Klonopin as needed it would be just as good???

Aries872
    Xanax has a lot of a shorter half life than klonopin does. Both are good for panic attacks. Both can cause extreme drowsiness (especially klonopin) when you first take it. Personally, I don't have as much success with klonopin as I do with ativan, as I find klonopin doesn't help with the free floating anxiety between attacks. But everyone is different.

P.S. SSRI anti-depressants can and DO make panic attacks worse for a lot of people.

Old 01-19-2004, 07:41 PM   #6
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Smile Re: Klonopin or Lexapro????

Quote:

Aries872
    Dear Aries872,
    hry33 has been using benzos just as I have and they do work. Anti-depressants are trial and error situiations and it is hard sometimes to find the right one. Klonopin is in the same drug class as xanax although it also has the properties of an anti-convulsant medication. This can help you a lot with the muscle spasms, chest discomfort, etc. In my opinion it is the best choice of medication as a benzo. I have been on xanax to long to switch and my condition warrants. I take a separate anti-convlusant medication which just adds another drug where as Klonopin already has it. Taking Klonopin once a day or even if morning and night would be wonderful. Taking xanax to ease onto something else is one thing but around the clock sucks. Go with the Klonopin when you see your Doctor next. There might be a little adjustment at first but in the long run it is to your benefit. Good luck

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-20-2004, 01:54 AM   #7
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Quote:

Aries872
    \

Klonopin has done wonders for me. I have had xanax available to me for years, but found it's short life left me shakey & worse afterwards than before I took it.
    The Klonopin is working great for me. As for Lexapro, I do not do well on SSRI's, have all the side affects from them. I am on another tricyclic AD now, but til it started working I know the Klonopin was what was helping me for quite a few weeks now. I take one at bedtime & it really helps me get a good nites sleep.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:21 AM   #8
    Aries872
    Inactive

Aries872 HB User

Thanks alot for the quick responses. I appreciate them all. I am gonna talk to my doctor today as I had one this morning on the way into work in the car. I will keep you updated.

Aries872

Old 01-20-2004, 07:28 AM   #9
    Aries872
    Inactive

Aries872 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Natasha1981
    Xanax has a lot of a shorter half life than klonopin does. Both are good for panic attacks. Both can cause extreme drowsiness (especially klonopin) when you first take it. Personally, I don't have as much success with klonopin as I do with ativan, as I find klonopin doesn't help with the free floating anxiety between attacks. But everyone is different.

P.S. SSRI anti-depressants can and DO make panic attacks worse for a lot of people.
    I thought that Klonopin lasted longer therefore the effects would handle the antsy all day anxious feeling better than xanax???

Aries872

Old 01-20-2004, 08:31 AM   #10
    Natasha1981

Natasha1981 HB User

Quote:
    I thought that Klonopin lasted longer therefore the effects would handle the antsy all day anxious feeling better than xanax???

Aries872
    Yes, it DOES last longer, that's what I meant. Xanax and Klonopin aren't usually prescribed for general anxiety but for panic and the free floating anxiety that comes in between attacks.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:34 AM   #11
    Aries872
    Inactive

Aries872 HB User

Okay, thanks. I am gonna try and switch today if I can.

Sincerely,
    Aries872

Old 01-20-2004, 08:41 AM   #12
    Natasha1981

Natasha1981 HB User

Quote:

Sincerely,
    Aries872

Just be on the watch for drowsiness. Even though they are all in the same family, each benzo has different properties and trying a new benzo can cause drowsiness, apathy and ataxia in the beginning of treatment. Your psych/doc will probably give you 0.5 mg to start with (it's a flat, orange pill) and ask you to take one in the morning and one at night.

Good luck and let us know how klonopin works for you.

Last edited by Natasha1981; 01-20-2004 at 08:41 AM.

Old 01-20-2004, 09:35 PM   #13
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Quote:

Sincerely,
    Aries872
    You can always adjust the dose of Klonopin you are taking if you feel it leaves you too drowsy. Each of us has to see how it reacts for us. I react pretty strongly to most meds, but taking the one Klonopin at bedtime works great for me & I don't feel like it leaves me overly drowsy during the day. Let us know how things are going.

Old 01-23-2004, 12:49 PM   #14
    Aries872
    Inactive

Aries872 HB User

I will. Thanks alot. I just really can't decide whether to try lexapro or not. After my nightmare with effexor 3yrs ago, I am scared to. I know I have a slight depression with my anxiety. I will keep you posted.

Aries872

Old 01-24-2004, 01:02 AM   #15
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    I will. Thanks alot. I just really can't decide whether to try lexapro or not. After my nightmare with effexor 3yrs ago, I am scared to. I know I have a slight depression with my anxiety. I will keep you posted.

Aries872
    Hi hun,

I just wanted to add my insight on things. I am currently on Lexapro 10mg. and Klonopin. I've been on all three benzo's.....Xanex, Ativan, and now Klonopin and for me, the Klonopin works the best. I started off taking 2mg a day. One pill in the morning and one at night. It REALLY helped me get over these attacks. I felt like myself again. I am slowly tappering down and I am now taking half of a 1mg tablet. You just have to adjust it until it suits you.

As for the Lexapro..... I just want to say that I was put in the hospital after having hallucinations from medicine the doctor had me on(not Lexapro). I was VERY scared to take another medication because of this, but finally gave in. I started on 10mg of Lexapro which was too high for me, so my doctor told me to break it in half. Which I did for over a month. Then finally upped it to 10mg and I am doing fine on that. I've been on it now for almost four months and I feel good. I still do have my bad days, but I think that is from drinking too much caffeine. It all just adds to my anxiety level. I need to quit soon.

I just wanted to let you know of my experience since I am taking the same thing. I think if you start on the dose your doctor wants you too, you will be fine. If it is too strong, then you can always lower it.

Good luck,
    Chantel

Closed Thread