It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Xanax XR & Paxil CR

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2004, 10:04 AM   #1
    Ed1944
    Inactive
    (male)

Ed1944 HB User
    Xanax XR & Paxil CR

I have been on Xanax XR (.5mg) once a day and Paxil CR (12.5mg) once at bedtime now for 12 days and thought I would share my early experiences. I have not had any real bad side effects from either drug, although I find myself yawning alot. The doctor started me on the lowest dosage of both drugs then adjust fromt there.

On the negative side I was at a restaurant last Sunday night and had a big time panic attack. I realize the Paxil may take awhile but through the Xanax would have stopped it. It started with a increased sense of heat in the chest. Like the blood was pooling in the chest cavity. From there it went to a extreme hot flash, hands sweating, peoples voices sounding distant, could not eat or at least force myself to swallow. The table had a pool of water where my hands were. I was very uncomfortable, knowing if I excused myself and went outdoors only for a second the cold air would snap my system back, alot like an ammonia capsule. I did not do that but suffered for what seem to be enternity. I think my system just ran out of adrenalin and the PA gradually stopped.

Maybe the Xanax was not strong enough? I was at the 22 hour since the last tablet, as a previous poster stated maybe it just ran out before the 24 hours. But I had minor PA's during the day also. I changed the time I take the Xanax XR to the morning. The doctor prescribed the Paxil at bedtime. I am going to hang in there till the next appointment and see if things improve. I was disappointed however that Xanax did not even cool the PA any.

Perhaps I came off the 45mg of Remeron and 10mg of Buspar to quick. Thinking the new drugs would pick up the withdrawl. Thinking out loud.
    The brain shocks from the Buspar disappeared after stopping the drug.

I don't post alot but read other postings regarding drugs and there effects or lack of effects.

Regards,
    ed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2004, 10:53 AM   #2
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    Re: Xanax XR & Paxil CR

That was the very reason why my Doctor wouldn't put me on the XanaxXR.
    He told me that since it's released slowly throughout the day it doesn't have the same effect as regular Xanax at stopping the attacks in their tracks.
    I may have misunderstood what he was telling me, but from what I gathered he was trying to say, that yes, it's always in your system put doesn't kick into "overdrive" so to speak...to stop an attack from happening like the regular Xanax does.

Sorry I couldn't be of any real help, just wanted to pass on what my Doctor told me.
    Like I said I may be off the mark, but this is what I understood him to mean.

Last edited by Graciecat; 02-11-2004 at 10:57 AM.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:31 PM   #3
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User

My doc advised me that Xanax XR is supposed to last all day, but they have found that it only lasts round 6-8 hours. I take it three times a day..........1mg in the am........... .5 in the afternoon and .5 at bedtime. I am tapering to a lower dose, as I have been on it to offset withdrawal symptoms and new drug start up SEs.

I like it better because with the regular Xanax I felt a drop and got shaky when it wore off.

These drugs work different for each person. I would tell your doc what's going on and see what changes can be made to help.

Kaytee:-)

Old 02-11-2004, 02:24 PM   #4
    Karkel

Karkel HB User

New here....just got paxil and xanax for my anxiety....read all the side effects now afraid to take it. I just had breast implants done 11/18/03 and I am having alot of anxiety if it was the right choice or not. I'm in pain and fear all the time...does the paxil help ?

Last edited by Karkel; 02-11-2004 at 02:25 PM.

Old 02-13-2004, 07:37 AM   #5
    Nikki9398

Nikki9398 HB User

GOOD ADVICE FOR YOU...
    STOP THE PAXIL....
    Paxil (just 25 mg) is the worst drug I have ever taken.. It makes you a complete robot. I am going through the withdrawl and it is even worse. Do some research and you will see all the class action suits against paxil. Its such a bad drug.
    For your panic attacks take be'calmd... its clean and works better than prozac. zolft or paxil cr ( i took them all)

Closed Thread