It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• feeling spaced out most of the time

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2004, 06:57 PM   #1
    feebee

feebee HB User
    feeling spaced out most of the time

Hi,

I have had panic disorder for the last 8 years, I am 30 years old. over the last 6 months my anxiety has flared up again and I feel spaced out almost all day long.

Its weird to describe "spaced out", its almost as if I have been staring or day dreaming for a while. I cant seem to pay attention because I keep thinking about this feeling. I feel like people around me must be getting sick of me constantly whinging and running away. Then I start to think I am losing my mind, and then my thoughts get worse and I feel that I will be stuck in my head and cant have a conversation with anyone. its a horrible cycle.

Is this an anxiety symptom ? my physciatrist says that it is, but then his consultations are not even 10mins so i feel like he just wants to rush his patients out, and I am not 100% sure he actually listens to what I am saying. Enven while I am talking to him I feel like my concentration is so bad and I am spaced out.

Does anyone know how to get over this feeling ? its taking over my life and making me so isecure and agorophobic.

Thanks,
    feebee.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2004, 09:56 PM   #2
    PJG

PJG HB User
    Re: feeling spaced out most of the time

This is a very common anxiety disorder. I have had the "spacey" feeling myself many times before. It will pass eventually. Are you getting any therapy other than "10 minutes"? Relaxation has been a huge benefit to me. I do 10 minutes of progressive muscle relaxation followed by 10 minutes of mental relaxation. I use the relaxation tape from the "Attacking Anxiety" program. You can buy a relaxation tape at target or online. Also, try to keep a positive attitude. I know this one is really tough to do but just keep trying and eventually you will feel better and more positive.
    PJ

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feebee
    Hi,

I have had panic disorder for the last 8 years, I am 30 years old. over the last 6 months my anxiety has flared up again and I feel spaced out almost all day long.

Its weird to describe "spaced out", its almost as if I have been staring or day dreaming for a while. I cant seem to pay attention because I keep thinking about this feeling. I feel like people around me must be getting sick of me constantly whinging and running away. Then I start to think I am losing my mind, and then my thoughts get worse and I feel that I will be stuck in my head and cant have a conversation with anyone. its a horrible cycle.

Is this an anxiety symptom ? my physciatrist says that it is, but then his consultations are not even 10mins so i feel like he just wants to rush his patients out, and I am not 100% sure he actually listens to what I am saying. Enven while I am talking to him I feel like my concentration is so bad and I am spaced out.

Does anyone know how to get over this feeling ? its taking over my life and making me so isecure and agorophobic.

Thanks,
    feebee.

Old 01-27-2004, 11:18 PM   #3
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

I would suggest a therapist that gives you more than 10 mins, plus are you on any meds right now?

Old 01-28-2004, 11:49 AM   #4
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

the spaced out feeling may well be derealisation or depersonalisation, look these up on the net via a search engine, they are caused by stress or anxiety, meds and learning how to relax help, agree that maybe you need another psych

Closed Thread